Rest bonus from completed keep should be waaaaay better

Has this been discussed much? I've completed my keep and am partway into Act III, and it seems strange that with all these amazing additions to my home, I can still get way better resting bonuses by staying in a hotel. Even the inn in Act II had some better bonuses.

At this point spending a few hundred copper is pocket change for me, and wasting time going through multiple loading screens to get a single or maybe two +1 bonuses isn't worth anything.

My suggestion woud be to make some level of synergy between the keep improvements. Once you have 3 bonuses built in maybe combine two of them, and once you have all of them, combine 4 of them...

It might be something to make coming home worth a dang.

• Like 1

I thought the same thing.  I expected those bonuses from repairing all those buildings to stack. "Oh cool," I thought, as I shelled out thousands of copper and waited weeks (of in-game time) to put up several buildings with bonuses I particularly wanted, "once I get the whole placed fixed up, I can rest there and get a +1 to everything."

... except no.  The hedge maze or woodland paths or whatever it is gives you a +1 to, um, might and survival, I think?  It's the only multi-bonus in the entire stronghold, everything else is piecemeal single stat buffs.  For Woedica's sake, spending the night with a whore at the Salty Mast gives you more bonuses than that.

Considering the fact that you'll have spent tens of thousands of copper by the time you get the whole keep upgraded, and that you'd have to travel all the way from wherever you are to the keep, then back after resting, I don't think it's too much to ask to have those bonuses to Brighthollow be cumulative.

To be fair, having all the bonuses be cumulative would make for one overpowered buff - at a certain point all you'd be doing is backtracking to your stonghold to rest there since resting at town inns just couldn't compare.

The resting bonuses are just icing on the cake anyway, the upgrades that give resting bonus unlocks have a good objectives  on their own as well.

• Like 1

xosmi.gif

But it should be an overpowered buff. You spent something like 20000 on it and you need to travel from wherever it is you were and you have to go through at least 4 loading screens. One of PoE's greatest flaws is that it is extremely reluctant to reward the player in any way that makes a meaningful difference. This is much more apparent in the items, but it happens with the stronghold as well. Where the old games elicit reactions of "Wow, this is awesome!", PoE much more often draws "Is that it? Really?"

• Like 13

It would be better to allow you to choose which bonuses apply to which companions - I'd like a wizard to spend their time in the library working on lore or upping intellect at the forum, while a fighter could go to the training ground to increase might etc.

Since we have to choose one bonus for everyone, it means most of them end up not being used.  (And makes staying in an Inn better by far)

• Like 4

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

It is to make you "spend resources" (though by that time in the game, you are probably carrying around 70,000+ cps like I currently am with nothing to spend it on) by forcing you to pay for the better bonus at an Inn instead of getting it for "free" at your Stronghold.

Total, Epic fail.

It's not even that overpowered; +4 Intellect vs +1 to everything is not an obvious choice.

Its not overpowered AT ALL.

Yeah it is an obvious choice. +4 all the way every time. Unless you need a skill boost for something in particular. The boosts are percentage based. Higher and focused beats low and spread out by a mile because no one needs every stat boosted.

Having it be cumulative is in no way overpowered. Itd still be pretty weak actually. 

The keep takes a lot of in game money but the ammount is trivial after all. I mean I finished the game having more than 40k gold spare after I've completed the Stronghold nad that's after I bought some magic items from the Twin Elms market just because I wanted to spend my money somewhere. Its upgrades are really cheap especially when you get mid-game.

At start I also though that the rest bonuses stack, but I'm not sure if I'd like it to be this way. It would make it overpower and I'd skip resting in the town or city I'm currently in because it would be more advantageous to travel back to the stonghold and rest there, then come back where I was. It's a bit tireing (many load screens and such) and also breaks the adventuring/travelling atmosphere also.

I agree full upgraded Stronghold should give all those resting bonuses to you same time, and it isn't even that overpowered, when you compare it to inns that give you +6 attribute bonuses, and full stronghold would give you same +6 attribute bonuses and +5 skill bonuses. Now resting in inns is only reasonable thing to do, especially in late game as you aren't going to run out money any time soon if you have done even little bit of looting and selling stuff.

It's not even that overpowered; +4 Intellect vs +1 to everything is not an obvious choice.

Yeah it is an obvious choice. +4 all the way every time. Unless you need a skill boost for something in particular. The boosts are percentage based. Higher and focused beats low and spread out by a mile because no one needs every stat boosted.

Having it be cumulative is in no way overpowered. Itd still be pretty weak actually. 

With various conversation checks and other situations where +1 to different skills would prove useful in succession, I'd take the cumulative stronghold bonuses on many occasions, for convenience.  Just not all occasions.

• Like 3

With various conversation checks and other situations where +1 to different skills would prove useful in succession, I'd take the cumulative stronghold bonuses on many occasions, for convenience.  Just not all occasions.

So an edge case where youre trying to metagame some dialogue checks means itd be overpowered? Please.

And Id love to hear some actual examples where this would be at all useful. I can recall very few dialogues like youre describing.

What conversation has within one dialogue high skill checks for multiple skills? Even if that were true itd be useful in those rare situations. Not even close to overpowered.

Edited by Shdy314

I never said it was overpowered, dude.  What I said was that taking either the cumulative bonuses or +4 Intellect was not an obvious choice, and explained why.

Your reasoning is still garbage. Skill checks are rare. Rarely needed even if checked. And tend to be quite high. +1 making a difference will thus also be insanely rare. Just because youd make a dumb choice doesnt mean the choice isnt obvious. The only time you should choose a +1 to mechanics over something like +4 int is because you know a check is coming up and what that check is and that +1 is going to be enough.

Edited by Shdy314

I never said it was overpowered, dude.  What I said was that taking either the cumulative bonuses or +4 Intellect was not an obvious choice, and explained why.

Your reasoning is still garbage. Skill checks are rare. Rarely needed even if checked. And tend to be quite high. +1 making a difference will thus also be insanely rare. Just because youd make a dumb choice doesnt mean the choice isnt obvious. The only time you should choose a +1 to mechanics over something like +4 int is because you know a check is coming up and what that check is and that +1 is going to be enough.

Uh-huh.

It's been discussed a little bit, yeah, and I definitely think that the Keep bonuses should stack. There's an inn in Defiance Bay that gives +4 Intellect, and the one in Dyrford can give +2 to three different Attributes. Even the one in Gilded Vale has a good bonus that gives +Mechanics.

Making the keep resting bonuses stack wouldn't make it broken, just worthwile.

I never said it was overpowered, dude. What I said was that taking either the cumulative bonuses or +4 Intellect was not an obvious choice, and explained why.

You never know when a Mechanics check is coming up.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

It's been discussed a little bit, yeah, and I definitely think that the Keep bonuses should stack. There's an inn in Defiance Bay that gives +4 Intellect, and the one in Dyrford can give +2 to three different Attributes. Even the one in Gilded Vale has a good bonus that gives +Mechanics.

I never said it was overpowered, dude. What I said was that taking either the cumulative bonuses or +4 Intellect was not an obvious choice, and explained why.

Or hell, sometimes you do know it's coming up, and you're 1 point shy.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

But you don't know if it's 1 point, 2 points, or 3 points.

God, that will be frustrating, because I know it'll happen.

"I know it's here! I KNOW IT'S HERE! WHY CAN'T I SEE IT?!".

t50aJUd.jpg

I thought the same thing.  I expected those bonuses from repairing all those buildings to stack.

Yeah me too.

Waiting for a mod to do just that.

To be fair, having all the bonuses be cumulative would make for one overpowered buff

Nah, it would be in the same league as the existing inns.

Defiance Bay has an inn that gives +4 INT, which is incredible for spellcasters (especially since it stacks with "+2 INT while equipped" items).

Twin Elms has an inn that gives +2 RES, +2 CON, +2 MIG all at the same time.

Letting the stronghold stack its measly +1 bonuses wouldn't be OP at all in comparison.

• Like 3

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

But you don't know if it's 1 point, 2 points, or 3 points.

God, that will be frustrating, because I know it'll happen.

"I know it's here! I KNOW IT'S HERE! WHY CAN'T I SEE IT?!".

You do if you memorize all of those things like a crazy person.

(Named gkathellar.)

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

That is why Gods of PoE invented those +3 mechanics scrolls.