Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Blarghagh

"Nazi's and SJW's also like to label people, and then repeat the same tired mantra's over and over again. "

And?

Volo you know what always amuses me about this thread, the constant contradictions I see you guys making. In the beginning you at least use to try to defend it or  explain it ...now its just blatant and seems to lack any compunction 

Two of my favorite ones are

• " We at GG  are opposed to censorship and believe in free speech....but we want companies to pull advertising from the likes of Kotaku and Gamasutra in the hope these websites close down because we don't like what they say about GG"
  • "We don't like generalizations about GG, generalizations are wrong. Yet all  SJW are Nazis and because there was a  bomb hoax at the GG  conference this  just confirms that anti-GG is like ISIS ( so now because of a bomb hoax the whole  of anti-GG which consists of tens of thousands of people  is like a brutal and outdated extremist group that chops off peoples heads and crucifies its opponents.....hyperbole anyone ? )

But you guys are very entertaining...so keep up the laughs  :lol:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

http://kotaku.com/gamergate-meetup-evacuated-after-apparent-threat-1701761645

Relevant due to Kotaku, Bias, and GamersGate.

Specifically the fact that according to them, GamersGate is FIRST about harassing feminists and also might be about ethics in journalism.

https://archive.is/ijDnG

We tend to archive links around here, both to save and to avoid giving clicks.

At any rate, I'm not going to hold this blogger's opinion in high regard.

7IsGiOQ.jpg

At least he tried and did far better than John Walker.

Edited by kirottu
  • Like 3

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

"Nazi's and SJW's also like to label people, and then repeat the same tired mantra's over and over again. "

And?

Volo you know what always amuses me about this thread, the constant contradictions I see you guys making. In the beginning you at least use to try to defend it or  explain it ...now its just blatant and seems to lack any compunction 

• " We at GG  are opposed to censorship and believe in free speech....but we want companies to pull advertising from the likes of Kotaku and Gamasutra in the hope these websites close down because we don't like what they say about GG"
  • "We don't like generalizations about GG, generalizations are wrong. Yet all  SJW are Nazis and because there was a  bomb hoax at the GG  conference this  just confirms that anti-GG is like ISIS ( so now because of a bomb hoax the whole  of anti-GG which consists of tens of thousands of people  is like a brutal and outdated extremist group that chops off peoples heads and crucifies its opponents.....hyperbole anyone ? )

Just gonna say to the first point, Technically, that's not censorship. Censorship is them asking for the government or somebody else coming in to shut them down for saying what they're saying. Pulling Ads is saying "Oh, you can say it, you just might not get money for saying it!"

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

And?

Just gonna say to the first point, Technically, that's not censorship. Censorship is them asking for the government or somebody else coming in to shut them down for saying what they're saying. Pulling Ads is saying "Oh, you can say it, you just might not get money for saying it!"

Sure you right about definition  of what censorship means 

But free speech? These websites are openly opposed to GG and people on this  thread want these websites to go out of  business...how do you reconcile that when you say " I believe in free speech" ?

So we only really believe in the principle of free speech when the free speech supports our views?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

You are about power and control always trying to censor people. So were nazis.  So are SJWs and feminists. So, it seems to fit.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

:lol:

That's what censorship is.

Sure but my description just sounds more palatable 

• Like 4

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

And?

1. I know we've explained this before repeatedly and you do not know what censorship or free speech is, but i'll explain again: This is not censorship, nor is it trying to stifle their free speech, it is a consumer protest aimed at making the target fit for purpose, end their false narrative and report fairly, ethically and without bias as any journalists should. This is not trying to stifle their free speech at all, they may write what they will, however there are consequences when they lie and misrespresent in their role to report for the benefit of the public.

2. We do not favour generalisations, if people lie, act in a fascist manner, are unethical, corrupt, and demonise millions whom play games recreationally then we call them out on this, these are dozens of supposed journalists and bloggers. No one reasonable has done anything except condemn the bomb threat, as we did the Sarkeesian one, and no one has pointed the finger as we have no evidence and it is now a police matter. The Isis thing is a satirical joke making fun of how SJF's accused Gamergate of being like Isis for unrelated trolls making threats on the internet, I would think this wouldn't need explaining to anyone.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I love how you can all of a sudden be dismissive of anonymous threats when the target is right. Some supposed "Bomb Threat". People who can be this hypocritical are just scumbags.

You have to admit some of those comments are funny  :lol:

John Milton 

1. I know we've explained this before repeatedly and you do not know what censorship or free speech is, but i'll explain again: This is not censorship, nor is it trying to stifle their free speech, it is a consumer protest aimed at making the target fit for purpose

Well... I'd say it's a gray area.

It's certainly not First Amendment applicable, but then again nor are a lot of other instances of censorship and attacks on Free Speech that I take issue with.

