Can't get over how good POE is & why Bioware abandoned this style of gameplay.

I just can't get over how good this game is, especially once you've found a class you really enjoy.  It boggles the mind to why Bioware abandoned this style of gameplay.

Paradox/Obsidian are smart to cash in on EA/Bioware's incompetence.  

POE crushes Dragon Age Inquisition.

Cities Skyline destroys Simcity.

*cheers*

beer.jpg

• Like 16

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

The "3D Revolution" happened all over the entire gaming industry at the time, so it's kind of understandable.

Now we're in the "Retrospective Revolution", where we look back and see where we went wrong :p

• Like 10

I have to admit that I prefer the Dragon Age: Origins (or Eclipse) engine to this one, but that's because I really like being able to shift and move the camera perspective. But that's just a personal preference. This is so far an excellent story and one that I'm taking my time in enjoying.

• Like 1

"I can't get over" why people need to bash one game that is loved by many to praise another. PoE and DA:I are very different games, both have their strengths and weaknesses and which one you prefer is a matter of taste.

• Like 8

The entire Dragon Age Franchise and lore is some of the worst writing in the last 10 years and Bioware's poor choice of world engine and outdated visuals made it even worse.

The only good that came out of DA was Sandal.

Huh. Well I agree there are limitations to the Dragon Age lore as a gaming franchise. Way too few monsters and bad guys to choose from. But this is a bit hyperbolic.

• Like 1

It probably sold around 10 times more copies and will end up selling around 3 to 5 times better after the sales ,so no ,POE did not crush  DAI.

And DAI is pretty good IMO , I personally prefer POE but at least it was better than dragon gay 2...

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!

It probably sold around 10 times more copies and will end up selling around 3 to 5 times better after the sales ,so no ,POE did not crush  DAI.

And DAI is pretty good IMO , I personally prefer POE but at least it was better than dragon gay 2...

Getting 90 on metacritic is no easy task.

POE - 90 - user score: 8.6

Inquisition 85 - user score: 5.8

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

Like EA gives a crap about ratings...

All they care about is $$$.

They are probably annoyed about Cities Skyline though.

Edited by barakav

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!

The "3D Revolution" happened all over the entire gaming industry at the time, so it's kind of understandable.

Now we're in the "Retrospective Revolution", where we look back and see where we went wrong :p

While I think that's an interesting perspective, Bioware *did* have Dragon Age: Origins, but chose to abandon that style of play for "cinematic" Mass Effect-like gameplay and storytelling, so it's not entirely true.

Also, we should remember that all of this can essentially be blamed on Electronic Arts. When they aquired Bioware, everything that was Bioware died. EA has never successfully acquired something that they haven't murdered, butchered, and stitched together like a reanimated abomination to service the eternal one.

• Like 7

t50aJUd.jpg

I thi

I just can't get over how good this game is, especially once you've found a class you really enjoy.  It boggles the mind to why Bioware abandoned this style of gameplay.

Paradox/Obsidian are smart to cash in on EA/Bioware's incompetence.  

POE crushes Dragon Age Inquisition.

Cities Skyline destroys Simcity.

*cheers*

In one word: consoles.  After 2002 there was a huge move by western developers away from the PC onto consoles, and games like PoE don't work without a mouse and keyboard.  Dragon Age: Origin for instance is a completely different game on the PC, and much more comparable to PoE.

• Like 3

One of the beauties of the marketplace is the fact that, if there is a demand, there will more than likely be a supply. While DA:I is successful in its own right as an AAA title, I'm very happy there was enough demand for Obsidian to slide into the niche market of old school isometric RPG's. Bioware and EA Games can continue with their mainstream titles for all I care (I'm not saying its a bad thing), so long as they don't start buying up the little guys like Larian and Obsidian. I don't think we have too much to worry about there, but one never knows!

• Like 2

In one word: consoles.  After 2002 there was a huge move by western developers away from the PC onto consoles, and games like PoE don't work without a mouse and keyboard.  Dragon Age: Origin for instance is a completely different game on the PC, and much more comparable to PoE.

Yup.

I'll be very curious to see how well Wasteland 2 is received by console players, now that a port is underway. The fact that it uses turn-based combat probably helps with the actual port, but that may not fly well with a console game.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Because they were driven by huge sales, not just nice sales.

Everything they did they felt they were improving this style, and sales matched that. Ass Effect and DA are all what they are from the old games and moving in their opinion the genre forward, through NWN, KOTOR etc. So they don't feel they abandoned it, they felt they continued to advance it.

Like anything there are always some that like the original stuff and some that like the new thing.

That said, the genre never deserved to die like it did, but it also showed how few developers there were out there and how the market was controlled by the big publishers. Since we have hundreds of independents now, these nice sale products are just fine. Ala where we are at today. Thank the likes of Steam or Unity, game changers.

All said, I don't poo poo on some of the new things either, I like FPS view a lot to. There is a lot of good out there these days, the problem is time not quality for me.

As I say elsewhere, if this scene continues to exist, I don't have to have another AAA game ever, I'll be fine.

Edited by Horrorscope

I really loved DAO. I had my quibbles. Race and class choice really felt cramped and limited. "3 & 3". It was interesting to choose an "origin" (background) and then get 6 different initial scenarios, admittedly. Although each was basically "6 different ways to meet your Duncan". But everything else was great. 

I was shocked by DA2. Almost everything I loved about DAO was gone. What was this f**king "wheel thing"? No longer could I pick what my PC was about to say by actually picking it, I had to "guess" what would result from an emoticon & a paraphrase. The combat was a lot of crap. What Bio genius thought the best way to make fights interesting was to shower bandits on you from rooftops like rain? Even in dungeons they kept falling from the roof tiles. 

Some of the initial marketing for DAI led me to believe they realized what went wrong with DA2 and DAI would be a return to their roots. **** me if that wasn't a giant lie, the giant neon sign being "made for PC gamers by PC gamers". 

DAI completed the DA2 process of hosing everything fun & interesting about DAO: no more mods, they made it **** on PC, no Mac/Linux version, less AI & customization for companions, they even removed the freaking cheat console (which was obligatory IMHO for "fixing"/"customizing" certain flaws in the other games, especially in DA2 which had less mod support.)

*sigh* I bought the lie.

I've been reading about what PoE was going to be like -- and here's the thing. They delivered. Sure I still have quibbles. I mentioned them in other threads. But all I can say is unlike Bio, I didn't feel any dramatic bait and switch. Granted, I was never a KS/backer. I'm just somebody who read about this project, and decided I would get it on release, and did. 

• Like 4

Also, we should remember that all of this can essentially be blamed on Electronic Arts. When they aquired Bioware, everything that was Bioware died. EA has never successfully acquired something that they haven't murdered, butchered, and stitched together like a reanimated abomination to service the eternal one.

Quoted for being the unvarnished truth.

• Like 7

I'm not sure that Bioware abandoned it as much as they were forced to change. DAO sort of proves that in my eyes. 

I still think that DAO, which I believe had the majority of its development done under Bioware proper before its release after the EA buyout, was a very very good melding of the IE style with 3D. An intelligent evolution of sorts that absolutely nailed a nice mix of the two, without either overpowering the other. It had flaws, but it showed what "could have been" if that development course hadn't been interrupted if you know what I mean. Talented people hamstrung.

As for DA's successors, well,  I suppose the changes could be called a matter of taste but it was at the cost of the original vision. Those changes completely transformed everything that the games themselves were based upon. I think that someone had to pick up the ball that was dropped. 

I'm glad that POE was made and that it has shown that these types of games are still popular. Much work to be done and all.

Just my opinion obviously.

• Like 1

I liked DA:I and PoE, probably DA:I a little more. I also liked DA2 for the record despite its flaws. My start to CRPGs was Baldur's Gate 1 + 2 (moreso 2).

I know there are a lot of 'old school' fans that have a lot of criticism for more modern RPGs, but I don't fit in with that crowd I guess.

I really loved DAO. I had my quibbles. Race and class choice really felt cramped and limited. "3 & 3". It was interesting to choose an "origin" (background) and then get 6 different initial scenarios, admittedly. Although each was basically "6 different ways to meet your Duncan". But everything else was great. 

I was shocked by DA2. Almost everything I loved about DAO was gone. What was this f**king "wheel thing"? No longer could I pick what my PC was about to say by actually picking it, I had to "guess" what would result from an emoticon & a paraphrase. The combat was a lot of crap. What Bio genius thought the best way to make fights interesting was to shower bandits on you from rooftops like rain? Even in dungeons they kept falling from the roof tiles. 

Some of the initial marketing for DAI led me to believe they realized what went wrong with DA2 and DAI would be a return to their roots. **** me if that wasn't a giant lie, the giant neon sign being "made for PC gamers by PC gamers". 

DAI completed the DA2 process of hosing everything fun & interesting about DAO: no more mods, they made it **** on PC, no Mac/Linux version, less AI & customization for companions, they even removed the freaking cheat console (which was obligatory IMHO for "fixing"/"customizing" certain flaws in the other games, especially in DA2 which had less mod support.)

*sigh* I bought the lie.

I've been reading about what PoE was going to be like -- and here's the thing. They delivered. Sure I still have quibbles. I mentioned them in other threads. But all I can say is unlike Bio, I didn't feel any dramatic bait and switch. Granted, I was never a KS/backer. I'm just somebody who read about this project, and decided I would get it on release, and did. 

I was gonna put my 2 cents here but it looks like someone else already did :D QFT