Hacks to improve load times?

Load times drastical decrease if you use just 1 or 2 save points additional to the autosave. Ak overwrite them instead of adding a new one.

If you have tons of independend save points search the save folder and move all but the last 2+autosave to a backup directory. If you still like to use seperate save points simply move the oldest one to the backup directoy after each save season ;).

Sometimes load times even improve, if you unpack a save file and repack it by using WinZip or any other packing software.

The problem seams to have two seperate components:

1) the game touches irelevant save games if not neaded (load the hole savegame folder EVERY load-screen for no reason)

2) some compression problems with save games (bad compression algorythem?, wrong use?)

Load times drastical decrease if you use just 1 or 2 save points additional to the autosave. Ak overwrite them instead of adding a new one.

If you have tons of independend save points search the save folder and move all but the last 2+autosave to a backup directory. If you still like to use seperate save points simply move the oldest one to the backup directoy after each save season ;).

Sometimes load times even improve, if you unpack a save file and repack it by using WinZip or any other packing software.

1) the game touches irelevant save games if not neaded (load the hole savegame folder EVERY load-screen for no reason)

2) some compression problems with save games (bad compression algorythem?, wrong use?)

How drastically? I have two save files, one autosave file, and one quicksave file. That's all. It takes over a minute for every single area transition and 15+ seconds to quicksve/load. The game is already exceedingly hard to play, I would hate to see it being much worse than this.

How drastically? I have two save files, one autosave file, and one quicksave file. That's all. It takes over a minute for every single area transition and 15+ seconds to quicksve/load. The game is already exceedingly hard to play, I would hate to see it being much worse than this.

Wow, this is rather extreme.  Over a minute to load a new area?  Damn.  Mine ranges from about 15 to 20 seconds most of the time.

As for save files, I try to go with more than just the Autosave and the Quicksave, just because I like having some fall back saves.  That said, I don't keep my manual saves around for long.  I try to thin the herd every so often.  I also have turned off the Steam save file auto-sync, which seemed to improve loading up the "Load Game" screen a fair bit.

I suspect the new save format of 1.05 is there to improve loading times. If 1.05 shows no improvement in that area, it's possible that the new format is groundwork for optimizations aimed at patch 1.06... Or not :)

I'm on the beta of 1.05 and don't see any improvement. To be fair, I'm on a rather old machine and the game runs flawless in ever other aspect, but the loading times are definetely taking some of the enjoyment. Especially in Defiance Bay where you virtually have to go through dozens of map transitions. As has been said, I find myself planning loading screen oders instead of simply enjoying the ride.

Wow, this is rather extreme.  Over a minute to load a new area?  Damn.  Mine ranges from about 15 to 20 seconds most of the time.

As for save files, I try to go with more than just the Autosave and the Quicksave, just because I like having some fall back saves.  That said, I don't keep my manual saves around for long.  I try to thin the herd every so often.  I also have turned off the Steam save file auto-sync, which seemed to improve loading up the "Load Game" screen a fair bit.

Sorry, I think I was a bit ambiguous, I have two manual save files, in addition to auto and quick. So four overall, but still not enough to be causing issues. I also have the GoG version, so steam syncing isn't an issue either.

But yeah, a minute per area is getting kind of insufferable. I just had to backtrack from level 15 of Od Nua to the Dyrford Inn and back, so I spent the best part of ten minutes just in loading screens. It's gotten worse the further I've gotten into the game, so I started a new file just to see the difference and sure enough, quicksaves/loads take a second and area transitions take about 15-20. The game also seems to run a lot more smoothly.

I really wish that the devs would investigate this issue.  I'm probably a LOT more patient than a lot of you fellow players, but even for me, the load times seem overly long.  I'm not saying that the area loading needs to be instantaneous, but it'd be nice if it could be cut down to say 5-10 seconds?

I'm on a mechanical 7200 rpm HD, and my save times are near instantaneous and load times are 10 - 15 seconds. I use rolling manual saves, always deleting the oldest and making a new save. I also periodically delete my quicksave / autosave, so that the quick/auto are fresh.

I do this because of a BB bug reported. Someone mentioned that overwriting existing saves makes them load slower. I'm not sure if that's still the case, but ~10s for 2.5 mb saves doesn't seem bad. I also only keep 6 manual saves. Maybe my times would be worse if I had 380 saves.

i'm playing on a 6 yr old macbook pro with 8 gb ram and 5400 spd hd. my initial loading window is about 2 minutes. once i start playing it's about 30 seconds each. but that surprises me. my systems ancient compared to a lot of you guys, yet your loads are only about 50% faster. I'm sure with faster hd i'd be right there with ya at 10-15 sec loads.