It's sad that 'progressive liberals' have abandoned the classical liberal idea of "Free Speech as a matter of principle!" and instead lowered the bar to "Any suppression of speech that doesn't technically violate the law or constitution, is totally moral if we do it!".

Lets not follow in their path by using the same rationalization against them.

• Like 1

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

I personally hold that they are free to write what they wish, and would support that, however when they insult, lie and spout untrue hate speech then I will simply inform their advertisers that I am not content with their support of the site. They are still free to write as they wish, and I would not think of censoring them in any way, and they are free to seek other advertisers or even, maybe report truthfully from an unbiased, ethical and objective viewpoint as journalists are supposed to.

Edit: For instance they could report on the GG party bomb threat in the same manner as they did the alleged Sarkeesian bomb threat, giving it the same amount of attention and equal coverage, rather than laughing it off and insulting the potential bombing victims. Of course that will not happen and thus they are biased and unfit for purpose, and that is why I and many others would question their current suitability to serve the public as any journalist should do first and foremost.

It's also a matter of accountability for me as well, at the moment the false narrative spun by the press from their position of power is being used against consumers with flagrant abandon, due to there being no oversight or accountability. In the absence of such their lies, hatred and corruption must be combated by consumers in the traditional manner that has been used in the market for years. There is simply hardly any representation of consumers, because of the endemic corruption of game journalism, thus we represent ourselves and our reasonable and ethical goals in the best way we can.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Just gonna jump in here for a second, not that the thread is currently discussing this directly, but it does come up from time to time:

censorship (n) - the practice of officially examining books, movies, etc., and suppressing unacceptable parts.

censor (n) - any person who supervises the manners or morality of others.

Generally, people are raised in this country America to believe that censorship is bad, so I can understand the desire to label what is currently being done (blockbots, comment bans, etc) as something else, using the case of the government only being able to censor, but it simple isn't true.

It's just that government-endorsed censorship that is somewhat illegal, not the rest. And that's only illegal if you don't consider all the loopholes and manners of avoiding it.

Destructoids piece about the bomb threat brings in the victim blaming.

As you might expect, accusations are currently being thrown back and forth across gaming's political isle as to whether the threats came from those who view #GamerGate as a hate group, or by "members" of #GamerGate themselves in order to help signal boost their "cause" and gain sympathy from would-be supporters.

Destructoid "journalism".

Edited by kirottu
  • Like 1

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

And?

Sure you right about definition  of what censorship means 

But free speech? These websites are openly opposed to GG and people on this  thread want these websites to go out of  business...how do you reconcile that when you say " I believe in free speech" ?

So we only really believe in the principle of free speech when the free speech supports our views?

Because they are still free to say what they want, they just have to accept the consequences of what they say if advertisers start pulling support.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Find me a serious post of mine that has anything to do with censorship. I've made it clear in the past I don't care about idiotic politics. I make my purchase of games/what I read based on if I like it or not. ie. The fact that Obsidian bowed to SJWs in censoring PE is completely irrelevant in determining if I buy their next game or not. Please don't lie.

• "We don't like generalizations about GG, generalizations are wrong. Yet all  SJW are Nazis and because there was a  bomb hoax at the GG  conference this  just confirms that anti-GG is like ISIS ( so now because of a bomb hoax the whole  of anti-GG which consists of tens of thousands of people  is like a brutal and outdated extremist group that chops off peoples heads and crucifies its opponents.....hyperbole anyone ? )"

L0L

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Lel

4g0k5fy.png

Edited by Meshugger
  • Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Lel

4g0k5fy.png

How come you guys aren't making posts saying how you sorry you are this event was cancelled? Its like your GG event and the bomb hoax...the point being the threat of violence has impacted someone saying what they want to say...we should be condemning this ?

John Milton 

Lel

4g0k5fy.png

How come you guys aren't making posts saying how you sorry you are this event was cancelled? Its like your GG event and the bomb hoax...the point being the threat of violence has impacted someone saying what they want to say...we should be condemning this ?

can+someone+explain+this+to+me+The+joke+

Edited by KaineParker
  • Like 4

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

• Like 2

Tea for the teapot!

Can someone tell me the joke? I get all the tongue-in-cheeck roasting of Sarkeesian, but did those threats not actually happen or something?

Its the article published about the bomb threat with gg stuff switched out for fem frequency stuff.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Can someone tell me the joke? I get all the tongue-in-cheeck roasting of Sarkeesian, but did those threats not actually happen or something?

That's not an actual article, it's a parody of an actual article that actually appears on Destructoid (I won't link it here, but it's easy enough to find if you want to see it).  The actual article is about the bomb threat that happened at the GG meetup.  In the article, the author, one Mr. Jonathan Holmes, takes 80% of the article to smear the **** out of Christina H. Sommers and Milo Yiannopoulos, then throws a glad no one got hurt and bomb threats are bad, mmmmmkay at the end.

Edit: Ninja'd  :ninja:

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks