Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Blarghagh

They just needed to dress it up. Maybe have you as some Khornate cultist. Frankly, GW will let anyone make a 40K game it seems. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Anita is correctly labeled a con artist because she has yet to finish even stage one of the youtube videos she was paid six figures to create. She scammed money out of people but because her politics are correct(and here I'm reminded of the old joke about many small blood sucking insects) she gets a complete pass.

That is false, there are a bunch of her videos up on youtube.  She is also clearly committed to the premise of her campaign, rather than sitting on a beach sipping margaritas (which is what I would do if I was a con man.)

Just like the game Hatred, she has a freedom of expression and if she can get people to pay her for that, then bully for her.   

• Like 3

I think Anita's work output is ridiculously inadequate. But then I'm not the one paying her.

And the ones who do pay her are largely satisfied with it, so where exactly is the problem?

• Like 2

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I think Anita's work output is ridiculously inadequate. But then I'm not the one paying her.

And the ones who do pay her are largely satisfied with it, so where exactly is the problem?

She does make certain cogent points, that cannot be denied 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Where did I say the word "problem"? It's an opinion on her work output.

They are satisfied but I suspect that has nothing to do with the  actual work but her status as the focal point for the entire mess.

IIRC, EA had Anita Sarkeesian as a creative consultant on how to remodel Faith in Mirror's Edge 2.

Think that was just some BS rumour, was rather amusing to think of that jump being made though. I think they have competent people at EA.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I find it more worrisome that people believe in Anita and that the media treats her like a serious critic.

Bush at least had a charming personality. 

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Where did I say the word "problem"? It's an opinion on her work output.

They are satisfied but I suspect that has nothing to do with the  actual work but her status as the focal point for the entire mess.

Well the cries of "con artist" (exclusively from her detractors, mind) do point at the direction of the perceived existence of a problem.

Their satisfaction has more to do with the fact that she voices issues many people have always had with gaming and nobody's ever touched the subject before her. So basically, lack of competition.

I find it more worrisome that people believe in Anita and that the media treats her like a serious critic.

Which they shouldn't, according to you, because...?

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I find worrisome that there exists so many idiots in this society. 

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

That doesn't really answer the question...or am I missing some nuances here?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

That doesn't really answer the question...or am I missing some nuances here?

Normal people profess the esoteric knowledge that gives them the insight to see that what Anita says is idiotic.  

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Sarkeesian being some sort of saint to fools on Reddit and Twitter should really be a late hint of that, man.

You're dodging the question.

Unlike what our experience in first grade has taught us, calling people who don't agree with us names does not count as a coherent argument about why they're wrong.

Unlike what our experience in first grade has taught us, calling people who don't agree with us names does not count as a coherent argument about why they're wrong.

Nice try, because i never implied that they shouldn't say anything. People can say whatever they want, but if it is idiotic, it simply just is, as i pointed out.

I give you a B+.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Sarkeesian being some sort of saint to fools on Reddit and Twitter should really be a late hint of that, man.

I don't read Reddit. Horrible interface.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Nice try, because i never implied that they shouldn't say anything. People can say whatever they want, but if it is idiotic, it simply just is, as i pointed out.

I give you a B+.

Yes but why are they idiotic...its not enough to say " they are idiots " ...why are they idiots ?

John Milton 

And I never implied you implied they shouldn't say anything. I was pointing out that calling people names without expounding on the reasons why you're doing so is generally not seen as the road to constructive debate.

Do we need to talk about Anita's failings again? Like where she talked about how Hitman (one of them) rewarded the player for assaulting and abusing women in a strip joint's back area... (When the actual mission/game penalizes you for hurting civilians and you can easily slip past them). Or she breaks down all relationships to subject/object bull****, but only applies this to male/female relationships.

Also she uses StarFox Adventures to say "SEE!? They don't want strong female characters" while talking about it's development (Stating that the game starred only a female fox who was pushed aside to set Fox McCloud as the lead... while using footage from a trailer that included the old male protagonist that was reworked into Fox McCloud).

Anita attempts to say "I'm an academic" but none of her work is done remotely close to an academic format (with citations of her sources/examples so people can check her work) and most of her arguments are built around people not knowing the medium so they just accept her word for it.

Also

Found dis

http://metaleater.com/video-games/feature/why-feminist-frequency-almost-made-me-quit-writing-about-video-games-part-1

Part 1 of 5 of an essay on why Feminist Frequency almost made another feminist quit writing about games.

On the larger topic of Feminism, she makes the point that Anita is probably creating more enemies for the movement than converts. 

• Like 2

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

^ you can also read her article if you don't want to listen to a 30 min video.

http://metaleater.com/video-games/feature/why-feminist-frequency-almost-made-me-quit-writing-about-video-games-part-1

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

... it's right below the youtube link.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

True, she really does render a service which her fans are knowingly willing to pay for.

From an observer standpoint it's a little weird that they claim that this service/product is something else (substantive research and meaningful insight into current gender issues in games) than what it really is (minimum-effort recitation of trite feminist dogma with some appropriately cherrypicked/faked gaming examples; completely unsuitable for gaining scientific insight but very suitable for reinforcing feminist identity-building confirmation biases).

As long as this self-deception is accepted and consensual between seller and buyers though, it's not a scam.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

... it's right below the youtube link.

Yeah, total fail on my part.

I'd blame the formating on the page that wedged the video and the link together on my window, but...mea culpa.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man