Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Blarghagh

You know what I think is hilarious? That we're considering removing prostitutes from GTA V when, in reality you can do the exact same thing to a real world stripper and have the same effects (although probably less car chases and more "Who done it?"

If I'm not mistaken, that is the reasoning behind removing it.

... So should we also remove bank robberies, car jackings, massacres, and drunk driving for the same reason?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

You know what I think is hilarious? That we're considering removing prostitutes from GTA V when, in reality you can do the exact same thing to a real world stripper and have the same effects (although probably less car chases and more "Who done it?"

If I'm not mistaken, that is the reasoning behind removing it.

... So should we also remove bank robberies, car jackings, massacres, and drunk driving for the same reason?

I dunno, I think the reasoning is stupid to begin with.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Anyway on to a matter relevant to journalism and ethics: Does anyone feel a slight suspicion with the almost perfect review scores that the Witcher III: Wild Hunt is recieving across the board? This seems very similar to the initial reviews of Skyrim, where major bugs were ignored and any problems were glossed over by clearly hyped players. I'm a fan of the Witcher games, but I cannot believe that the Wild Hunt realistically deserves such high scores, after all both of the previous two games were extremely buggy on release and required much patching, though the Enhanced Editions were a gesture above and beyond in my opinion. I hope the game is as good as these reviews are stating, but I seriously doubt it is so perfect, even now i'm hearing that the game struggles to maintain 30fps on console.

What do you think is contributing to these reviews? Is this merely the fashionable game to like, and the hype has reached critical mass, so that reviewers are ignoring the problems in the enjoyment of playing the game? Or could it be that we are seeing a game that does actually live up to the hype? If I were a betting man however I would lay down odds that we see secondary reviews from game journalists, reviewing the game again with a far more critical eye.

Do you think that this is a side effect of the gaming journalists lying that objective criticism is non existent, and everything is subjective, when journalism should of course be striving for unbiased objectivity at all times? In prioritising their feelings and enjoyment are they losing the ability to judge and criticise, after all we have seen what kind of regressive games they prioritise, that actively try and limit interactivity and jettison features and content, ironically enough under the guise of innovation.

I think we need a separation between editorials and reviews(subjective) and news(objective), with different standards for both. Obviously disclosure should occur, and there should be some standards implemented to maintain professional distance.

It seems strange to me that game journalist cannot implement this, it is so simple to have an acknowldegement before the piece speaking of ones contact with a publisher and developer, along with any ties. It is not an onerous or complicated thing. Then make the review in two sections, one an objective critcism focusing on features, tech and issues etc, and one a subjective review. A simple process, and yet the game journalists refuse to disclose or acknowledge the plethora of objective points that any game has. It's pathetic really, and emphasise how reasonable these demands are, and how unreasonable and arrogant the game journalists are being.

Then again they've had many years of railing and preaching at their audience to become accustomed to it, must be hard to let go of their self righteous posturing.

Edit: More than ever I believe that a regulaory board is needed for game journalism, as well as a period of sharp adjustments and heavy fines for those whom flagrantly flout journalistic ethics such as Kotaku.

Sorry to seem to be disagreeing with you again but this is another point I fail to take seriously as I think you guys have convinced yourselves its real and relevant

There is this view that gaming journalists should be judged the same as real journalists...they are discussing a game, they aren't updating us on the Ukraine conflict. Why do you guys care about the integrity of reviews on RPS for example? Is this a website you use to get informed views from?

It is a legitimate issue. I wouldn't put them on the same level as war correspondents. Rather, they're doing consumer reports. Being a consumer reporter is all about building trust and a reputation for integrity. Entanglements are inevitable, but its not unreasonable to expect disclosure. In the case of the inciting incident, I don't expect the journalist to say "I highly recommend this game but keep in mind I slept with the developer" but he should have listed her as a friend or recused himself from writing that particular review.

That said, the reaction is disproportionate even if this is worth taking seriously and even if I'm only talking about the "legit" wing of GG. On r/KIA they've tried multiple times to pressure advertisers into withdrawing their ad money from Polygon and Kotaku. Argue all you want but this kind of manipulation is something that always bothers me when the activists and the chronically offended do it  and I'm not going to make an exception for GG. They should be focusing their efforts on building the community they want, not tearing down the ones they don't like. They have enough resources, organization and skill in their group by now to launch their own gaming sites reflective of their values. Thats where their effort should be focused.

Journalists should abide by journalistic ethics, when advising people on how to spend their hard earned money in a multi billion dollar industry, or when reporting from a war zone. This is once again childishly simple, and trying to render ethical concerns as unimportant because they are advising on an entertainment product is a moronic argument.

