Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Blarghagh

I don't get it.

Sort of a pot and kettle thing with Moosa complaining about shaming people online for opinions.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

CEYxU3QUMAA14KC.jpgHahaha.

I don't get it.

CEYSOmmVIAEEO6C.png

Can you feel how they are grasping at straws? It feels good, man.

Looking at what you've publicly done at your job isn't spying.

I don't get it.

Sort of a pot and kettle thing with Moosa complaining about shaming people online for opinions.

I have no idea who that is. I assume they're standard SJW? If so, it is quite funny.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Includes some slight NSFW-material

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Jaa mehr maskulinsten, bitte schön.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Another ****lord weighing in:

BJ13dBE.png

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Insufficient cleavage to continue.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Insufficient cleavage to continue.

She's done other videos where that isn't an issue.

I got about 6 minutes in.  I think I deserve recognition for that.  Maybe a cookie.

Well what Chris says up to 7 minutes is largely accurate, that the initial reasons for the creation of GG  was based on a false accusation of collusion between  developers and gaming journalists. He correctly dismisses  the whole Quinn saga about her sleeping with 5 guys and Grayson only punting her game because she was having sex with him. These are all baseless accusations and were a reason for the foundation of GG so that should tell you something about the merits of the movement?

This whole thread really highlights this, the general debate here has nothing to do with ethics in the gaming industry 

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

As much as you or them keep trying to dismiss the ethics issue. Most of these sites improved their disclosure policies because of Zoe Quinn which disproves that point. Because despite trying to dismiss it they knew a conflict of interest when they saw it.

The response to any part of it from journos has everything to do with ethics. This would never have been a thing if not for that. Gamergate was born from the identity politics articles. Zoe would have been forgotten if they didn't go on the attack. This conversation is about what they made it about.

As much as you or them keep trying to dismiss the ethics issue. Most of these sites improved their disclosure policies because of Zoe Quinn which disproves that point. Because despite trying to dismiss it they knew a conflict of interest when they saw it.

The response to any part of it from journos has everything to do with ethics. This would never have been a thing if not for that. Gamergate was born from the identity politics articles. Zoe would have been forgotten if they didn't go on the attack. This conversation is about what they made it about.

There is nothing wrong with a discussion about ethics in the gaming industry but very seldom do we actually see that type of discussion when is comes to issues raised by GG or people that support the movement 

As I keep saying its more about undermining or dismissing SJ initiatives or people that support SJ 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

There is nothing wrong with a discussion about ethics in the gaming industry but very seldom do we actually see that type of discussion when is comes to issues raised by GG or people that support the movement 

As I keep saying its more about undermining or dismissing SJ initiatives or people that support SJ 

Because it's clear and in the open and for the first time, easily accessable: http://deepfreeze.it/

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Because it's clear and in the open and for the first time, easily accessable: http://deepfreeze.it/

Wow, okay. There seems to be a lot of anger on that website, I'll go through some of the links and articles though

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Sleeping with a developer and making undisclosed cash payments to them is a clear conflict of interest for any game journalist, this is not to be argued by anybody with a grasp of ethics, and lying that it is not just makes the liar look like an indoctrinated loon. Of course you could then shift the goalposts when faced by this irrefutable truth, and say that a multi billion dollar industry does not warrant a media that is fit for purpose and ethical, but that is the statement of a halfwit. It's almost like the pathetic attempts to deny the gamers are dead articles were not a hateful attack on those whom play games recreationally, one really needs a vivid imagination to make this statement after reading their hateful and regressive content.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Sleeping with a developer and making undisclosed cash payments to them is a clear conflict of interest for any game journalist, this is not to be argued by anybody with a grasp of ethics, and lying that it is not just makes the liar look like an indoctrinated loon. Of course you could then shift the goalposts when faced by this irrefutable truth, and say that a multi billion dollar industry does not warrant a media that is fit for purpose and ethical, but that is the statement of a halfwit. It's almost like the pathetic attempts to deny the gamers are dead articles were not a hateful attack on those whom play games recreationally, one really needs a vivid imagination to make this statement after reading their hateful and regressive content.

What cash payments were made to Quinn?

Provide links or it didn't happen, its very unethical to make baseless and defamatory accusations Nonek...I'm surprised I have to tell you this?

John Milton 

Ooh scolded for telling the truth by Bruce, such a moral authority.

Do your own investigation hypocrite this is common knowledge, and i'll not waste my time on satisfying an abuser of womens tiny mind.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Provide links or it didn't happen, its very unethical to make baseless and defamatory accusations Nonek...I'm surprised I have to tell you this?

http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2015/04/kotaku-writer-paid-800-to-dev-he-was-sleeping-with-without-disclosure/

Grayson confirmed that the payment took place

Edited by kgambit
  • Like 1

http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2015/04/kotaku-writer-paid-800-to-dev-he-was-sleeping-with-without-disclosure/

Was this not a personal matter? Is this related in anyway to the game Depression Quest that Quinn created? In the article it says 

"Grayson did confirm the payment, but also noted that it had nothing to do with Kotaku and was a separate matter relating to the brief time when he and Quinn were together " 

How is paying someone money that you dated proof of unethical behavior? This is surly a private that has been explained and is  not related to Grayson's time as a gaming journalist so I don't see how this relevant ?

John Milton 

Do your own investigation hypocrite this is common knowledge, and i'll not waste my time on satisfying an abuser of womens tiny mind.

Yeah I would expect this from you, much easier just to say things and not have to back them up 

John Milton 

Was this not a personal matter? Is this related in anyway to the game Depression Quest that Quinn created? In the article it says 

"Grayson did confirm the payment, but also noted that it had nothing to do with Kotaku and was a separate matter relating to the brief time when he and Quinn were together " 

How is paying someone money that you dated proof of unethical behavior? This is surly a private that has been explained and is  not related to Grayson's time as a gaming journalist so I don't see how this relevant ?

You asked for proof the payments were made.  I provided that.   How you choose to interpret that information and the circumstances around it is entirely up to you.   

Edited by kgambit

Yeah I would expect this from you, much easier just to say things and not have to back them up 

Like your unproven assertion that Mr Grayson is innocent of any unethical behaviour? Please Bruce you can believe your own lies, as i'm sure they let you sleep at night, but don't expect any others to do so.

A game journalist has a code of ethics to follow, he should not have a personal relationship of any kind with a game developer, never mind sleeping with one or paying for what follows. This is basic ethics, that can be confirmed by any ethics professor or anybody possessing a journalism degree. This should be simple to comprehend for a child or even you.

Edit: I'm not surprised that I have to tell you this.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Tea for the teapot!

You asked for proof the payments were made.  I provided that.   How you choose to interpret that information and the circumstances around it is entirely up to you.   

Yes so Grayson and Quinn dated for a short time. For me some payment made from Grayson to Quinn is not irrefutable proof of unethical conduct 

John Milton