Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Blarghagh

Not really sure what the warning was about after watching that, I guess EC's audience is soft ?

OT perhaps, but Bruce was on about Hatred before. The comment about denying it a megaphone was pretty funny as well, given this game's coverage by people upset by the murdering or whatever. Does seem that a ban would fix his problem with the game, he does go on about it being sadistic and of no value and that people shouldn't buy or sell it, after all.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So, in order to point out corruption and con artistry I have to be part of whatever is being criticized? Where does that come in? As for the ton more content, none of the content for FF is relevant to her TvW series. And I notice that you still haven't been able to point out videos 1-5. That was video one.

You are nitpicking.  She has produced a ton of content and her backers are not complaining.  

I've seen a number of kickstarters raise more money and produce less.  I'm still waiting on my games from the Space Quest and Quest for Glory people.  Why aren't you railing about Lori and Corey Cole being con artists?  They just started a second kickstarter without even finishing the first game, you'd have a much better argument there.

And holy moly, that 75 minutes of video was only covering one topic?  Yikes.  I am glad I don't watch this rubbish.  

Possibly con artists. Much more likely idiots who got in WAY over their heads. There is a galaxy of difference in complexity between making a game and making a green-screen youtube video. Whereas Sarkeesian  knew exactly what went on monetary wise when making youtube videos as that was her medium before the kickstarter and there is no appreciable cost difference between her FF videos and TvW videos.

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

Your definition of a con artist in regards to Kickstarter would seem to label most people as such.  People change size and scope, miss release dates, and even close up shop regularly.  I only see it as a con if they take the funds and run.  There is no evidence of that with Sarkeesian, quite the opposite really, she has clearly used the investment to devote herself fully to the concepts of the kickstarter.  The product does not look the way you want it too, but that doesn't really matter, since you didn't invest in it.  If her investors were unhappy, then you'd have an actual case.  As is, you have no ground to stand on and are just throwing out an unreasonable and unwarranted accusation.   :shrugz:

I was watching Going Clear last night, and there is a similar argument made about L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology.  He was a delusional madman, sure, but if he was running a con, why would he devote his entire life to it?  Why would he sit in a room with an e-meter for thousands of hours trying to expel thetans?  It doesn't add up.   

Umm... The Scientology members get ripped off rather severerly so the chuch can expand it's real estate portpholio. Is that unlike, say, the vatican ?. No. 

It's rather extremely controlling and demanding uniformity and conformity of its members though. Ex members who voice opposition get persecuted and character assassinated. 

It feeds off weak individuals who require that kind of constant structure and sense of belonging. It very much is exploitative.

Do the Scientology higher ups know this ?. Of course they do, they're not idiots. 

• Like 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I'm asking for the entire game world to treat the player like a violent sociopath if said player behaves like a violent sociopath. (And by "treating the player like a violent sociopath" I mean "this actually having tangible effects instead of being a cosmetical thing".)

I don't think it's an entirely unreasonable expectation.

1) It is unreasonable for a game the size and scope of GTA.

2) Why? Judge your own actions. Why do you need the author to tell you right from wrong? Why do you need the virtual world to be policed?

I am loving GTAV but they should just remove hookers completely from the game, it will  have a negligible impact on the overall game play but reduce the controversy 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Caving in and removing hookers will just become the new controversy.

How about they simply put male hookers (in whatever form) into the game.

Yes that would also work..but I am not suggesting we remove anything else...just the hookers 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

(minimum-effort recitation of trite feminist dogma with some appropriately cherrypicked/faked gaming examples; completely unsuitable for gaining scientific insight but very suitable for reinforcing feminist identity-building confirmation biases).

This is the stupidest thing I've heard in a long time.

Except that it's true. 

The stupidity stems more from a complete lack of self-awareness ("very suitable for reinforcing feminist identity-building confirmation biases" in a topic that literally only exists to reinforce the participants' anti-feminist confirmation bias caused me to laugh out loud in disbelief) than lack of truthfulness.

It sounds like, well, someone trying to imitate how he imagines people much smarter than him talk like, and failing miserably.

Or maybe I just hit a nerve? :rolleyes:

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

I'm asking for the entire game world to treat the player like a violent sociopath if said player behaves like a violent sociopath. (And by "treating the player like a violent sociopath" I mean "this actually having tangible effects instead of being a cosmetical thing".)

2) Why? Judge your own actions. Why do you need the author to tell you right from wrong? Why do you need the virtual world to be policed?

I am loving GTAV but they should just remove hookers completely from the game, it will  have a negligible impact on the overall game play but reduce the controversy 

Yes, because this very corner of the internet didn't just explode for a few days simply because of the removal of a poem from a niche game.