Edit: I've always thought that moral relativity is a particularly pathetic argument, yes I may tell my children to clean their plates because children are starving in Africa, but in a mature discussion it really has no place. To dismiss real and releavant issues of proven corruption, nepotism and unethical behaviour is to dismiss and demean all of journalism and ethical reporting, game journalists are literally tarnishing the entire professions reputation. At a time when that reputation has never been at a lower ebb, well I can't see why anyone would not take such issues seriously.

Though after RPS mocked the victims of the recent bomb threat against a Gamergate party, and insulted the victims of that hoax for no reason whatsoever, well I care even less about the scumbags opinions or their publication.

You wont agree with my view because you can't agree to it because to agree with me would undermine support for the GG movement but I'll make it anyway

You say that gaming websites like Eurogamer and RPS need to maintain journalistic integrity. Yes I agree with this because its the principle that matters and they represent a serious revenue generating industry...even if it is gaming. But the reality is I doubt any of you guys use to use those websites, I visit them but maybe once every second day. Now the fact that you guys never use to use them is also not a issue because an argument could still be maintained that its the principle

But you also cannot ignore that fact  that certain websites on your  consumer boycott list also happen to be websites that raise SJ issues and have been very vocal against GG

So I guess what I am trying to understand is what is the real reason you boycott these websites? Is it because they lack integrity or is it because they  push SJ issues which tend to annoy you ?

Its fine to say you don't visit certain websites because of there view on SJ issues, I dont go to RPGCodex for exactly that reason but lets be honest?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm not with you ? Are you saying a stripper or hooker can get killed in RL?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm saying that people are complaining about how "easy" it is to use a hookers services, and then kill her and get your money back in game... when you can do the exact same thing in Real Life with similar effects.

Journalists should abide by journalistic ethics, when advising people on how to spend their hard earned money in a multi billion dollar industry, or when reporting from a war zone. This is once again childishly simple, and trying to render ethical concerns as unimportant because they are advising on an entertainment product is a moronic argument.

Edit: I've always thought that moral relativity is a particularly pathetic argument, yes I may tell my children to clean their plates because children are starving in Africa, but in a mature discussion it really has no place. To dismiss real and releavant issues of proven corruption, nepotism and unethical behaviour is to dismiss and demean all of journalism and ethical reporting, game journalists are literally tarnishing the entire professions reputation. At a time when that reputation has never been at a lower ebb, well I can't see why anyone would not take such issues seriously.

Though after RPS mocked the victims of the recent bomb threat against a Gamergate party, and insulted the victims of that hoax for no reason whatsoever, well I care even less about the scumbags opinions or their publication.

You wont agree with my view because you can't agree to it because to agree with me would undermine support for the GG movement but I'll make it anyway

You say that gaming websites like Eurogamer and RPS need to maintain journalistic integrity. Yes I agree with this because its the principle that matters and they represent a serious revenue generating industry...even if it is gaming. But the reality is I doubt any of you guys use to use those websites, I visit them but maybe once every second day. Now the fact that you guys never use to use them is also not a issue because an argument could still be maintained that its the principle

But you also cannot ignore that fact  that certain websites on your  consumer boycott list also happen to be websites that raise SJ issues and have been very vocal against GG

So I guess what I am trying to understand is what is the real reason you boycott these websites? Is it because they lack integrity or is it because they  push SJ issues which tend to annoy you ?

Its fine to say you don't visit certain websites because of there view on SJ issues, I dont go to RPGCodex for exactly that reason but lets be honest?

I am being honest when I say that the sites I boycott are unfit for purpose and not worth reading, they have proven themselves to be untrustworthy and unethical, with repeated attacks against innocent cosumers, totally unproven accussations against Gamergate, and endemic corruption, thus as a reasonable, moderate consumer I avoid them. 

Their tendency to preach on social justice matters is hypocritical and a lie, just like yourself Bruce, saying that you support social justice and then boasting of using sex workers, propogating a harmful criminal enterprise and saying that there is nothing shameful in doing son at the expense of the women you have to pay. You and they are free to say that you support social justice issues, but when this is a hypocritical lie and you use sex workers, while they abuse and lie about innocent consumers wanting ethical reform, then I will not accept their falsehoods or accept their preaching at me when they are immoral scum.

If you don't believe this that's fine, because I don't look for approval from an individual whom openly and proudly uses prostitutes, but I would in return ask that you be honest with yourself and why you hate women and see it as alright to force yourself upon them for cash? Is that why you try and interject SJ issues in this thread all the time, and interrupt the usual talk of ethical concerns and good journalistic practices, is it guilt for your actions against the women you have to pay for sex?

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I am being honest when I say that the sites I boycott are unfit for purpose and not worth reading, they have proven themselves to be untrustworthy and unethical, with repeated attacks against innocent cosumers, totally unproven accussations against Gamergate, and endemic corruption, thus as a reasonable, moderate consumer I avoid them. 

Their tendency to preach on social justice matters is hypocritical and a lie, just like yourself Bruce, saying that you support social justice and then boasting of using sex workers, propogating a harmful criminal enterprise and saying that there is nothing shameful in doing son at the expense of the women you have to pay. You and they are free to say that you support social justice issues, but when this is a hypocritical lie and you use sex workers, while they abuse and lie about innocent consumers wanting ethical reform, then I will not accept their falsehoods or accept their preaching at me when they are immoral scum.

If you don't believe this that's fine, because I don't look for approval from an individual whom openly and proudly uses prostitutes, but I would in return ask that you be honest with yourself and why you hate women and see it as alright to force yourself upon them for cash? Is that why you try and interject SJ issues in this thread all the time, and interrupt the usual talk of ethical concerns and good journalistic practices, is it guilt for your actions against the women you have to pay for sex?

Nonek you really seem fixated with my relationships with hookers and strippers. Its actually getting weird, you felt the need to mention it 3 times in this thread just to make a point about the reason you do or don't visit certain websites..its like you are obsessed . And the worst thing about it is that no one will tell you what bad ettiquette it is so you will keep on thinking this is a normal response 

So I will say this one more time and then I won't mention it again

• You don't understand the context or reasons I visit strip clubs ( I went last night actually )
  • Can you stop feeling the need to constantly bring it up and using that as an example I am a hypocrite even when its not relevant..it is making you look very insecure about the points you make. I really am trying to understand your view without all the theatrics but you are making it difficult 

John Milton 

Nonek you really seem fixated with my relationships with hookers and strippers. Its actually getting weird, you felt the need to mention it 3 times in this thread just to make a point about the reason you do or don't visit certain websites..its like you are obsessed . And the worst thing about it is that no one will tell you what bad ettiquette it is so you will keep on thinking this is a normal response 

• You don't understand the context or reasons I visit strip clubs ( I went last night actually )
  • Can you stop feeling the need to constantly bring it up and using that as an example I am a hypocrite even when its not relevant..it is making you look very insecure about the points you make. I really am trying to understand your view without all the theatrics but you are making it difficult 

Ah so no answer again, even when I honestly and explicitly answered your question, I expected as much. As for questions of etiquette, you infer that we are lying in our honest and reaonable goals of asking for ethical reform, and that we are instead only acting against social justice. Hardly a polite or normal thing to do, and it was you whom raised the issue of your use of sex workers.

I will answer your two statements with three of my own:

• I have no interest in your need to visit strip clubs to interact with women, that is your own decision and none of my business.
  • Your use of prostitutes is also your own business, and the authorities if they discover it of course, as well the women you are having to force yourself upon. However while abusing sex workers like this I will not accept that you are interested in SJ issues, as that is a hypocritical lie.
  • As for understanding my points i'm afraid that if you cannot understand the intentionally plain English that I use then there is no hope that I can get through to you, perhaps some further education as i've suggested before is in order or a doctors appointment.
Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Ah so no answer again, even when I honestly and explicitly answered your question, I expected as much. As for questions of etiquette, you infer that we are lying in our honest and reaonable goals of asking for ethical reform, and that we are instead only acting against social justice. Hardly a polite or normal thing to do, and it was you whom raised the issue of your use of sex workers.

• I have no interest in your need to visit strip clubs to interact with women, that is your own decision and none of my business.
  • Your use of prostitutes is also your own business, and the authorities if they discover it of course, as well the women you are having to force yourself upon. However while abusing sex workers like this I will not accept that you are interested in SJ issues, as that is a hypocritical lie.
  • As for understanding my points i'm afraid that if you cannot understand the intentionally plain English that I use then there is no hope that I can get through to you, perhaps some further education as i've suggested before is in order or a doctors appointment.

You are very defensive so you and others, like Volo, tend to read a negative undertone into simple questions. I didn't ever say you were lying. I can only assume you are  so defensive because of the perceived criticism you feel you are under for supporting GG so a simple question you feel is an interrogation

I have to take some blame for that because of the level of some of our past debates 

And there is no need for me to answer the question because its so absurd..how can you ask me " why do I hate women " ?

John Milton 

I'm saying that people are complaining about how "easy" it is to use a hookers services, and then kill her and get your money back in game... when you can do the exact same thing in Real Life with similar effects.

You know what would be interest but outside the scope of GTA? Making it so even if people don't catch you killing the hooker, the police could figure out you're responsible through evidence if you're sloppy and don't hide the body and whatnot. Then you would have at least 1 star forever. That would be neat. Too bad that's too much to ask for.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

You know what would be interest but outside the scope of GTA? Making it so even if people don't catch you killing the hooker, the police could figure out you're responsible through evidence if you're sloppy and don't hide the body and whatnot. Then you would have at least 1 star forever. That would be neat. Too bad that's too much to ask for.

Thats a good idea, I don't get why people would kill the hooker after services rendered. Its not worth the money ?

John Milton 

Thats a good idea, I don't get why people would kill the hooker after services rendered. Its not worth the money ?

Because the amount of money you get back is tiny, and the possible chase ensuing could be significantly more expensive.

And the thing about that system in GTA is that 1 star means you'd have cop cars always flying from out of nowhere to try and crash you.

... What kind of thread have I walked in to?

• Like 1

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Probably because it became a 'thing' to do in the game, my friends who don't even play GTA always mention that when I speak of playing it. Also because you can - people are going to kill something if they are able to in games, after all :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

You are very defensive so you and others, like Volo, tend to read a negative undertone into simple questions. I didn't ever say you were lying. I can only assume you are  so defensive because of the perceived criticism you feel you are under for supporting GG so a simple question you feel is an interrogation

I have to take some blame for that because of the level of some of our past debates 

And there is no need for me to answer the question because its so absurd..how can you ask me " why do I hate women " ?

No when you make a clear inference of deception I call you out on it, that is not being defensive but truthful.

I proudly and honestly admit to being a part of Gamergate, a consumer revolt is a fine and ethical thing, which there should be more of.

No I expected no answer, that might require some self examination and hard answers which a hypocrite and a liar isn't capable of.

• Like 2

Tea for the teapot!

No when you make a clear inference of deception I call you out on it, that is not being defensive but truthful.

I proudly and honestly admit to being a part of Gamergate, a consumer revolt is a fine and ethical thing, which there should be more of.

No I expected no answer, that might require some self examination and hard answers which a hypocrite and a liar isn't capable of.

No once again you are basing your argument on a false premise, I was asking a question not being deceptive. Epic fail on that part Nonek

Yes I did acknowledge the boycotting of websites is a consumer revolt

And then once again you can't resist the personal insults...another fine example of mature debating etiquette 

John Milton 

Probably because it became a 'thing' to do in the game, my friends who don't even play GTA always mention that when I speak of playing it. Also because you can - people are going to kill something if they are able to in games, after all :p

I don't kill people randomly. I kill people who really annoy me but generally I stay away from killing civilians as it draws the police 

John Milton 

There was no false premise, you clearly inferred deception anyone with moderate skills in English can see that. Why lie again?

I made no insults, merely factual statements as to why you won't answer my question when I have answered yours.

Tea for the teapot!

There was no false premise, you clearly inferred deception anyone with moderate skills in English can see that. Why lie again?

I made no insults, merely factual statements as to why you won't answer my question when I have answered yours.

Just to be clear what exactly did I try to deceive you on?

John Milton 

You inferred that we were not honest in our goals of ethical reforms and merely opposing those whom lie and say they support social justice like you, it is written above in plain English, and the inference is clear.

Tea for the teapot!

Probably because it became a 'thing' to do in the game, my friends who don't even play GTA always mention that when I speak of playing it. Also because you can - people are going to kill something if they are able to in games, after all tongue.png

I don't kill people randomly. I kill people who really annoy me but generally I stay away from killing civilians as it draws the police

Yes, but that's you - some people just rack up bodycounts for fun now and then in the game.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

lol

tumblr_inline_nobo6eRw8k1t1abbv_540.png

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

lol

tumblr_inline_nobo6eRw8k1t1abbv_540.png

Most hilariously useless part of MGS4? In codec calls with the female characters you could shake the controller and the characters breasts would jiggle... I **** you not.

Where's the "Women are works of art?" piece on THAT game? I mean it's a game where women slink towards you in skin tight body suits.

https://youtu.be/cOQnjaNorGE?t=7m57s

Side note, the mocap for these scenes were done nude from what I've heard... also the entire group of women that you fight in that game are modeled after real world models (This one is Lyndell Jarvis).

I bet they sell Quiet body pillows in Japan.

Dancing_e61e0b_488236.gif

The gif has nothing to do with body pillows, I just wanted to post it.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks