how do you kill shadows and phantoms

Read the Bestiary to see their strengths and weaknesses.

They have low HP and are weak to fire damage, so if you do it right you can kill them quickly.

Shades can summon Shadows, keep that in mind.

• Like 1

Don't rush up with you melee characters, keep them close to the back, so when they jump to the back you can hit them immediately.

Also fire lash on weapons.

And the target the weakest one first, the fewer there are the easier it gets

• Like 1

Capture.jpg

Early on shades and ghosts are bad news, one cheesy tactic to take care of them is to equip a character with a ranged weapon and have the rest of the party stand some way off in a corner where its safe. once you shoot an enemy mob, they will only follow you for a certain distance before they return to their spot. So, shoot them, then run away from them, then when they disengage (and none of their buddies are still trying to get you) just shoot again.

Takes some time and is really cheesy, but it's helped me take out the ones at the stronghold with my party members only at lvl 2 (since i rush all the companions to get them at the lowest level possible, before the game can mess them up by auto distributing their skills and talents)

Also, in the black hound inn's 2nd level you can *possibly * find a nice mantle that reduces the amount of frost damage you take, making it a lot easier to take on shades/shadows.

i say possibly because it is randomized loot, so you might find some other item instead. i find that you have a good chance of the mantle spawning if you are character level 2 on entering the gilded vale town.

xosmi.gif

• 3 years later...

Read the Bestiary to see their strengths and weaknesses.

They have low HP and are weak to fire damage, so if you do it right you can kill them quickly.

Shades can summon Shadows, keep that in mind.

Yea well what about the first encounter? what about when you don't have the creature in your bestiary yet smart guy? we know the bestiary contains information, we're asking for when you first encounter it.

Also say you are going to hit them with a fire attack that gives an attack against a defense.  A lot are reflex defense for fire.  Like say example of fan of flames.  But if you attack with something first that makes reflex weaker then choosing the order to apply these effects rationally makes you more efficient.  So example I can't remember if 'daze' hurts reflex defense but if it does then apply daze first and then fan of flames rather than the reverse.  Note: fan of flames you can avoid some friendly fire with careful positioning.