Yes, because this very corner of the internet didn't just explode for a few days simply because of the removal of a poem from a niche game.

Yeah there would be a level of outrage but it would be misplaced like the limerick event 

Besides companies are allowed to make changes to gaming formulas if they feel it is relevant  

John Milton 

Your definition of a con artist in regards to Kickstarter would seem to label most people as such.  People change size and scope, miss release dates, and even close up shop regularly.  I only see it as a con if they take the funds and run.  There is no evidence of that with Sarkeesian, quite the opposite really, she has clearly used the investment to devote herself fully to the concepts of the kickstarter.  The product does not look the way you want it too, but that doesn't really matter, since you didn't invest in it.  If her investors were unhappy, then you'd have an actual case.  As is, you have no ground to stand on and are just throwing out an unreasonable and unwarranted accusation.   :shrugz:

I was watching Going Clear last night, and there is a similar argument made about L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology.  He was a delusional madman, sure, but if he was running a con, why would he devote his entire life to it?  Why would he sit in a room with an e-meter for thousands of hours trying to expel thetans?  It doesn't add up.   

Because he was a Sci-Fi author and he WON THE BET dammit! Also, perhaps a bit of a messiah complex at that point. Play a role long enough and you become it.

As for considering most KSs cons, unless most KSs are mild venue changes with little to no change in scope, how exactly does Sarkeesian's situation apply to them. I said POSSIBLY a con. I then said it was much more likely they got in over their heads.

Also, see my Producers reference above. The lack of contention among the investors does not in any way/shape/or form negate the con.

Edited by ravenshrike

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

What the hell are you people talking about?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

What the hell are you people talking about?

Whether Sarkeesian is a con artist or not.  Try to keep up KP.  :p

What does that have to do with hookers in GTA?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

"Yes that would also work..but I am not suggesting we remove anything else...just the hookers"

So remove the hookers but keep the violence? L0L Sex is bad. of coruse, that comes from a guy who brags about    spending money on strippers in real life... but wants them banned from a game?

WHAT THE ILLOGIC.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

How about following your own earlier advice and not buy the game in the first place if you don't like the game design decisions?   

"Yes that would also work..but I am not suggesting we remove anything else...just the hookers"

So remove the hookers but keep the violence? L0L Sex is bad. of coruse, that comes from a guy who brags about    spending money on strippers in real life... but wants them banned from a game?

WHAT THE ILLOGIC.

Who said I want to remove hookers from  GTAV because I dont like what they do in RL? As I have said several times I have no issue with sex workers or strippers

And no sex is not bad but thats not the point  

John Milton 

How about following your own earlier advice and not buy the game in the first place if you don't like the game design decisions?   

Thats a strange point from someone of your reasonable nature and intelligence 

My issue with having hookers in GTAV  is not serious enough that I would not buy the game...thats just silly

Hookers must represent about 1-3 % of the overall game 

John Milton 

My issue with having hookers in GTAV  is not serious enough that I would not buy the game...thats just silly

It was you who first suggested that course Bruce, not me.  

Edited by kgambit

Just remind me of the context?

John Milton 

here's your quote from this thread:  Mature discussion on LGBT/Feminists who want to censor games.

Sure I agree, which is why companies like Bioware are clear on what there games contain and if you don't like that or feel uncomfortable with there design decisions then you don't have to play there games

Since I know you don't advocate piracy, I simply took the logical leap that playing and buying were synonomous

Edited by kgambit

here's your quote from this thread:  Mature discussion on LGBT/Feminists who want to censor games.

Sure I agree, which is why companies like Bioware are clear on what there games contain and if you don't like that or feel uncomfortable with there design decisions then you don't have to play there games

Since I know you don't advocate piracy, I simply took the logical leap that paying and buying were synonomous

Yes ...but I see now contradiction in what I said ?

My point is absolutely valid, if a person doesn't like game design decisions then don't buy the game but for me having hookers in GTAV  is not such an egregious decision that I feel I need to now not buy the game. If I felt strongly enough about a design feature then I would boycott a game, like Hatred  

John Milton 

Since I know you don't advocate piracy, I simply took the logical leap that paying and buying were synonomous

Yes ...but I see now contradiction in what I said ?

My point is absolutely valid, if a person doesn't like game design decisions then don't buy the game but for me having hookers in GTAV  is not such an egregious decision that I feel I need to now not buy the game. If I felt strongly enough about a design feature then I would boycott a game, like Hatred  

Fair enough. although it seemed it egregious enough for you to raise the issue in the first place.   No matter. 

Edited by kgambit

Why do hookers need to be removed from GTA?