Rate PoE!  

209 members have voted

1. 1. How good you think PoE is?

• 1/5: This game SUCKS. It has no redeeming value.
    • 2/5: The game's flaws are severe, but it has a little merit.
    • 3/5: The game is decent. It's not good, but not bad.
    • 4/5: The game is good. A few flaws, but an enjoyable experience.
    • 5/5: Super awesome game OMG! I love PoE!

Despite minor flaws, I'd rate it nearer 5 than 4.

Can definitely see multiple playthroughs happening.  I enjoy the combat, the story, the roleplaying, the  atmosphere, etc.

A solid 4.8 out of 5 (probably to increase after some bug-fixing, and maybe better balancing the levelling rate).

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Wasted potential. Firmly 3/5. Not terrible, but supremely wasted potential. Unfortunately, the potential was wasted or missed where it mattered most.

• Terrible "soft-counter" philosophy, design, and implementation. An extraordinary amount of ramifications are felt from this.
  • Lives firmly within the shadow of D&D. There is no reason for this. Arcanum had no such faults.
  • Terrible fragmented class design. A symptom of both of the above. With PoE's attribute system and inclusion of talents, this was screaming to be classes.
  • Engagement handled in the exact opposite manner that it should have been (free attack, bonuses,etc.).

The quality of the plot, writing, and companions can be argued, but these are not what mattered. We've had games deliver quality in these departments. It was combat and its recovery from the MMO scourge that was in such dire need. Unfortunately, MMO scourge is what PoE epitomized. At least the art, music, and "choose-your-adventure" bits were nice.

Edited by Mr. Magniloquent
  • Like 1

I am enjoying the game, but I just ran into the max experience level part way through act III with a large amount of side quests left.  Now, I am not sure I will bother finishing, as I can no longer gain anything.  no more than a high 2/low 3

3/5

Combat makes me never want to play it again though

Wait for the expansion to come out.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

4/5 from me. Very good game. Has many flaws, but most of them had little impact on my actual game experience. Not that I won't keep pointing them out (especially the systemic issues that will become much worse in the sequel like Might's lack of scaling and the issues with the XP curve) because I'm interested in game design from a hobbyist's point of view and I want PoE to be the best that it can be... but it's a good game nonetheless.

When most of the reported bugs are fixed I would probably rate it higher then a 2. But, I just haven't been able to make it more then 5-6 hours before I encounter some bug, so a 2/5 it is for now because the game is incomplete. I think 1.04 fixed some of the stuff, but I still see a forum full of technical issues...so hoping 1.05 I can play. The loading time increases as the game progresses kind of worries me, hopefully this is addressed in 1.05. Anyways, GTA V until they patch it up to my liking.

I hate arbitrary number rating systems.

As always there are aspects I enjoy, and some things I think need improvement, but overall I would recommend this game to anyone who is a fan of the early Baldur's Gate series or tactical games in general. 

• Like 1

(haters gonna hate)

Unfortunately, 2/5.

Writing: ranges from average to mediocre, never really managing to stand out. It has a few decent/good moments, but they get overshadowed by the average-ness of the whole. Companions are forgettable (GM has a few "ooooooh" moments and Eder has a couple, but they're too scarce and spread over too much "nothing" to be noticeable).

Main Plot: again, it failed to get me hooked up with what's going on. Being a "Watcher" could/should have been made more central and dramatic, IMHO.

Quests: similarly, quests are never really engrossing, and soon felt just like "flavouring" or "filler" ("chores"). Many of them also feel really "disconnected" from the main plot, and most of them have little-to-no influence on how the world reacts to the PC and their actions.

Gameplay: too much filler combat, unrewarding exploration, small areas. Caves are sort of copypaste. Endless Path is utterly pointless/irrelevant, and so is the whole Stronghold. Reaching the level cap halfway through act 3 left me a bit bummed (not because of the loss of future XP, which I don't really care much for), but it gave me a false feeling of "completion" ("omg what do I with my life now?") and sort of stopped my progression short, whereas the game still had a whole act and a half to go through. Some classes could use some balancing, and so could the attributes system. Itemization is abysmal, the "economy" is risible (I am currently sitting at over 100k and can't find a single way to spend it). Conversation skill/race/talent/attribute checks are also heavily biased towards some, while others are almost entirely ignored. Stealth is not really viable. Skills need a major facelift: as it is, the only worth ones are athletics and mechanics (and maybe a few points in lore, just for dialogue checks), while the rest are absolutely useless.

Combat: gets boring fast, and becomes really un-challenging after the player levels up a few times, thus feeling more like a chore that's in the way of enjoying the plot. Encounters need revamping, mobs and party alike need a hint of an AI. Considering the game is clearly focused on combat, and that there's so much of it, I would have expected some more care to be put into this aspect of the game (both in terms of core mechanics,

Game World: a lot of effort has been put into creating an original world, and yet not much effort has been put into easing the player into it. Every other NPC will try giving you a history lesson, no matter what. There is a lot of lore lying around, which I enjoyed reading, but that also contributed to the feeling of just being "infodump'd" on.

GFX: outstanding. The game looks pretty, the visual design is neat and fitting and there are no complaints whatsoever in this respect.

SFX: the voice acting goes from meh to ok-ish, but what I enjoyed is the really really good soundtrack. I love the soundtrack.

Overall: the game is not "horrible", but the sum of its parts is so "averagely inglorious" that it can't make up for the game's shortcomings.

• Like 1

I’m selling these fine leather jackets.

4.5/5 once the first week bugs were fixed. I didn't experience any bugs in my playthrough after that patch aside from a couple item icons still being "?"

I really loved the companions voice acting and stories and how they relate to the wider world (though I didn't like 2 of them but the others were great) and I enjoyed the main story once I started understanding it further into the game. The art was very good

I was never a fan of RTWP combat and PoE was the best implementation yet for me even with the pathfinding ****tiness etc. I still didn't love the combat but at least I didn't mind getting into it this time

I think the biggest let down was the stronghold. If they make a 2nd they should just leave out a Stronghold unless they completely overhaul how it works

The game has lots of little problems but I was enjoying every minute of a long playthrough so I don't see how I could give it a lower score. I liked it more than BG/IWD but less than PST/Arcanum so I got my moneys worth from the Kickstarter and that's what I wanted!

Edited by Bli1942

To me the game is superb. Does it have flaws? Of course. But what doesn't? I don't rate it based on any good-and-bad ratio, but on the amount of joy it brought me and that's a 5/5. Perfection is an illusion, so no point in expecting the game to be flawless

• Like 1

To me the game is superb. Does it have flaws? Of course. But what doesn't? I don't rate it based on any good-and-bad ratio, but on the amount of joy it brought me and that's a 5/5. Perfection is an illusion, so no point in expecting the game to be flawless

I couldn't agree more. :)

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I gave it a five rating.  Although there are things I feel could be improved it is an awesome game and I love it.  Little details are important to me and they are there in so many different ways.  Playing this dark game is simple wonderful.  OE met my expectations and then more.

• Like 1

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

4 / 5. I would've preferred saying 8/10 or 86/100, but alright.

I understand 86/100, but how's 4/5 different from 8/10? :D

4/5 is just one step away from a full score, while 8/10 is two steps away from a full score. It's a feelings thing more than anything rational, really. That's also why I'd prefer 86/100, because 86 shows that it's on the higher end of the 8. I was fighting with myself for quite some time whether it should be 84 or 86. :lol:

I decided 86, because of the future potential of the game, rather than 84, which is what I felt would probably be the most honest right now.

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg