Rate PoE!  

209 members have voted

1. 1. How good you think PoE is?

• 1/5: This game SUCKS. It has no redeeming value.
    • 2/5: The game's flaws are severe, but it has a little merit.
    • 3/5: The game is decent. It's not good, but not bad.
    • 4/5: The game is good. A few flaws, but an enjoyable experience.
    • 5/5: Super awesome game OMG! I love PoE!

I voted 3/5. I enjoyed it at least in the beginning. By act 3 it started to drag on me, I will have to take a break to find motivation to finish it.

The same happened with Divinity: Original Sin, so it's hard to say which one is better in my book. While the combat system is way better in D:OS, the story and the universe are getting a lot worse after Ciseal, to the point of being boring, so I didn't finish it either.

I am still waiting for a lore explanation about bathrooms. Does creatures in Eora take a dump at all? Are there any toilets in the world or do people take a dump in the rivers like in India? The rivers looked too clean though and if we keep it in our infinite inventory we should have the ability to use it to attack enemies...

Edited by barakav

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!

I am still waiting for a lore explanation about bathrooms. Does creatures in Eora take a dump at all? Are there any toilets in the world or do people take a dump in the rivers like in India? The rivers looked too clean though and if we keep it in our infinite inventory we should have the ability to use it to attack enemies...

It's medieval times, toilets not invented yet...

Or it's magic

Capture.jpg

It is the Renaissance since there are guns so they should have had toilets in this era.

And magic is rare enough so only a few can use it. 

It's an awful hole in the games' lore that breaks my immersion.

Edited by barakav

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

Well i could find some minor flaws if i wanted (the lack of random encounters or lack of good puzzles for instance and these are one of those small important things which i really miss from baldur's gates), but PoE is more than i hoped when I orginally backed it. Obsidian delivered a classic rpg which I'm sure play again and again. The setting is just wonderfull and it really drew me in right from the intro.  And the best part is that they will likely develop even more eternity titles in the future, so things couldn't be better.

To even play this kind of rpg is a dream come true for me. Before kickstarter these kind of rpgs didn't seem to have any future. The Dragon age orgins was the last game which followed this classic baldur's gate tradition and it was developed by the old bioware before EA.  So i wasn't really holding my breath and expecting ever to experience a game like baldur's gate. Real time combat with pause, party based, isometric infinity engine type, inspiried by older versions of d&d... Nobody was doing these kind of rpgs anymore, untill Obsidian threw their wonderfull pitch.

Is PoE perfect? Well nothing in life is objectively perfect. So while PoE has some flaws, the good aspects totally outweigh those small mistakes or shortcomings. Just like baldur's gates back in the day. They weren't perfect games objectively, but the end result was greater than the sum of its parts.

Now i have to underline that I still expect Obsdian to fix bugs and other remaining issues. I'm somewhat dissapointed that so many nasty bugs had slipped through their Q&A even with backer beta, but thankfully they have been really fast and good fixing them.

Anyhow this is why I voted 5/5. This doesn't mean that I would not notice some shortcomings or bugs, but at the end of day PoE is just one of the most enjoyable games i've played in many years. And that is what counts :)

Edited by Carados
  • Like 1

Double post

Edited by barakav

Okay,how about they never drink water?

You can eat, for buffs, but I never did.

So no need for loos? ;)

Agree but if I eat something I want to have the feces in my inventory so I could use it like in SP:TSOT or NWN2:MOTB where you can throw poop at your enemies.

why, does IE Mod remove the  Engagement fight mechanics ?

It does. But AI continues to act as if it's there, so personally I don't get the point of this removal. Aside from easy kiting for player party.

Engagement doesn't really do much to prevent kiting, as demonstrated by Sensuki during the backer beta (link), as well as by this other, more recent video. The same applies to the recovery penalty while moving, which was added for that very purpose by the dev's own admission and which thankfully the IE mod removes.

That said, I play with no engagement because I want to be able to move my squishies away from trouble when spectres teleport or fampyrs target them. The whole purpose of moving away is to avoid their getting damage and a disengagement attack would defeat it entirely; the DPS my wizard won't be causing while busy moving away is enough of a penalty in my book.

(and to think I don't move in combat half as much as most anti-engagement advocates!)

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Good game. Far from perfect but I enjoyed it. Franchise has potential but a lot of work still to go. Itemization and encounters were below what I was hoping for but those can easily be improved upon in the future.

4/5

Edited by Valmy

Engagement doesn't really do much to prevent kiting, as demonstrated by Sensuki during the backer beta (link), as well as by this other, more recent video. The same applies to the recovery penalty while moving, which was added for that very purpose by the dev's own admission and which thankfully the IE mod removes.

That said, I play with no engagement because I want to be able to move my squishies away from trouble when spectres teleport or fampyrs target them. The whole purpose of moving away is to avoid their getting damage and a disengagement attack would defeat it entirely; the DPS my wizard won't be causing while busy moving away is enough of a penalty in my book.

(and to think I don't move in combat half as much as most anti-engagement advocates!)

*shrug*

Yeah, I've seen those videos. Still cannot understand the way in which obvious issue of an AI somehow leads to conclusion about engagement mechanics not doing its job and thus being useless. Maybe if char in second video waited till he actually got engaged he could see for himself whether engagement prevents kiting or not.

That said, I'm not advocating engagement here, I just don't mind it there as well as wouldn't mind its absence. You just play it the way you like, mate :)

• Like 1

At present, the weighted mean score is 4.1.

I gave it a 4/5, but some fine tuning can easily push it to a 5. If we were just grading on enjoyment, I'd have chosen 5.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

5/5.

Terrific setting, good writing and story, fantastic music, some memorable characters and let's not forget the classic gameplay. Of course there are some flaws, but for me the flaws do not outweigh the greatness. I hope Obsidian continues on with the world of Eora and continues building on this title (instead of getting some money and contracting out to larger projects for big names like they did in the past).

Solid game, lets keep it going!

I'd go for 4.5 but that not being an option, maths say that I must round up to 5. Which is ok to me because clocking more than 140 hours with it in the first weeks is a good sign in my book. :yes:

Some more patches (as needed) to fix what's broken, improve some of the stuff and then for "Wheel of the Betrayer" or "Storms of Adra" or "Champions of the Vailian Republics" or ... whatever name for the expansion.  :dancing:

4/5. Not a perfect game, with flaws, but I like it.

The lost point include (personal opinion mostly ) :

-terrible pathfinding (it will probably be fixed, no big deal)

-some companions are lacking in unique content.

-no romance. I'm talking good ones, ala BG2/jade empire, not DA2. Not a big deal either, but I would have enjoyed it.

-the stronghold is pretty much useless. From the people who made NWN2 stronghold, I expected something better.

-level cap is way too soon. Also, more way to "upgrade" your characters, like the prestige class in D&D, would have been appreciated. Something you can say "it's built MY way".

Still an amazing game, and I hope it will grow more and more with the expansions. Just like BG grew.

5/5 - not because I think that PoE is somehow perfect or even near perfect or that I don't find some of it features off putting or needing fixing, but it is game which Beta and Final versions have hold my attention over 200 hours, which means that it is good enough for me to enjoy it quite lot and therefore it's fair to give it full five stars.

• Like 1

solid 4/5 here. Great game, albeit having some flaws here and there, and even those i'm certain will get ironed out in future patches.

That said, it's not the cRPG to end all cRPG's, but obsidian never claimed it was going to be in the first place.

To me, it's just the right amount of nostalgia as a throwback to the infinity engine games, but also a good game that can hold up on its own merits.

xosmi.gif

I voted 4, but I'd give it 4.5 if I could, with the potential to be a pure 5 for PoE2 with some adjustments to a few things, most specifically combat.  But there are solid 5 aspects in PoE1 too.  The artwork is brilliant.  The writing is mostly great.  Much of the music is fantastic.  Voice acting ranges from good to great.  So there's a really solid foundation here, just needs some adjustments to a few areas.

Even with its warts, I can't think of a better RPG that's come out in the last 10 years.  Imperfect it surely is, but it still beats anything else that's semi-recent.