Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Blarghagh

Oh! I didn't see the real article. Thanks. :)

Oh I also didn't get it ..now I understand the ridicule I received  :biggrin:

That is quite funny 

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

IGDA DC people react to the bomb threat. Not.

Those comments really show that it is actually possible to stuck your head so far up in your own **** that the only thing you see is your own ****.

They are behaving worse than the avarage group of 14-year old girls.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Those comments really show that it is actually possible to stuck your head so far up in your own **** that the only thing you see is your own ****.

These aren't just some random people. Chris Totten for example is co-chair of IGDA DC, has written for Gamasutra, frequent speaker at GDC and DIGRA.

• Like 1

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

These aren't just some random people. Chris Totten for example is co-chair of IGDA DC, has written for Gamasutra, frequent speaker at GDC and DIGRA.

Well, well, well. Look who just responded to the same thread:

CELHOJ8WEAAU4gI.png

• Like 5

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Related rumor: FullMcIntosh "harassed" Joss Whedon on Twitter about how "problematic" Age of Ultron was, all ending with Joss deleting his account.

https://twitter.com/josswhedon

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I'm curious about this "Woman in a refrigerator" trope, and I couldn't think of a better place to ask a few questions:

Why is it just not called revenge as it used to be?

Is affection for a loved one now a negative thing?

Is apathy desirable?

Is it only women whom can be in this metaphorical refrigerator, if it is a man, a ghost or anything else is that alright?

Does this strike anyone as a slightly desperate try to justify a trope?

Why is this demeaning, are the victims supposed to be invulnerable and uncared for for some reason?

It was named by Gail Simone in reference to Kyle Raynor's(Green Lantern) girlfriend being killed and left in the refridgerator for him to find. She felt female supporting characters were misproportionately killed off violently to give male characters motivation to fight the villain as opposed to male characters. This was a good point as Uncle Ben and Jason Todd are the only examples of this I can think of. It has been adopted by SJWs however to mean any time a female character is killed.

To be honest, it was a trend at the time.  There were a lot of characters killed in gruesome ways in the 90s as part of the grim and gritty trend.  That the majority of them were women was notable, but there were instances of men being killed as well (the "Eclipso" bloodbath, for example, or the destruction of the JSA that allowed DC to bring forth a new round of mantle-wearers).

But it was something that had always been in comics:

Mom and Dad - Batman

Katana's Husband - Katana

Dan "Blue Beetle" Garrett - Ted "Blue Beetle" Kord1

Roy Lincoln's Dad - Roy "The Human Bomb" Lincoln

Ted "Wildcat" Grant - Yolanda "Wildcat" Montez 2

Vernon Van Dyne - Janet "Wasp" Van Dyne

Could probably think of more if I cared to.

It goes back to the roots of the superhero comic (Doc Savage's first adventure is finding out why his father died; Richard Benson, the Avenger's first adventure is about avenging the death of his wife and daughter to criminals, etc.) and possibly the way they're so often inspired by mythology (where a lot of people died propelling stories)

1DC origin only

2Technically Grant didn't die but had his back broken, so you could argue it not being quite the same thing

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Related rumor: FullMcIntosh "harassed" Joss Whedon on Twitter about how "problematic" Age of Ultron was, all ending with Joss deleting his account.

Any source for that?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Any source for that?

Seems like its currently linked to a tweet that wasn't received well criticising Jurassic World.

http://www.themarysue.com/joss-whedon-deleted-twitter-account/

Jurassic World bit: http://www.themarysue.com/feminism-aint-easy-joss-whedon/

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Any source for that?

It's a rumor so far, so therefore no sources.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

See. I can believe it to be true. Why? This is typical of SJWs. Whedon is on their side. He bashes GG and they proclaim him 'hero of the SJW' but  you make one wrong move they will completely turn on you because there is no shades of grey. You have to bow down to them on all issues. It doesn't surprise me because no matter how much he protetsts, Whedon's work has never been SJWish - not even Buffy despite it being a female led show. Sure, there are 'SJW elemnts' but it also has anti SJW elements so they hate that. :)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Any source for that?

It's a rumor so far, so therefore no sources.

Ah, well it could be many things. Before I would have said tribalism would've kept them from calling out Whedon, but I think we're at the point where they will cannibalize each other.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I fully expect, within about 2 months, Joss to come out like this:

//edit: wrong link

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I don't know if this is why he removed his Twitter account, but I am finding a load of evidence of criticism and abuse by the feminist community. Apparently they are pissed about a sneaky rape joke and Black Widow's character development.

Yeah because supposedly she had the hots for the big ugly green dude and she need to be rescued.... THE HORROR!

\

This isn't the first time SJWs have attacked Whedon despite him being all up their butts. :D

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Haha, that's maybe 12% of the reason. Obsidian should give him a sympathy call, because I'm seeing the word transmisogynistic thrown around more times than I can count. Also referencing prima nocta as a joke counts as "legitimizing modern day rape culture".

What the hell happened to Miles Cheong....?

CEMHl_R4_WAAABCbc_png_large.png

He's switching sides again. It's all a progression.

1: He starts as a nazi.

2: He takes a step in the right direction and becomes a SJW. <--- Annoying as they are; I'd take a SJW over a nazi.

3: He's taking another step in the right direction and is going to be critical of both GG and SJW's.

4: Eventually he'll take another step and say he's more sympathetic to GG than SJW's.

The trend will keep going until he's a straight up right wing libertarian.

• Like 3

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

They're rallying. They're rallying to their king!

tumblr_nhw7flrSbl1ryhpj2o1_500.gif

So it's a civil war?