hehe I actually had a problem with this a few times before I figured it out (and felt like an idiot). Spread your peeps out. He's pretty weak but he uses a LOT of AOE spells. So spread your peeps out, concentrate on him. If you have two melee only characters, don't have them all huddled in the same side. You'll get a chance to rest again real soon so hit him with everything you got.

It's good to criticize things you love.

I think literally the only way you can fail this fight is if you get stuck on monsters he summons instead of fighting Maerwald themselves. The summons are completely irrelevant, they disappear once their master dies.

Its actually easier on hard, because there are fewer summons, and they don't automatically block the path to Maerwald.  The big problem is is getting caught on the scenery and not realizing the bedroll and crap on the floor isn't valid to walk over.  If you stay bunched up, it can be easy to be burned down.

Edited by Voss

Maerwald? The old watcher? Is he hard to kill?  Must admit that I haven't played Potd only hard but he didn't put up much of a fight. 

Last time I paralyzed him with my cipher while my fighter and barbarian ran up to him and kept him stunlocked on his butt until he died.  I sent my Paladin Tank to keep his summon busy while the other 5 characters ganked him.

I think literally the only way you can fail this fight is if you get stuck on monsters he summons instead of fighting Maerwald themselves. The summons are completely irrelevant, they disappear once their master dies.

Its actually easier on hard, because there are fewer summons, and they don't automatically block the path to Maerwald.  The big problem is is getting caught on the scenery and not realizing the bedroll and crap on the floor isn't valid to walk over.  If you stay bunched up, it can be easy to be burned down.

There is so much **** like this in PoE and it's incredibly frustrating. You never know where you can walk and where you can't, and I constantly find myself screaming internally "I CAN SEE THAT I FIT THERE! I CAN LITERALLY MEASURE THE SIZE OF YOUR FAT ASS AND I CAN *SEE* THAT YOU FIT THERE STOP RUNNING AROUND THE ****ING ROOM!".

The amount of battles I've lost due to bad pathing and world environment collision probably accounts for over 90% of the fights I've lost, and I'm not even joking.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

No kidding. If there's one thing I dislike about the game its pathing.

I think the Maerwald fight is kind of nice change after those cold Spirits. Unlike the large hall, the small room and rooms around offer different challenge and so does the boss himself.  While Its not Kangaxx  there are possibly indeed 50 ways to win this fight.

Edited by knownastherat

The key to the Maerwald battle (and pretty much every battle involving fire blights) is to concentrate on the non-blight enemies first. If you kill a fire blight, you're up for a big explosion for tons of damage.

Also, if possible, apply some extra elemental DRs via buffs.

There is so much **** like this in PoE and it's incredibly frustrating. You never know where you can walk and where you can't, and I constantly find myself screaming internally "I CAN SEE THAT I FIT THERE! I CAN LITERALLY MEASURE THE SIZE OF YOUR FAT ASS AND I CAN *SEE* THAT YOU FIT THERE STOP RUNNING AROUND THE ****ING ROOM!".

The amount of battles I've lost due to bad pathing and world environment collision probably accounts for over 90% of the fights I've lost, and I'm not even joking.

show - combat grid - valid moving hexes - Homm style would be great

Edited by peddroelm

WPNTVf7.jpg

Just leave one off melee in the room, run out with the rest, let the melee kill one or two summons and die, send the rest of your party in and focus on Maerwald now, he has expended most Aoes on the off guy and is easy to kill.