Hey all,

So I finished the game on Hard with a party of the game's narrative characters, during which I steadfastly resisted the urge to delete and re-create my main character over and over trying to get it "perfect".

Now I'm going for a solo PoTD run, and fully indulging my character min-max tendencies. I've been testing builds by running them over to the two wolves in the starting area and attempting to solo them while just wearing clothes (no armor) to try and evaluate their performance without gear as a factor.

I realize this doesn't take into account a build's future potential at higher levels or with best in slot gear (I imagine wizards past L9 become killing machines, for instance) but I'm having a lot of fun regardless.

I've been fighting the two-wolf encounter ten times with each build, to help rule out RNG as a factor. So far the only builds which have won 10/10 times are:

Fire Godlike Monk with 18 Mig, 18 Con, 18 Dex, 17 Res

Fire Godlike Fighter with 18 Mig, 18 Con, 17 Per, 17 Res

One build also managed 9/1 (9 wins in a row with one loss right at the end):

Fire Godlike Chanter 3 Mig, 19 Con, 10 Dex, 18 Per, 10 Int, 18 Res 

The Fire Godlike racial seems dominant with gear removed, providing DR and retaliation the character otherwise lacks. Monk destroys both wolves quickly with dual-fists torment's reach with about 35-40 health lost at the end of the fight, while the fighter takes longer and relies on Fire Godlike DR in combination with Constant Recovery, losing about 60-70 health by the end of the fight.

Interestingly the Wild Orlan Chanter max-defenses build failed this test, getting 7 wins and 3 losses Vs the wolves (18 Con, 20 Per and Res, the rest in Int). Even with the highest possible starting deflection the wolves still hit regularly enough to kill the Orlan before he can summon a Phantom unless RNG favors the PC. With Fire Godlike the story changed, the -4 deflection from not going Orlan more than made up for by the DR4. The Fire Godlike build lost on average 36 health per fight, similar to the Monk's performance, but with a lower Endurance pool this build wasn't quite as assured of victory.

Also of interest is that Moon Godlike performed worse than Fire in every test. I've run Moon variants of every winning Fire build, and the result is much more health damage taken (to be expected, as we're trading DR for Healing) as well as losing 3-4 battles from every set of 10. Maxing out the Might of the builds to buff Moon Godlike healing helps, but still doesn't provide the same durability as Fire DR.

Edited by Squibsallotl
  • Like 1

Edited first post again, Fire Godlike chanter went 9/1.

Tried Fire and Moon Godlike Priests, Wizards, Druids, Ciphers, Paladins and Rogues (with very aggressive stat arrays to try to burn the wolves down, or very defensive arrays to try and outlast them, and compromises between the two) and none did better than about 7/3.

Conclusion: For level 1 at least, it seems to be a three horse race between Monk, Fighter and Chanter, with Fire Godlike the dominant race option.

At first level your stats have a massive effect on your build while at higher levels your talents and abilities define how well you do.

At first level con 18 compared to con 10 or even 8 is huge. At level ten the difference is much smaller.

At level one Might is the only damage add, at high levels it is only one of many.

Testing without any armor also skews the results to favor fire godlikes as they'd be the only ones who get any DR which is required for any chance of survival in melee. Monks do well because as they generate wounds they get more damage output that is an AoE with a debuff.

Try it with brigandine at DR 10 or whatever it is. A moon godlike with 10 DR plus three heals will do better than a fire god at 10 DR that goes to 14 DR. Better yet try it with the bears who hit a lot harder than wolves.

Your winning stats have max damage, max hit points, and max deflection with minimum dex and int. The reason is at first level your accuracy is bad so you need luck to hit, better to get lucky with a big swing than to try and get lucky multiple times with weak swings but faster. With no armor your only defense is hit points and deflection, if you minimize the number of times you get hit combined with the ability to take more hits is going to be a winner. Monk fists do average speed weapon damage at the speed of fast weapons, you need weapons with lash to slightly out do monk fists.

I don't think that the winning tactic at level one is going to get you very far into the game trying to solo PotD. I have a party on PotD as I have never tried to solo. If I were to I'd use the companions through the tutorial until I got to the machine and the cutscene with Thanos.

Solo PoTD is, unlike party adventure, not about stats and up to certain extent nor about talents because  its impossible to overpower PotD solo as encounters were not designed nor balanced for it. What is more important is to know the game well. Mechanics, enemies, quests, environment, locations of items etc and unconventional approaches because its unconventional adventure.

Edited by knownastherat

Edited first post again, Fire Godlike chanter went 9/1.

Tried Fire and Moon Godlike Priests, Wizards, Druids, Ciphers, Paladins and Rogues (with very aggressive stat arrays to try to burn the wolves down, or very defensive arrays to try and outlast them, and compromises between the two) and none did better than about 7/3.

Conclusion: For level 1 at least, it seems to be a three horse race between Monk, Fighter and Chanter, with Fire Godlike the dominant race option.

You didn't try Fire Godlike Barbarian I see. Try him. In first levels his Frenzy (+4 Might and +4 CON and 1.33 faster attack) plus Fire God Like racial is Awesome in early levels. Of course after that it becomes even more nuke machine, providing best DPS against group of enemies.

At the beginning Barb lower Deflection means nothing really on PotD (everything will hit you regardless of starting Deflection) but his bigger Endurance pool, Battleforge retalition+ Carnage (more DPS against pack of enemies) plus 4 DR is super good early on. Grab after that his self heal and he is really good as Fire God Like.

There is not better race-class synergy in game than Fire Godlike Barbarian imo.

I win against wolfs no problem thanks to all those factors. Give it a go.

Cheers!

Edited by Voltron

@Voltron: The only reason I omitted him is my first playthrough PC was a Barbarian. I went Orlan for that run (I just liked the flavor of a tiny little angry man demolishing things), but I can see how Fire would be superb.

@KDubya and knownastherat: I know my testing method is very early-game centric, but that's kind of what I was going for. Mid to late game any class can do well with the right gear, figurines, scrolls, etc (as was shown by that PoTD solo Paladin video Vs the Sky Dragon). I'm going to take the Monk build and run with it for now, and see how it fares at Gilded Vale and beyond.

You know, you can cast tenuous grasp with a cipher and have wolves kill each other. If it misses, run away and try again. Works 10 times out of 10. Chanter with ANY race and stats can kite until he gets a phantom and then autowin with no health lost. Works 10 times out of 10. I can continue. Seems to me you're only testing straightforward facetank approaches (which are suboptimal and won't get you far solo with any class)

Edited by MadDemiurg

I managed to get TCS with a chanter that used this build:

I went for a Godlike Moon Chanter:
Strenght - 18
Endurance - 12
Dex - 3 + 1(GL) this stat is completely useless for a chanter
Perception - 6 you could go with 10 in endurance and 8 perception as well but it is not all that needed you will get reflex from weapon and shield style at level 4 anyway
Intelligence - 18+1(GL)
Resolve - 18 +1(Ixamitl plains)

Chants:
1. Come come soft winds of death.
1. Blessed was Wengridh, Quickest in his tribe
2. any chant will do until you get to level 9
3. The dragon thrashed, the dragon wailed. This chant is INSANE what you do is you assign this chant to the left most chant in your quick bar then activate and deactivate it every second using a quick command button.

Incantations:
1. But Reny Darets Ghost, he would not rest. - This is your main damage dealer until level 9
2. Trice she was wronged, and trice justly avenged. - Useful in some situations.
3. any incantation will do from that point on, but try to get at least one summon for each level.

Traits:
1. FAST RUNNER - extremely important trait for the chanter early game
2. Weapon and Shield style - Every solo or tank should get this early on.
3. Cautious Attack - Very useful for chanters since you don't really use your attack that much.