ok how do I do endless paths after finishing story?

It's weird how so many people feel the need to jump in and say the same thing.   (not really, it's actually predictable)

But in a game that has content like this, it's typical to have an aftergame where it's available.  No notification that said aftergame doesn't exist.

When I said 'odd design choice', I was being polite.  It's actually stupid. 

The game automatically saves right before the endgame (the point of no return). The save is clearly labeled as "PRE-ENDGAME". There is no issue.

Right, but who looks at names of autosaves? I didn't even know I had a save labeled "endgame" until I read your post. Of course, I knew that an IE-style game with ending slides and all would end with the main quest, so I did everything before jumping in the pit. That said, I think story-wise Pillars is well-suited for an open ending. Act 3 puts a lot of pressure on you, stopping Thaos should be the priority, but instead you do everything but chasing him: insignificant Twin Elms side quests, a bunch of bounties and a whole expedition to a giant dungeon. Uhm, the Master Below has been there for years, isn't it just a tad more important to save thousands of souls about to be sacrificed? I can go on an adventure when more pressing issues are taken care of. Admittedly, doing that would interfere with the ending slides.

Edited by Rosveen

It's weird how so many people feel the need to jump in and say the same thing. (not really, it's actually predictable)

But in a game that has content like this, it's typical to have an aftergame where it's available. No notification that said aftergame doesn't exist.

When I said 'odd design choice', I was being polite. It's actually stupid.

it is typical? Really?

Can you give an example of a similar game?

[...]

When I said 'odd design choice', I was being polite.  It's actually stupid. 

Not at all, it actually makes perfect sense. What is stupid is the whole "play after finishing the game"-concept. It's ridiculous into the extremes that you'd keep playing after all the effects of the game has taken effect. :lol:

t50aJUd.jpg

The game automatically saves right before the endgame (the point of no return). The save is clearly labeled as "PRE-ENDGAME". There is no issue.

Right, but who looks at names of autosaves? I didn't even know I had a save labeled "endgame" until I read your post. Of course, I knew that an IE-style game with ending slides and all would end with the main quest, so I did everything before jumping in the pit. That said, I think story-wise Pillars is well-suited for an open ending. Act 3 puts a lot of pressure on you, stopping Thaos should be the priority, but instead you do everything but chasing him: insignificant Twin Elms side quests, a bunch of bounties and a whole expedition to a giant dungeon. Uhm, the Master Below has been there for years, isn't it just a tad more important to save thousands of souls about to be sacrificed? I can go on an adventure when more pressing issues are taken care of. Admittedly, doing that would interfere with the ending slides.

Good point. So there actually is a reason to finish the main quest first.

Maybe the proper question is why don't you?  I sure do.

Maybe the proper question is why don't you?  I sure do.

Why? I'm genuinely curious, I don't see the benefit, especially in a game which doesn't allow us to name saves. I load the game through Continue 99% of time. I usually disable autosaves in games, I didn't in Pillars because it requires a mod, but even so, I don't pay attention to them. I made a manual save before the point of no return.

I checked my backup folder and the save is actually called "noreturnsave", not "pre-endgame".

The issue isn't that the Autosave is named, it's that there's no reason not to allow us to go back into the gameworld and finish up quests/loose ends after the final battle. 

Except that it would not work well with end sequences slides which many of those lose ends have effects. So letting you do them after you have seen them would be just remove lots of consequences from doing those things and of course world is changed quite lot when you finally get back on surface. So they would need to ignore events that happen in Dyrwood after you come out from Sun in Shadow and how people react in the fact that there isn't any more hollowborn children and maybe how some of them got their souls back or they would need to write quite lot more reactivity so that people can go see their handiwork.  Where we get in the actual point, they have decided to give you than PRE-ENDGAME save because they don't want you to travel in world that don't have any reactivity towards things that happened in Sun in Shadow and they don't have resources to spare to write such reactivity in the game.

You have to send me all your earthly possessions. That's how the PoE post game works. Send Namutree your money and objects of value to continue playing. It's in the manual. Did you even read it?

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

You have to send me all your earthly possessions. That's how the PoE post game works. Send Namutree your money and objects of value to continue playing. It's in the manual. Did you even read it?

Wait, I thought they patched that out? :p

Wait, I thought they patched that out? :p

Nope.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.