Steam now has Paywall mods

Paid mods, like DLCs, are not inherently evil, it's all about value.  Is the mod offering you enough substance to justify its asking price?  It's just like making any other purchase, does the content justify the price?

The real question problem with skyrim is that the mods justify the asking price of the game.

My thoughts on how character powers and urgency could be implemented:

http://forums.obsidi...nse-of-urgency/

Paid mods, like DLCs, are not inherently evil, it's all about value.  Is the mod offering you enough substance to justify its asking price?  It's just like making any other purchase, does the content justify the price?

They are evil.

I bought a mod yesterday, Firelink Implements, for 0,92 Euros (scaled down the price to minimum). Tried it. It was an armor in a chest and a sword.

The location of the item wasn't in description.

The description didn't say that the armor hadn't the female version (he says he has now - but no screenshots whatsoever).

The armor cannot be tempered and upgraded in-game (as all other armors can).

Sure, he adds things... but this comes with *no warranty*. And after refunding, I have to wait "a few days" for my cash (still don't have it), and when it does, it is in Valve's Steam Vallet. So essentially *Valve doesn't lose it* like EVER :p I'm still forced to spend it on Steam so they practically keep it. Nice huh? With no additional investment from their side! No quality control! No responsibility!

And mods will conflict with one another... oooh they will!

Nexus is now evil and should be boycotted:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/72850/discussions/0/611704730320208809/

The cancer called shill is spreading.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Meh, just jackals jawing.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Homeskillet is a fairly effective troll:

Forbes? LMFAO.

They have no authority in gaming.

If you had gave me a link to IGN then your point would've been kind of valid.

That's some subreddit or /chan fishing for lulz. They also picked an account with 0.8h registered in Skyrim. Classic.

• Like 2

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Im tired of these cheapskates not paying for all the mods that require lots of hardwork. You people don't appreciate anything. I consistently see you people ♥♥♥♥♥ing about mods. Sorry but modders deserve money, they deserve it because of all the hardwork they put into it.

Hear! Hear!  I just mowed all my neighbours lawns and not one of the cheap bastards gave me a cent.  What about all the hard work I put into mowing all those lawns?  It's not like I had a choice abou...... d'oh.  :facepalm:

I mowed a neighbour's lawn the other day. I got paid $50. Well, when I say I got paid $50 I mean that Masport got paid $25 for licensing me the lawnmower and Shell got $12.50 for licensing me the petrol I used to run it.

Not even a joke, really. Check out John Deere's "you don't actually buy our tractors" shtick.

Sure will be something when Fallout 4 is unveiled soon, featuring a toolset that interacts incredibly good with the Workshop. Uploading your mods have never been easier! And, get this, now you can get paaaaid!

Oh, it will definitely output encrypted esms/ esps that only work/ can only be exported to the workshop- at very, very least as default option. I'd put a decent amount of money on it.

They'll go the whole hog drm and all, it's as inevitable as Valve trying to monetise mods was as soon as they established the workshop. It's got a justification (protecting modders' paid work, you wouldn't steal a mod!), it's got benefit- for them- of more money and it's relatively easy to do. End of the day that is the whole point of having a walled garden architecture and loss leading in the first place, you accumulate power so when you want to do something unpopular what you say goes- it's no coincidence that the SSA is the most consumer unfriendly of any portal EULA, they know they can get away with it.

I mean, I'll do what I can do and would encourage others to do so as well, but there's a reason PC gamers are known as spineless jellies, and it isn't just because boycott CoD groups end up with most people playing it though that is certainly a big factor- it's because they have been turning their thousand dollar electronic devices into consoles with all their restrictions (and more, 1st sale doctrine still applies to console games, after all) willingly.

• Like 2

Not paying for mods either. End of story. 

If that makes me an angry old man, so be it. 

Me neither, and then i´m happy to be an angry old man ;) (though i have and will donate to mods if i like them)

If i mod Skyrim, i will use Nexus, i just hope it doesn´t hurt them too much. There are some creators who have taken down their content/tools because of fear or others already trying to bank in on their work.

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

And it now appears that paid mods have been given the Nguyen Ngoc Loan treatment, with full refunds. Probably refunds to steam wallet, but nevertheless.

(lollin at the comments though, one million variations of 'we know you really loved us Valve' incoming. If it weren't in bad taste I'd coin the phrase 'Battered User Syndrome')

The taste is in th interpretation of the term 'battered'. chaos1_zps28416b2c.gif

lifesize_mcnugget_zpswtff1cwf.jpg

And it now appears that paid mods have been given the Nguyen Ngoc Loan treatment, with full refunds. Probably refunds to steam wallet, but nevertheless.

(lollin at the comments though, one million variations of 'we know you really loved us Valve' incoming. If it weren't in bad taste I'd coin the phrase 'Battered User Syndrome')

Reminds me of this bit of silliness, spoilered for profanity:

Dirk here, bringing you the latest word in entertainment news. The future of gaming is in good hands people, we go now live to the boardroom of Omni Consumer Products, entertainment development division.

"Okay, this is getting serious gentlemen! Gamer numbers are dwindling, they seem dissatisfied with an endless slew of cheap WOW knock offs and virtually identical annual shooters. What can we do to win back their hearts and minds, to reinvigorate the medium and blaze a trail into the future of interactive entertainment?"

Nervous glances flicker across the boardroom table, ties are loosened, damp brows wiped with shaking hands and suddenly dry lips are licked surreptitiously. An awful silence arises punctuated by nervous swallows and restrained coughs, somebody, anybody, please speak.

Slowly a trembling arm is raised into the air, and all eyes turn to see Piotrowski's corpse white face and wide doe-like eyes suddenly looking for somewhere to run.

"For christ's sake Steve you don't need to raise your hand, this ain't ****ing kindergarten! Spit it out."

"Erm yes sir, erm we er could try to, well to put it bluntly, we could try to make some quality original games. You know just to...test.....whether.......they'd........."

"GO AND STAND IN THE CORNER FACING THE WALL!"

"YOU TIT."

"Right gentleman, I trust we'll have no more of that kind of talk around here, has anybody else got any ideas?"

"I've got one." It's the new guy, a bald middle aged gentleman, with schoolteacher glasses, the physique of a life long accountant and the eyes of a gibbering psychopath.

"Mr Boddiker, you have the floor."

"Way I see it these losers have got brand loyalty, they've grown up with this ****, it's been like their second ****ing family. So let's hold it hostage!"

Eyes narrow and seats creak as executives lean forward, he might be on to something.

**** Jones smiles and leans back, this new man's his sort of people. "Go on Clarence."

"We arbitrarily restrict everything, every game and every service, we force the bastards through every rung that we can think of. And every god damn part of this pointless procession we monetise and advertise to maximise our profit. We indoctrinate these suckers, beat them down and insult them until they're sure that they're entitled to nothing other than what crumbs we deign to sweep from our tables."

"And then we start to charge, by the hour and by the minute, and if they seem a little discontent we give away some free in-game hats for their pathetic ****ing avatars!"

"Gentlemen, we beat them down so mercilessly that eventually they'll rejoice at the physical contact of our boot smashing down on their face."

Silence for the longest moment and then **** Jones begins to clap, a wave of applause roars through the room and Clarence Boddiker is hoisted high onto the executives shoulders. They carry him into the next room where the finest hookers, narcotics, booze and cuisine that money can buy await.

Steve Piotrowski left alone in the conference room watches the departing executives and shakes his head. "Why restrict access when sales numbers are falling? That...that makes no sense."

"FACE THE ****ING WALL PIOTROWSKI, I HAVEN'T FORGOTTEN YOU!"

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

https://steamcommunity.com/games/SteamWorkshop/announcements/detail/208632365253244218

Removing Payment Feature From Skyrim Workshop
April 27 - Alden

We're going to remove the payment feature from the Skyrim workshop. For anyone who spent money on a mod, we'll be refunding you the complete amount. We talked to the team at Bethesda and they agree...

Edited by ktchong
  • Like 1

N.B. the Viet Cong won in the end and whatever he says, he doesn't actually change.

Paid mods will be back later, they say as much in the announcement. Just with better (well, any would be more) PR push prior and more focus on managing/ fragmenting opposition to it.

ib4 Gabe Newell "addresses the issue" by implying it would have been good for everyone involved, ending with a vague statement heavily implying they are still trying to do it.

Yes, i wouldn´t be surprised :grin:

• Like 1

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

but stepping into an established, years old modding community in Skyrim was probably not the right place to start iterating.

Pretty much means they will do it again with game that doesn't have "a years old modding community".

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Fallout 4 would be the logical choice, no doubt...but perhaps Bethesda will not wish to stick its hands in this controversy again. We'll see, I suppose.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Is this an official valve post? It does not read much as a typical corporate talk.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours