Steam now has Paywall mods

nFddwIH.png

• Like 5

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

nFddwIH.png

Yeah... no. The writing has been on the wall since, well, forever. If there is a lesson to be learned from all this, is that, ironically, we never learn. But who cares, because, convenience.

I'm waiting for Valve to announce that they've "listened to concerns" and are graciously reducing their cut from 75% to 50%. It'll be hilarious to see the Stockholm syndrome kick into overdrive and the masses of Valve lemmings run back to into the fold.

I've also had a revelation. How about we develop a framework so Youtube has a per-account paywall. Because, "why shouldn't youtubers be rewarded for their hard 'work'?". And while we're at it, a paywall for forum posts, too, because "why shouldn't I be rewarded for my hard 'work'?". Some fool's out there waiting to be parted from his money, so DO IT OBSIDZ.

• Like 5

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

nFddwIH.png

Yeah... no. The writing has been on the wall since, well, forever. If there is a lesson to be learned from all this, is that, ironically, we never learn. But who cares, because, convenience.

I'm waiting for Valve to announce that they've "listened to concerns" and are graciously reducing their cut from 75% to 50%. It'll be hilarious to see the Stockholm syndrome kick into overdrive and the masses of Valve lemmings run back to into the fold.

I've also had a revelation. How about we develop a framework so Youtube has a per-account paywall. Because, "why shouldn't youtubers be rewarded for their hard 'work'?". And while we're at it, a paywall for forum posts, too, because "why shouldn't I be rewarded for my hard 'work'?". Some fool's out there waiting to be parted from his money, so DO IT OBSIDZ.

I can see it happen, after having to pay for getting bugfixes for a scheduled amount of time. Masked as "Quality Guarantee" of course.

But for now, are we now witnessing the death of the modder?

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

But I don't think this issue is better on consoles. In fact, you usually don't have any mods on consoles at all. In worst case scenario, you can still play pc games exactly the same way- without mods.

• Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

We might be, hopefully though - this pushes people to actually start flipping out from being mistreated. I was pro Steam, but they certainly proved how well they handled that vote of confidence. Guess that really does prove decentralization is always the way to go. I'll be trying to aviod that service as much as possible in the future and spread out my gaming portfolio.

It was fun while it lasted though and for a while it really looked like Valve were the good guys and had figured out how to actually benefit the customer and still make a pretty buck... Without getting too greedy. That certainly changed.. Or perhaps rather, they showed themselves to be what most of you guys always knew .. You are older and wiser after all  ;)

Fortune favors the bald.

We might be, hopefully though

I don´t believe it will be the death, but it will be blow to the modding community and spill a lot of bad blood, which it already did. In the long run it could also be a blow to the modding sites when more modders switch to steam to make a quick bug. And of course for the mod consumers it´s **** anyway :(

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

The thing I've always wondered...what does Valve do with most of its money? I mean, seriously, they get a ~30% cut from all games sold on Steam...and control, what over an estimated 50% of the entire industry? Where does all of the money go? And why in the world do they need more?

At this point, I'm surprised this isn't the situation:

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I'm surprised it took Valve this long to implement.

TF2 hats have been a thing for how long now?

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Mann-Conomy_Update

Five years ago: this is when "community-made" content was first introduced and the TF2 store was implemented. I remember this update, because it was after this that I started to hate TF2, and substantially reduced my playing time and eventually quit.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Looks like GOG will be getting all my money in the future.

I'm sure Zor is thinking something along the lines of "all you had to do was listen" right now.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

It was fun while it lasted though and for a while it really looked like Valve were the good guys and had figured out how to actually benefit the customer and still make a pretty buck... Without getting too greedy. That certainly changed.. Or perhaps rather, they showed themselves to be what most of you guys always knew .. You are older and wiser after all  ;)

Monopolies are *always* bad. Even the best people faced with absolute power become corrupt. Steam is too big now, and thought it could get away with anything.

And money... money changes everything. I once lost a lifelong friend due to money.

Is the next step going to be Valve enforcing locked game files so games are only able to be modded with Steam  "authorised" mods?  It's the only way I can see paid mods not simply being freely distributed by independent mod sites.

Or the Steam client will report those users to ValvEA to get their accounts banned.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

guise this'll be even better than gamergate

Already is. Petition is 97.000+ strong and rising.

Last time I've seen so powerful a movement was a few years ago when they tried to pass ACTA in Poland. I actually worked back then in an open source foundation and spoke on the national radio against ACTA... ah, good times.

Hundreds of thousands went to the streets and forced the Prime Minister to abandon the idea. I'm not naive to think my speech was the main or even significant reason, but I certainly did my part.

But ValvEA is no Prime Minister who relies on popular votes... they are a corporate monopoly. We shall see what happens.

guise this'll be even better than gamergate

Maybe

All of the articles I've seen are (mostly) for it and all of the modders I know are against it. Granted I don't know more than maybe a dozen but I'm also seeing a lot of resistance on some other boards I visit

I only dabble in modding but something about making monetizing it doesn't feel right to me. Probably why I'm not rich.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

I see what  Valve is doing as making money off the backs of the laborers.  25% to the modder and 75% to Valve and Bethesda.  I have donated to modders when they made a mod I enjoyed and felt was well done.  A twenty four refund policy is unreasonable.  It can take hours of play time to find aa conflict or problem with a mod.  I also see legal issues.  A modder gets paid for their work and I have no problem there but what about those who may have contributed to the mod?  Voice actors, another modder, a modler etc.  Sure you can say it is up to the modder to reimburse them but will he or she.  I also see tax issues.  This now income to the modder.    My feeling is that Valve has opened a can of very nasty and poisonous worms. 

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg