Just curious how it actually works. I mean... if you die your savefile gets deleted - I get that part. 

But can you load before dying? Or is loading the game disabled overall? I'm just wondering if its easy to circumvent the trial of iron mode or if the mode is properly enforced by the game. Because this achievement is pretty pointless if its easy to "cheat through it".

If you look in the save file, Sawyer has some thoughts on this for you:

slmN7cn.png

Of all of the ways to lose my respect, quoting Hagakure unironically has got to be one of the worst.

• Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

If you look in the save file, Sawyer has some thoughts on this for you:

slmN7cn.png

Wow... Sawyer hits it right on the head. 

My concern for cheating was secondary. 

I want the trial of iron attempt for myself - and pretty much with the mentality Sawyer explains.

However the secondary concern is that trial of iron would not give me bragging rights, as in - if its easy to cheat - you cant brag about it. 

I guess if people really want to cheat they will manage. 

I want the trial of iron attempt for myself - and pretty much with the mentality Sawyer explains.

However the secondary concern is that trial of iron would not give me bragging rights, as in - if its easy to cheat - you cant brag about it. 

You can't want to do Trial of Iron for yourself but also so you can brag to others about it.

Also, since there isn't an actual way to know whether a person has cheated, really that means that no one can brag about it.  If your reason for doing Trial of Iron is to brag about it then you might as well save yourself the time, because there really isn't any way to prove your claim.  It is something that you do for yourself, and only you will ever know the truth of your accomplishment.

People do realize save scumming has been going on in roguelikes since well ... Rogue the game that every one of them is named after, right?

You think PoE suddenly came up with some kind of magic to make things different?  Hold on, don't answer that ...

If it was enforced the game would be deleting your save on a CTD or power outage, which would be dumb. 

Savescuming Ironman would be like cheating while playing solitaire. Nothing is stopping you aside from dignity. 

Game should just save when you press Quit , that way you wont loose save if power went down , but if you fought shades and failed you would press quit and when you load the game you would still be there failing vs shades not at the map entrance ! 

In that case I imagine a lot of shady players would feel a convenient power surge coming up when they started failing vs. shades. ;)

There isn't much point combating the exploits. As long as the saves are on our hard drives, we have the ultimate power over them.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Lets make whole game about Solo Ironman+Expert+Hardest Difficulty achievement because playing it proper way ( with a full party ) will definitely be fun then ... wait!

Why i say whole game is made about that achievement ? Lets think .. OH YES Because the game was made so that it would be possible for ANYONE to get it . And if ANY1 even the dumbest kid on the block can do it with 1 character , how can it challenging with 6? no it cant sry. And IMO the only reason CRPGS ever had any succes because you could have had full control on more than 1 character at the same time which is still not possible in any not isometric or non turn based games .

Sawyer(PoE) and Fargo(WL2) are two people who should quit LSD or retire from reviving good old games because they both hyped them so hard and failed so miserably that its not even funny ! 

Edited by Exoduss

You are talking about founding mothers and fathers at Bioware who made lolRPG DA:I or wtfRPG DA2. They make games for anyone to pick up because they are owned by EA and EA does not **** around.

I do not think PoE is easier than the games its taken legacy from. It is also not made for solo nor its easy solo. As far as ironman goes, well, people been doing it long before achievements even existed (Jagged Alliance 2 .. that was hard) but personally I would not even attempt ironman in this game and I've playing almost exclusively solo.

• 5 years later...

Old Thread as I write this...but timeless game! I just discovered this beautiful game recently. I love it. NOW IN REGARDS TO THIS THREAD TOPIC of IRON MODE I hereby give my two cents after many nights grinding it out and fighting foes above my paygrade. I am one of those "if I didn't win it fairly it's not a victory" type of gamer. I understand everyone plays for their own enjoyment reasons and leave it to humanity: if there is a loophole it will be found and exploited. Save scumming, as mentioned in this thread, actually happens ala autosave everytime one walks through a door in POE. Here's 2 hard-ass truths I learned playing Trial-of-Iron. #1 You will lose your 1 precious savegame: Sooner or later your party will all fall, thereby deleting your "one ring to rule them all" savegame. #2 The game decides to do some crazy ass autosaves rarely and oddly: I survived them all only to fall a literal weeks of gametime when my party got whacked very quickly (?)...all done...bye-bye.......*darkness. The reason I chose to try it? Because too many saves makes the battles and encounters cheap...whereas just surviving is challenging. Eventually you will run into way too high level encounters and if your save is squared away and you don't do something dumb like powder keg your party, then you MAY survive. I DID HIT QUIT quite often to reload the one save game cause you can't load save in battle on brink of disaster: must escape game...it's a brutal challenge but the real challenge is is in managing your save cause even stealing an apple accidently can have very grave consequences.