Can't get over how good POE is & why Bioware abandoned this style of gameplay.

Nope. As Idleray noted, it's probably just not your kind of game. I love it, but there are plenty (as demonstrated in this thread) that think it's complete ****. That's the way the turkey tumbles.

It looks pretty much like my kind of game, so I probably just wasn't in the right mood to delve into another one at the moment. Happens from time to time.

Actually, I apologize for the line you quoted. It was somewhat of an awkward attack against people praising DA:O, implying that arguing with someone whose mind already made up doesn't lead anywhere.

If someone liked any game - it's already not a complete ****. :)

It looks pretty much like my kind of game, so I probably just wasn't in the right mood to delve into another one at the moment. Happens from time to time.

Actually, I apologize for the line you quoted. It was somewhat of an awkward attack against people praising DA:O, implying that arguing with someone whose mind already made up doesn't lead anywhere.

If someone liked any game - it's already not a complete ****. :)

No need to apologize. You certainly didn't offend me. I figured, though, that 10 hours was probably long enough to get a feel for whether or not you like the game. Since you own it, give it another shot if you're in the mood. I'll not try to convince you that it's the most original and cutting-edge fantasy RPG that's ever been made or that the companions are stunningly well crafted, original, and perfect. Because it's not. But I found I liked a lot of the companions and I really enjoyed the combat. Story is nothing spectacular, but it's fairly solid IMO, and there are definitely different consequences to different actions you take.

Thing about games is, it really boils down to personal taste. But there you go, I guess I done went and tried to convince you to try it. You wascally wabbit!

On the subject of why they stopped making these style of games, besides the console reason, I believe there's also the fact that reviews of Icewind Dale 2 (the last IE game to come out) mentioned that the Infinity Engine was really starting to show its age at the time. Also, the first person style of RPG was gaining popularity then. And first person shooters were starting to dominate the landscape too. I'm not saying these were the only reasons, but I think it had a lot to do with it.

Edited by Sluggy7

No need to apologize. You certainly didn't offend me. I figured, though, that 10 hours was probably long enough to get a feel for whether or not you like the game. Since you own it, give it another shot if you're in the mood. I'll not try to convince you that it's the most original and cutting-edge fantasy RPG that's ever been made or that the companions are stunningly well crafted, original, and perfect. Because it's not. But I found I liked a lot of the companions and I really enjoyed the combat. Story is nothing spectacular, but it's fairly solid IMO, and there are definitely different consequences to different actions you take.

Thing about games is, it really boils down to personal taste. But there you go, I guess I done went and tried to convince you to try it. You wascally wabbit!

I have PoE on PotD to finish first. And I must be really suck at the game because it doesn't feel anything like "faceroll" as to middle of the Act 2 which everyone here saying it is.

Anyway, consider me convinced to give DA:O another shot. Maybe this time around companions won't frighten me off (yes, it was their fault before!)

Edited by Yellow Rabbit
  • Like 1

In my opinion DA:O, DA2, DA:I, Cities: Skylines and PoE all are good games, any single one of them is not perfect game, or near perfect game, they all have features and issues that I dislike, but overall I enjoyed to play them and I have spent at least 100 hours with every single one of them, I have hundreds of games from which I can't say same, so they are good games because I have enjoyed them and they have been able to keep me interested quite long when I have played them. Can't comment anything about SimCity (2013) as I haven't played it and probably will not play it.

• Like 3

In my opinion DA:O, DA2, DA:I, Cities: Skylines and PoE all are good games, any single one of them is not perfect game, or near perfect game, they all have features and issues that I dislike, but overall I enjoyed to play them and I have spent at least 100 hours with every single one of them, I have hundreds of games from which I can't say same, so they are good games because I have enjoyed them and they have been able to keep me interested quite long when I have played them. Can't comment anything about SimCity (2013) as I haven't played it and probably will not play it.

Hear hear. I've personally had enough of the pointless Bioware bashing everywhere I see on the internet. You'd swear from all the vitriol that Bioware killed these fanboy's loved ones and desecrated their corpse rather than release a game that they didn't agree with...which is more or less the same thing to them I guess.

Bioware make games for a certain market now. They have bills to pay. They have sales targets to meet coz they're owned by EA. Don't like it? Move on.

Please don't whine about their games being "watered down" or that games in general are "watered down" "these days". 

It sounds like some kind of poser who says "music these days is so generic and commercial".

There are always  games out there that cater to core gamers no matter the genre/niche , just as there are thousands of bands out there doing good original music. If you find big company games too unworthy of your refined gaming tastes then get out there and find something that suits you because I'm pretty sure it exists.

