Is it hard work / time consuming - to create more godlike heads?

I'm wondering if it takes considerable resources, skill or time to create the godlike heads.

The reason is that my vanity are locking me out from playing certain godlike races. We could really need some more options for godlikes as 3 for each does not grant enough options imo. 

I'm not a game designer so I'm not sure if this is a reasonable request?

• Like 1

I've found in their pipeline everything moves at island speed. Thing's that should have been doable in a week were taking several weeks to do. Not blaming anyone, but it was like this across the board. Even generic walking animations early on that shipped with unity for free were better than the one's they were using for example up until like 1-2 months before release. But I think it was only one guy doing the head's and several other things, so he has to pick his battles.

I've found in their pipeline everything moves at island speed. Thing's that should have been doable in a week were taking several weeks to do. Not blaming anyone, but it was like this across the board. Even generic walking animations early on that shipped with unity for free were better than the one's they were using for example up until like 1-2 months before release. But I think it was only one guy doing the head's and several other things, so he has to pick his battles.

I recall an interview where they said they had basicly only 12 permanent members sitting on this game.

From those 12, we have basicly confirmed 2 2d-artists, a project leader, 2 dedicated writers and at least 3 programmers. There's literally not much room left for 3D artists that weren't busy with the area design.

I'm actually amazed at how good the game looks given the budget.

Edited by Zwiebelchen
  • Like 2

I hate to beat a dead horse, but some official modding support could really help here. People do this stuff for games they like, sometimes at a professional level of quality.

I don't know that the fanbase is actually large enough to do this, but hypothetically, they could even host contests to expand some resources semi-officially.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Godlike heads are semi-difficult, but not a huge ordeal. 3rd party Godlike heads would be cool, but there would be difficulty in getting them exported for all races - right now Godlike heads are dynamically adjusted and exported for each race, but this is not done in-engine, it is done with our Maya rig and our tools handle pumping out FBX's to all races. Otherwise someone would have to do that manually (which is a bitch), or not allow new Godlike heads on anything other than humans. Someone with solid knowledge of Maya could do it just fine though. 

We would love to make more Godlike heads. The original plan called for more Godlike races and head variants, but reality being what it is, we could only do what we could get into the game given the time. I'm sorry to say their implementation is a bit too barebones from what I originally intended, if Eternity 2 rolls around expect much cooler stuff done with Godlikes. 

• Like 15

Godlike heads are semi-difficult, but not a huge ordeal. 3rd party Godlike heads would be cool, but there would be difficulty in getting them exported for all races - right now Godlike heads are dynamically adjusted and exported for each race, but this is not done in-engine, it is done with our Maya rig and our tools handle pumping out FBX's to all races. Otherwise someone would have to do that manually (which is a bitch), or not allow new Godlike heads on anything other than humans. Someone with solid knowledge of Maya could do it just fine though. 

We would love to make more Godlike heads. The original plan called for more Godlike races and head variants, but reality being what it is, we could only do what we could get into the game given the time. I'm sorry to say their implementation is a bit too barebones from what I originally intended, if Eternity 2 rolls around expect much cooler stuff done with Godlikes. 

But let's not forget the important questions here, like "What god created Naturelikes?", "Are Deathlikes of Berath or Rymrgand?" and "What does a Godlike of Eothas look like?".

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 2

t50aJUd.jpg

Thanks for answering Dimitri :)

Out of curiosity. If time was not an issue, what would have been your next godlike choice to add?

Luckmann - Yeah, those are good points. A further breakdown of each of the Godlike races is a good idea.  Even with something like "Naturelike" the possibilities are almost endless, we barely scratched the surface. Hopefully we'll be able to really expand on that. 

Ouroboros - Hmm I'm honestly not sure, that is a question for Josh, he had a list that he whittled down to what we have. Pallegina is an avian-type that would be neat as playable race, but it's not necessarily one we'd make next. More importantly budget and technology have to be considered. We had concepted out "Air" elemental-types, those would have been cool, but more difficult to create. At the time our tech did not support what's necessary to do them, but some tech is going into PX1 that would actually allow for that. 

• Like 3

I'm wondering if it takes considerable resources, skill or time to create the godlike heads.

The reason is that my vanity are locking me out from playing certain godlike races. We could really need some more options for godlikes as 3 for each does not grant enough options imo. 

I'm not a game designer so I'm not sure if this is a reasonable request?

It's actually a lot of fun to try and do so, too bad the game isn't mod friendly.

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

Luckmann - Yeah, those are good points. A further breakdown of each of the Godlike races is a good idea.  Even with something like "Naturelike" the possibilities are almost endless, we barely scratched the surface. Hopefully we'll be able to really expand on that. 

[...]

But... those weren't points, they were questions! :lol:

t50aJUd.jpg

More godlike races ? Doesn't it, like contradict the lore book directly ? Maybe designers don't read them.

How?

It does if you're being particular about semantics.

Which means that for most purposes, it doesn't.

• Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.