Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Blarghagh

To be honest, the mere audacity to declare who you think have it worst in the long list of people who suffer from war -those who have to fight it, those who die from it, those whose who come home crippled (be it mentally or physically) and who are often left to fend for themselves, those who lose their husbands, wives, sons, daughters, fathers or mothers- is scumbaggery of the highest order.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.

Of course, we have it better these days, since our technology allows us to kill people from the remote safety of a video screen hundreds of kilometers from the scene, and all we have to do is to push a button while never at any risk ourselves. And even then sometimes those who push the button end up mentally scarred.

Edited by JadedWolf
  • Like 2

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

There is no justification for what she says. The people whose lives were cut short or who were crippled are the primary victims of war. Not their relatives who get to live. The same would never be acceptable to say if roles were reversed.

• Like 2

So the Tommy loses everything and any chance of ever having a life to lead, and he's the lucky one? Whereas the ones who have life, hope and a chance to rebuild are much worse off than the rotting corpse? This is utterly idiotic.

No Nonek, your interpretation of  what she is saying is lacking...very lacking

You can't compare the dead soldier to the grief of surviving  family members..the dead soldier is now dead and no longer has feelings, you accept that right?

So all that is now left is the residual emotional impact from his death..and only the living will experience that. And everything they are going through is because they loved him. So I'm not sure how you can see this as something "lucky" ..its not a question of luck. There are no lucky people here Nonek...people are grieving 

There are just different degrees of loss..surly you can empathize with that?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

So the Tommy loses everything and any chance of ever having a life to lead, and he's the lucky one? Whereas the ones who have life, hope and a chance to rebuild are much worse off than the rotting corpse? This is utterly idiotic.

You can't compare the dead soldier to the grief of surviving  family members..the dead soldier is now dead and no longer has feelings, you accept that right?

So all that is now left is the residual emotional impact from his death..and only the living will experience that. And everything they are going through is because they loved him. So I'm not sure how you can see this as something "lucky" ..its not a question of luck. There are no lucky people here Nonek...people are grieving 

So how do you feel about the guy who comes home without his legs, eh?

This whole discussion is beyond stupid.

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

What kind of question is that :)

I would treat him  with absolute respect and admiration...he was prepared to sacrifice himself for his country. He deserves all the support from society he needs  

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

No yours is simplistic and childish reasoning Bruce, one has one life and for that to be snatched away is the greatest tragedy there is, this should be known to anyone with a basic education. The living can move on, deal with their grief, and have hope and a tomorrow, the dead have been robbed of everything, the living have life and infinite possibility at their disposal, the dead do not.

There are different degrees of loss, and the dead have lost everything, while the living can rebuild. A ten year old should be able to work this out. Sheer idiocy.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I would treat him  with absolute respect and admiration...he was prepared to sacrifice himself for his country. He deserves all the support from society he needs  

...  I'm getting trolled here, surely?

Why do I even bother...

• Like 3

I'm frankly shocked anyone is trying to justify that.... I think this is just the perfect example of modern sj nonsense driving people mad.

The people who lost their lives... Who will never walk or talk or mourn or laugh... who lost the chance to live, to do anything at all... ever... for them it's oblivion. These are the victims who lost it all.

Edited by Fighter
  • Like 3

...  I'm getting trolled here, surely?

Why do I even bother...

No you are not being trolled, I'm sorry you feel that way. My point I thought was obvious and unequivocal 

Hilary Clinton is making figurative point that is relevant, the families of dead soldiers are also victims. Of course they are, she is not saying the soldiers who get killed are now suddenly not victims. She doesn't need to say that, that is obvious 

John Milton 

No the politician claims that women are the primary victims of war, this is simply a lie and a denegration of the true primary victims.

Edit: Ninja'd.

Edit #2: What further disgusts me is how Clinton is not only lying about and denigrating the soldiery but also relegating women to the role of victimhood. The Russian ladies whom served in the Red Army, the Land Girls whom fed England, the women who took up tools and machinery when their men left, the men, women and children who were accidental casualties of war, the prisoners of war whom died. To boil this all down into a simplistic and childish false statement making women into passive victims is both insulting and moronic.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Things went after all quite well in DC:

3hwQYou.jpg?1

CD-C_04WEAAizTg.jpg

CD-LmQXUgAA3hKz.jpg

CD-mz_3WYAAUCRV.jpg

CD91S6wVAAA9V27.jpg

...of course not. This is what happened:

CD-lD3zUkAEhG7L.png

CD-lD1-UIAA3lZJ.png

CD-lD4sVAAAoywB.png

CMqCB1w.png

CD-WorMUMAATvNK.jpg

K0lmcGb.png

The community radio station in my hometown was bombed by the Klan twice because they didn't like what was being broadcast. It was before my time, but this looks similar to me.

I think it was you who said the anti-gamers had more respect for ISIS because they were like them, looks like you were more right than we thought.

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Things went after all quite well in DC:

3hwQYou.jpg?1

CD-C_04WEAAizTg.jpg

CD-LmQXUgAA3hKz.jpg

CD-mz_3WYAAUCRV.jpg

CD91S6wVAAA9V27.jpg

...of course not. This is what happened:

CD-lD3zUkAEhG7L.png

CD-lD1-UIAA3lZJ.png

CD-lD4sVAAAoywB.png

CMqCB1w.png

CD-WorMUMAATvNK.jpg

K0lmcGb.png

The community radio station in my hometown was bombed by the Klan twice because they didn't like what was being broadcast. It was before my time, but this looks similar to me.

I think it was you who said the anti-gamers had more respect for ISIS because they were like them, looks like you were more right than we thought.

Pleazzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....no more theatrics and drama..I don't think I can take it anymore. Was a real bomb found or was it a hoax?

John Milton 

The speech is from a rather long one at a domestic violence conference in 1998.  The use of the word primary is sloppy, and I doubt you will catch her saying something like that in her current campaign.

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 1

Laying it on a bit thick, don't you think?  Any douchebag can be responsible for this.  Considering people get swatted for winning online games nowadays, I'd hardly compare this to the civil rights movement.

• Like 2

Yes quite a different reaction to the alleged bomb threat against Ms Sarkeesian, touch of hypocrisy there, as every reasonable person condemned that.

Edit: Nice to see all of the diversity at that Gamergate gathering.

Edited by Nonek

Tea for the teapot!

And not one anti-gg person on these forums has condemned the bomb hoax. Quite telling.

CD-llMWUIAAV4R1.png

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I question any study that says in society men are victims of the same type of abuse by women that women are subjected to by men.

That sounds like you've already made up your mind Bruce.    Well this will probably be ignored then but I know of several recent studies that show Male victims of abuse outnumber female victims.   One is the 2011 joint study by the CDC and Justice department.   

There has been a significant change in the demographics of abuse victims over the last 10 to 20 years.  Female (victim) abuse rates have been dropping while male abuse rates have been steady.  You might have been right 20 years ago or even 10 but not today. 

Edited by kgambit

And not one anti-gg person on these forums has condemned the bomb hoax. Quite telling.

I condemn the bomb hoax.  Kind of seems like a statement of the obvious, but there you go.   :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Laying it on a bit thick, don't you think?  Any douchebag can be responsible for this.  Considering people get swatted for winning online games nowadays, I'd hardly compare this to the civil rights movement.

The tactics are the same, you sabotage when you don't want then to speak.

And it occurred after the Civil Rights movement(or at least at the tail end).

So when Anita Sarkeesian received threats, did you leap to her defense and say she deserves to speak?  I'm not being facetious, you may have and I simply don't remember, as it has been a long time.  

I believe both sides have the right to speak.  But I also think both sides are crazy.   :aiee:

So when Anita Sarkeesian received threats, did you leap to her defense and say she deserves to speak?  I'm not being facetious, you may have and I simply don't remember, as it has been a long time.  

I believe both sides have the right to speak.  But I also think both sides are crazy.   :aiee:

Yes, I believe everyone has the right to speak or assemble. I'd say there is something different than a threat said to be invalid(probably not the right word, but I'm tired at the moment) before the speaking event begins and threats issued during an event to get people kicked out though.

I did and I recall a few others doing so, indeed as I remember many stated that she should not have cancelled one of her speeches for bogus reasons as well. She has a perfect right to speak whatever Mr McIntosh had prepared for her.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 2

Tea for the teapot!