• Like 5

On the subject of why they stopped making these style of games, besides the console reason, I believe there's also the fact that reviews of Icewind Dale 2 (the last IE game to come out) mentioned that the Infinity Engine was really starting to show its age at the time. Also, the first person style of RPG was gaining popularity then. And first person shooters were starting to dominate the landscape too. I'm not saying these were the only reasons, but I think it had a lot to do with it.

I suspect the term "starting to show its age" is an invention of marketeers trying to start a new gaming fashion trend. "Hey, this engine is really starting to show its age. Why not buy our new, much more expensive engine with all the stunning graphic widgets and doodads? It's all the rage in the console market."

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Bioware has been going downhill after DAO which is what I consider the last real rpg they produced(didn't play DA2 so can't comment on that one). It is not that they are bad games, but they are bad RPGs. They are more akin to action games than RPGs these days.

• Like 1

Wait are you trying to convince people who like something that they are somehow wrong for liking it? I think that is going to be an uphill battle.

This entire board looks like such battle for quite some time already. Why not give a little rest to poor Baldur's Gate and argue over DA:O for a change?

Btw, I got bored with DA:O within 10 hours, dropped and never felt like trying it again.cat-0011.gif Would someone try to convince me it's an awesome game? Anyone?

On topic, though, PoE couldn't "destroy" any of the Dragon Ages to begin with simply because they're playing in different leagues, let alone have entirely different design filosophies. Comparing them is just not right.

DA:O did have the balls to let you miss a ton of content because of real, good roleplaying choices. I'll give it that. Also I liked what they tried with the Origins bit. Combat system was a bit of a drag sometimes and balance was odd to say the least.

"LOL are you trolling?"

You have to be delusional to believe that BG is better at actual role-playing than BIO's  more recent games. More fun? Yeah very arguable. More RPGish? LMFAO

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Guys keep in mind, I was talking about Inquisition. Dragon Age Origins was an incredible game, I LOVE DAO, but that Bioware we know is dead. This new Bioware only cares about making their games as gay as possible and making all the women look like men (except for morrigan & leliana).

In regards to my avatar, I modified that picture to give Cassandra female facial proportions.  Unfortunately her original vanilla mesh face structure is based on male skeletal structure which is why she looks like a god damn man, which is also why she's popular amongst gay men and women.  To think she's supposed to be a romance option for straight males, lol. *shakes head*.

Calisca's 2D art is ten times more fantastical and beautiful than Christopher ****ing Pentaghast's horrid face.

265px-Calisca-portrait.jpg?version=964ee

Edited by luzarius
  • Like 1

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

Guys keep in mind, I was talking about Inquisition. Dragon Age Origins was an incredible game, I LOVE DAO, but that Bioware we know is dead. This new Bioware only cares about making their games as gay as possible and making all the women look like men (except for morrigan & leliana).

In regards to my avatar, I modified that picture to give Cassandra female facial proportions.  Unfortunately her original vanilla mesh face structure is based on male skeletal structure which is why she looks like a god damn man, which is also why she's popular amongst gay men and women.  To think she's supposed to be a romance option for straight males, lol. *shakes head*.

There are more heterosexual romances in DA:I than homosexual or bisexual ones. At no point in the DA series have there been more homosexual than heterosexual options.

And here I thought I'd escape the "I'm a heterosexual male and not being catered to exclusively!" bull**** was exclusive to the BSN. I am sorry that having the same amount of romance options as gay men or lesbians qualifies as "as gay as possible" to you.

Edited by Svirfneblin

There are more heterosexual romances in DA:I than homosexual or bisexual ones. At no point in the DA series have there been more homosexual than heterosexual options.

And here I thought I'd escape the "I'm a heterosexual male and not being catered to exclusively!" bull**** was exclusive to the BSN. I am sorry that having the same amount of romance options as gay men or lesbians qualifies as "as gay as possible" to you.

DUDE are you blind, cassandra pentaghast looks like a ****ing man.  That does not count as a straight romance option.  She looks like a god damn transgender shemale or something, it's disturbing.

Edited by luzarius

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

DUDE are you blind, cassandra pentaghast looks like a ****ing man.  That does not count as a straight romance option.  She looks like a god damn transgender shemale or something, it's disturbing.

Looks are pretty subjective, but I think most people would identify Cassandra as female and some find her attractive. Sorry Bioware doesn't give you boners anymore?

Bioware has been going downhill after DAO which is what I consider the last real rpg they produced(didn't play DA2 so can't comment on that one). It is not that they are bad games, but they are bad RPGs. They are more akin to action games than RPGs these days.

Agreed. They might still be games but they aren't cRPG's. They are all action/adventure hybrids while not being aRPG's either.

Do you know why Dragon Age Inquisition works better than Pillars of Eternity?

Because it's on consoles? Because there is more advertising? Or simply because "new players" prefers this kind?

(Maybe I should try DAI... but when I look at videos, it seems so boring and unsexy to me...)

Anyway, it's sure that 3D is not the most important? It's another kind of game, and we didn't talk about it in this thread... but I'm still hoping for a new Heroes of Might and Magic I really would like to play! There is so much to do, and they never go in the good direction. Sorry... I mean: the direction I would love. ;-) I would be happy to "kickstart" for an old-fashion, beautiful (HD 2D), revisited, serious and complex HOMM. I don't say that new ones are bad! And I guess that Heroes VII will not be bad. But... come on... I don't think a real fan of HOMM 2 & 3 could really be excited with Heroes VII trailer? (And it's not nice to say that, because I'm sure they worked a lot...)

Edited by chouia

"LOL are you trolling?"

You have to be delusional to believe that BG is better at actual role-playing than BIO's  more recent games. More fun? Yeah very arguable. More RPGish? LMFAO

In Baldur's Gate you can actually roleplay your character using the systems of the game rather than just selecting between RED and BLUE options. In Baldur's Gate if you're in a town you can flip out and kill people if you want to, which makes it meaningful when you don't, while in modern Bioware games you can only kill sanctioned targets (and are usually obligated to), you can stealth past many enemies in BG that in a Bioware game would lock you in cutscene out of stealth and then force you to fight them however you'd approached it. And hell, even the choice between RED and BLUE options is often utterly miniscule.

What Bioware are making nowadays are interactive stories, really, with as tight a straitjacket as they can manage, and which don't stand up to the better executed Telltale games which are built around a leaner version of the same system, rather than CRPGs.

Getting 90 on metacritic is no easy task.

With today's games, just being different gets you a high score.  So many game makers are afraid to get outside the box so you see the same thing reimplemented again and again.  There are a lot of people waiting for good RPG games, so any of them will get a good score as long as they're decent.  It may not be the huge market of a shooting game or JRPG but it still makes a lot of players happy.

So whether PoE or DA:O are better is irrelevent, both are great games and it's nice to have both of them around in the barren RPG wasteland.

^ Have you seen someone, and by this I mean a professional, about this fixation?

Seriously. Not liking a character's look is OK. But the obsession with wanting every female to be a supermodel is getting a bit disturbing. I actually think Cassandra is pretty, even if she isn't very sexy. Definitely not some sort of hideous mutant.

Besides, given that the majority of female party members in Dragon Age are drop-dead gorgeous, variety is welcome. Not everyone in a medieval world is going to look as good as Morrigan. To say nothing of Mass Effect in which every single major female character was fanservice-y to a degree. 

• Like 1

They primarily wanted to increase their audience, there's little more to it, and there's nothing wrong with that inherently, and they have undoubtedly made people consider RPGs that wouldn't have otherwise -- and if all their subsequent IPs made people happy, more power to them. It was admitted by some of their own founding members here: http://www.pcgamesn.com/sword-coast-legends/inside-sword-coast-legends-back-to-baldurs-gate-with-the-director-of-dragon-age-origins.

As for Bioware now, there are a number of people still at the company from back then, but hoping for them to return to more specialized games is kind of like all the people who had hoped for Lucas Arts post 2000 to return to the classic adventure games that brought them their initial reputation as quirky, creative studio before it turned into milking Star Wars: a lot of people have left the building anyhow, and whilst marketing and brand recognition does it's best to trick you, ultimately it's about the people making the games, not a brand name or company logo it's being released under. Obsidian genuinely wanted to go back to a style that has been abandoned in favor of multi-plattform larger than life blockbuster games, save for some indie developers, and they did. They also had the experience and staff to do so though as there's a big overlap with Black Isle/Interplay of yore, and there are members from defunct Troika aboard as well. Some of those go way back years before Bioware was even founded by its original founders who have left the company years ago.

Even so, and I can't see how all of those different games wouldn't be able to happily exist alongside each other, which I hope they'll do - this talked about "renaissance" of PC RPGs is a comparably recent thing, remember, and I don't see even specialized PC publishers for some reason picking those guys up (which exist, and which support much smaller projects). Currently I have a strong preference to more specialized games as with games it's kind of like with movies: The more money's going into it the more it'll have to earn back eventually, and that increasingly means catering to just about anyone the bigger you get. It's not even worth arguing that a game such as PoE would have been a much bigger compromise had it to be released on more platforms as PC/Mac/Linux, as even with the higher resolution and more RAM of current consoles the amount of micro-management required isn't suited to game pads. Also a fun blockbuster romp full of over the top stuff, boobs and special effects to boot can be very entertaining if done well, but if that's all there is then ugh.

Edited by Sven_