Reviving Exhortation - Who thought of this?

Alright, so, not too long ago, I got Reviving Exhortation for Pallegina. I had decided that, since I'm a Paladin too, and mine suck, she should suck a bit with me, and be the support muppet. Said and done, she was the one sentenced to pick up Reviving Exhortation, because we ran out of cool stuff to pick - thank god we're not Rangers, so we still have a little bit to pick from.

I haven't had much use for it at all, really, until quite recently. I often resurrect my party members, even when I don't need to - which is a bit counter-intuitive, I know, given that the smart thing is to just keep them lying down; you know how the proverb goes - "passed-out people lose no health" - and so on.

Anyway, Durance has gone down a few times lately, and I've taken to reviving him, for no sensible reason. But then he.. uhm.. passes out. Mysteriously. At first I thought it was something with Engagement - because when you get mysteriously slapped for no reason and die, it's usually Engagement's fault.

But then it happened again, and I started to take a look at the cause. And.. What the hell?

g9pmvdR.png

Seriously, what genius thought of this?

Even my Edér has a mere 173 End. :lol:

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

This is Obs' way of rewarding you for...yeah.

Hehe...you wasted a slot!

But hey...everything is balanced, needed, yeah!

Basically, it sucks.  We know.  We also sympathize.

The Devs do not.

Take Reviving Exhortation, stand up and take more Health damage for 15 seconds. Enjoy! :lol:

t50aJUd.jpg

The problem with that talent is that it should use percentages but instead uses flat numbers. It would be more worthwile if it restored 80% and then dropped you by 50%. As it is, barely any character can survive the -163.5 endurance hit and there is no character crucial enough to battle to bring back for 16 seconds just to have them faceplant again.

Edited by Galaen
  • Like 4

Seems like the idea was to give you a chance to revive a character and have them do a final shot at the enemy.

Which gives me the mental image of your paladin in the corner, encouraging the battered boxer to "get back in there and give it all you got!" for some reason.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The problem with that talent is that it should use percentages but instead uses flat numbers. It would be more worthwile if it restored 80% and then dropped you by 50%. As it is, barely any character can survive the -163.5 endurance hit and there is no character crucial enough to battle to bring back for 16 seconds just to have them faceplant again.

The best part was that in the battle just before I took this picture, Durance actually faceplanted *after* all the opponents were dead, like he had a seizure and a heart attack, and then just got up again like the smelly drunk he is. :lol:

I'd be fine if it got you up with 50% Endurance, and got you down to 10% when the duration runs out. Would give you room to heal yourself once you got up. But either way, yes, it should obviously be based on percentages of target total health. Right after the whole "Neutral NPC:s show up as allies", this thing here has to be the dumbest thing I've seen on the mechanical side of things in PoE so far. :lol:

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

Balancing gone wrong i guess, i can see why they would want to avoid a revive at 100% endurance with no penalty at all, though having the penalty be a % of max endurance instead of a flat number would have been the smart thing to do here.

xosmi.gif

Could have been interesting too if it was something that would always drop the character, but it wasn't an all or nothing affair (say a fast drain on endurance over a time period - would lead to you making a choice of raising a tank who might be up longer or someone else who may have a spell or talent but might not last long enough to do it or something).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

It's a cool ability, it just needs to not be fixed numbers. I used it to good effect when I took Pallegina. POE battles aren't super long, so if someone dies and then you take the bother to revive them, chances are the battle will be over before the penalty hits. Aloth would get up, blast everyone dead, then drop dead all on his own. 

Jup, wasted a slot on my Pallegina as well with this one. I thought it'll be a useful one when I took it, then I used it couple of times to see everyone die, then by the time everyone's endurance increased to a level that it wouldn't kill target, priest got his aoe resurrection, and I never had an opportunity to even think of using it again.

I can see situational usefulness when you don't have other means of resurrection.

My first complete playthrough was with two priests through most of the game, so I didn't really use Reviving Exhortation other than for testing the time I had Pallegina in my party.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

It might have some situational usage, but the problem is that the description is just plain wrong. It clearly says "Revive with 327 Endurance" and it doesn't do anything of the sort. If they meant for it to work the way it does, it should say "Revive with either 327 Endurance or character's max Endurance, whichever is lower." As it is right now, this talent is basically a trap for people who haven't played the game before.

Obviously it's because if the skill didn't have that downside, then Paladins would be dangerously close to becoming OP.

Honestly if you want a downside-free revival skill? Give it to Ciphers. They're clearly underpowered atm and could use a bit more love from the devs. The last thing Paladins need is more OP talents to choose from.

• Like 3

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Confident it will be fixed sooner or later!

ahahahahahaha

• Like 1

How can anyone in their right mind try to ship a multimillion dollar product without making absolutely sure that they don't upset all their players with a degree in Medieval English Linguistics?

Wow, actually I could say something about the topic, but seeing how much you hate the whole game, I will not care anymore. Paladins suck, Rangers suck, Durance suck, Health system suck, reviving suck... just... wow. Why do you even bother playing? go, return to Skyrim, everything is easy there.

Maybe it's useful to temporarily revive the priest who can then revive some other folks in the few moments he's got left :D.

But yeah, seems like % based would work out better.

But... my priest doesn't even have revive. :lol:

t50aJUd.jpg

It's a cool ability, it just needs to not be fixed numbers. I used it to good effect when I took Pallegina. POE battles aren't super long, so if someone dies and then you take the bother to revive them, chances are the battle will be over before the penalty hits. Aloth would get up, blast everyone dead, then drop dead all on his own. 

our paladins is, invariably, high intelligence-- am getting pretty darn close to 25 seconds before the reviving penalty hits.  that is a Long time in most poe battles. that being said, paladin revive is not something we do as soon as a party member is knocked out as we must needs guestimate the length o' a battle and how our ~25 seconds is gonna figure into the equation.   however, for the high int paladin, the revive ability is powerful.

am admitting that we would be discouraged from take paladin revive if we did not have a starting int of 18-20 on paladins.  even with the significant extended duration from high intelligence, the ability is of situational use, which is a flaw of many paladin abilities... too many.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

might 4, int 16, works

PIllars of eternty (Hard) 1st playtrough: 155h, 38 m (main Ranger with bear(bow), Eder, Durance(off tank), Hirvais(off tank), Kana(ranged), Aloth/GM)
PIllars of eternty (PtoD) 2nd playtrough: 88h 30 m (main Bleak Walker Paladin, Eder, Barbarian, Monk, Rogue (ranged) Cypher(wand)
(not counting reloads and experimenting)
status i love the game, hate the bugs, and wish for better AI and Pathfinding

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/78749-needed-qualyty-of-life-improvements-information-and-transparency/

might 4, int 16, works

there is a tendency to reduce int on paladins as it has such a minimal impact on zealous focus aura area.  however, intelligence significantly extends such stuff as liberating exhortation, hastening exhortation and even lay on hands, which effective increases the amount o' healing that ability does.  intelligence is our primary attribute for paladins thus far.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

but for reviving low might gives les endurance and les endurance penalty

only one of mypartymembers cant take the ht of my -123 endurance, and one is iffy

PIllars of eternty (Hard) 1st playtrough: 155h, 38 m (main Ranger with bear(bow), Eder, Durance(off tank), Hirvais(off tank), Kana(ranged), Aloth/GM)
PIllars of eternty (PtoD) 2nd playtrough: 88h 30 m (main Bleak Walker Paladin, Eder, Barbarian, Monk, Rogue (ranged) Cypher(wand)
(not counting reloads and experimenting)
status i love the game, hate the bugs, and wish for better AI and Pathfinding

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/78749-needed-qualyty-of-life-improvements-information-and-transparency/

but for reviving low might gives les endurance and les endurance penalty

only one of mypartymembers cant take the ht of my -123 endurance, and one is iffy

doesn't matter if combat is over when the endurance penalty hits.

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!