[1.0.4.0540][Bug] Enchantments "Fine" doesn't modify item's appearance.

G-offspring

Question

Hi there,

first of all let me thank all of you at Obsidian for delivering the best RPG I've played in years!

I wish you the best of luck with further development of this new franchise and all other endeavors you have in mind!!!

I've stumbled across a bug, trying to do my first enchantment in the game - enchanting the garbage sabre to "Fine" one.

Previously I've found some of the "Fine" weapons and armor in the game, so I knew, that the appearance of these items changes

to a "prettier" version (both in-game, paperdoll and the inventory icon). But doing such enchantment myself hadn't changed the weapon's look,

although it added the blue background to it in the inventory cell.

I,ve tried save/load but to no avail (although before 1.0.3. all my found "Fine" items appeared same as the ordinary ones, but the patch gave them new look).

The enchanted "Fine" items share the same enchanted properties as the found or bought ones (+2 Acc. 1.15 DMG

and show the same "Fine" icon in the enchanting UI) - they differ only in their appearance, and thats quite emmersion breaking.

I've made a save with sabre and robe enchanted this way, and placed them near the "Fine" sabre and robe, which I bought.

You can find them in Eder's inventory to the right - the difference between bought as "Fine" and enchanted to "Fine" is evident.

Please find the screenshot, dxdiag, log file and save in attachment below.

Thanks in advance! Hope to see it fixed in the next patch)))))))))

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kchk1q1s5un5ftq/bug_report.zip?dl=0

post-100042-0-85220200-1429828351_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

16 answers to this question

The appearance doesn't change when you add an enchantment, only the properties. A found Fine Sabre is not going to look the same as a standard Sabre with the Fine enchantment added to it. Similarly, adding an Exceptional enchantment to a Fine Sabre will also not change the appearance.

tl;dr - not a bug

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

The appearance doesn't change when you add an enchantment, only the properties. A found Fine Sabre is not going to look the same as a standard Sabre with the Fine enchantment added to it. Similarly, adding an Exceptional enchantment to a Fine Sabre will also not change the appearance.

tl;dr - not a bug

Really??

On release, Crafting the "Fine" enchantment would modify the apprearance of items. In 1.03 this bug only affected certain armors. Now in 1.04 this bug affects all armors. 

What would the logic be behind not altering the appearance of items by crafting certain enchantments for them vs finding them?

Furthermore, why would this only apply to armors? In 1.04 I can craft the fine enchantment for weapons and it changes the appearance. Look at the sword as an example. Crafting the Fine enchantment used to alter the appearance of all weapons and armors (other than the unique ones) and now it does not. Clearly this is a bug.

• Like 2

Hmmm. You may be right, but I can tell you that I've never experienced that.

I guess I'm not seeing why adding an enchantment to a piece of armor (or a weapon) would physically alter the properties of that item. It makes sense that it would magically alter it, but not physically.

Unfortunately, I don't have the crafting materials to test this myself, but will check it out as soon as I do.

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

tl;dr - not a bug

Really??

On release, Crafting the "Fine" enchantment would modify the apprearance of items. In 1.03 this bug only affected certain armors. Now in 1.04 this bug affects all armors. 

What would the logic be behind not altering the appearance of items by crafting certain enchantments for them vs finding them?

Furthermore, why would this only apply to armors? In 1.04 I can craft the fine enchantment for weapons and it changes the appearance. Look at the sword as an example. Crafting the Fine enchantment used to alter the appearance of all weapons and armors (other than the unique ones) and now it does not. Clearly this is a bug.

Really? On release? Wow. I haven't seen any of appearance differencies before 1.03, not even for unique items. I've actually thought the devs have added new content with 1.03 )))

And I have tried not only sabre and robe: sword you mentioned has also remained as ordinary item visually. Hatchets, daggers, clubs, Leather armor, etc. also didn't changed.

Its clearly a bug, when some people have it and some don't.

Does anyone tried enchanting to "Fine" in 1.05 beta patch? Since as I understood from what is written above, this bug disappears and appears again from patch to patch.

Just enchanted a base Morningstar by adding "Fine" to it. The appearance didn't change.

So far as realism permits, this means the system is working as intended. If magic existed in the real world, enchanting my Honda to go as fast as a Ferrari should not turn my Honda into a Ferrari.

• Like 1

Does anyone tried enchanting to "Fine" in 1.05 beta patch? Since as I understood from what is written above, this bug disappears and appears again from patch to patch.

Just enchanted a base Morningstar by adding "Fine" to it. The appearance didn't change.

So far as realism permits, this means the system is working as intended. If magic existed in the real world, enchanting my Honda to go as fast as a Ferrari should not turn my Honda into a Ferrari.

Thanks for testing! :) But as Kamov23 said above, the enchantment to "Fine" altered the appearance already in release version, and still changes weapon appearance in 1.04 for him, only the armor became bugged. So it is a bug according to game systems.

According to Lore and common sense... Well, its not purely some magic-out-of-nowhere in Eora, if I understand the lore correctly (and I have not reached Defiance Bay yet and only briefly looked through the Almanac, so what I write can be bollocks of heretic ignorance), its souls and soul fragments around used to invoke it, and souls should manifest the essence of what they bring on the original form of the object. Like Durance's staff looks ordinary to the simple folk, but there are flames and glyphs for those who know how to "watch". So your Honda wouldn't necessarily turn into Ferrari when enchanted, but could become a giant adra head spewing rainbows out of the nostrils and flying with the speed of a rocket.

It's an enchanment system, not a transmutation system.

I just ran the game in build 1.0.2.0508, and enchanting a sword with Fine did not change the appearance to match a Fine Sword. Do you have a specific example where the appearance did change, because I am unaware of a system ever being in the game that altered the physical models of in-game items aside from adding visual effects.

I just ran the game in build 1.0.2.0508, and enchanting a sword with Fine did not change the appearance to match a Fine Sword. Do you have a specific example where the appearance did change, because I am unaware of a system ever being in the game that altered the physical models of in-game items aside from adding visual effects.

Thanks for answering! The only example I got that the Fine enchantment should (or at least used to) modify the physical appearance was from this comment from kamov23:

tl;dr - not a bug

Really??

Other than that I have no info that any physical changes apply.

I never experienced nor did I expect to experience a change in appearance by adding fine to an item. Not with the released version, which I bought on release day and not with 1.05, which I'm running right now. Items always looked the same. Only when you add some elemental damage to a weapon, it shows. And quite frankly, I could do without that effect of my people running around as if being on fire.

If you're proposing that they remove the godawful Slaying vfx, I'll second that right now.

I am unaware of a system ever being in the game that altered the physical models of in-game items aside from adding visual effects.

That doesn't work on the inventory paperdoll, however. Bug report.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus