Steam now has Paywall mods

Countdown for "Whiny gamers are entitled"-articles starting now.

• Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

My problem here is that whenever I use mods from the Steam workshop, 9 times out of 10 they don't work at all, don't work as intended or break something else. What's my motivation to try out mods that have a 10% chance of working at all, let alone don't know if they will be worth my time, if I have to pay money for it? I didn't get Assassin's Creed: Unity because it doesn't work. I'm not paying for the privelege of turning my other games into Assassin's Creed: Unity either.

• Like 2

Q. Do I need to provide bank information even though I don’t want to receive revenue share on the item(s)?

A. Yes, you will need to provide valid bank information regardless of whether your item is a paid item or a free item.

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/workshoppaymentinfofaq/#Banking_Information

Wonder why they want your banking info for a free item.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

^The %75 side steam-dev split but we dont know the details yet^

...but this thing is another example of Free Labor. While peasants fight for some change bigger companies gets the cash. What a good way to make revenue from modders. No need to worry for social worries, payments, health... anything. No need for devs to hire real employee just make money from modders back.

This was all started from TF2 workshop, gigabytes of items sold and made millions to the one company and split the %25 to other houndred thousants of modders. While some may argue Its better than nothing lets Its not really true. In the long run this is not a real full time job and for those who (real employee) made their living by this are gona get paid much much less because of this.

Not the mention there is no infustructure to prevent stealling the modders work! There are allready fake accounts publishing some mods as their own nd making money of It. How are they gona protect the publishers? How are they gona protect the consumers about false projects or abondoning (bugged-out) projects? You cant just make one button and expect a good service. This is absolutly greedy system on Steams behalf really upset by this s***. 

Also no wonder Todd Howard behind this s*** and be the first conpany to make this happen outside the Valve.

Also, I'm upset with another thing which is Steam just made something and throw the modders into the gamers feet. Therefore now modders have to deal with this s***storm and Gaben just grabs his popcorn while counts his money. What a utter s***storm this is

Edited by ruzen

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

I have no problem with paywall mods.  Why shouldn't people get paid for their work?  Obviously, there are a myriad of issues that can, and will, come up, such as copyright infringement and using work from other people's mods to create and sell your own.  There will definitely be growing pains.  Issues will arise and things will get ugly at times, but ultimately (hopefully) an infrastructure will be put in place to deal with these kinds of issues... eventually.  My major problem with this particular program is Valve taking 75 percent of the profits.  That's ****ing absurd.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Come to think of it, there's already third party DLC's. What's the difference really once you pay for the mods?

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Yeah, but then they'll release their game on Steam. I suppose mod makers that are in it for fun will keep on releasing their mods for free (and somehow guarding against people stealing their work wholesale).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

yeah, the big projects that take a dozen guys and thousands of hours and actually add something cool like the kotor 2 restoration or Third Age.. Sure, but this is horse armour for 8$ and a shameless money grab. Glad to see the outrage and I hope it gets canned - but also great to open discussions on proper rewards for modders and how that should be handled.

• Like 2

Fortune favors the bald.

I think the pricing will sort itself out over time.  The free market has a way of self-adjusting.  I'm still trying to wrap my head around Valve taking 75%, though.

Lamarss+rolled+a+random+image+posted+in+

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Certainly would have helped for them to give some explanation with a little detail.

I think the pricing will sort itself out over time.  The free market has a way of self-adjusting.  I'm still trying to wrap my head around Valve taking 75%, though.

It should at very least be the other way around.

"Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely." This might come down to Steam having too dominant position in PC gaming. They think they can do pretty much anything and people will still come to Steam, because where else they would go.

Edited by kirottu
  • Like 1

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

So the pricing of mods, how exactly do we calculate this? Say the average RPG game costs £40 and gives a sixty hour experience, how much will a single sword or suit of armour cost in comparison? Tuppence ha'penny, a full shilling, even that seems relatively expensive for something which will not really affect ones game in any discernible way, but is merely affectation.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Yeah, there is definitely a problem with a company, any company, having essentially a monopoly.  I don't care how well intentioned or kind hearted the company may be going in, they will abuse their position of power at some point.  It's inevitable.  It's human nature.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Valve and Bethesda, it's been said. I read on reddit that Valve actually takes 30% - similar to the cut they take for other sales - but there's no way of confirming it.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.