RPGCodex Review #1 - Hŵrpa Dwrp

The judging of Halrond as evil and his actions as non-legitimate has already been done by the developers; your job as the PC is just to decide the punishment (or lack there of in exchange for money).

Actually, this is a good point you've raised with judging Lord Halrond.

1. If you kill him, you lose reputation (with Defiance Bay).

2. If you black mail him and let him live, you lose reputation (with Defiance Bay).

3. If you let him go and act as nothing has happened, you gain reputation (with Defiance Bay).

I went with the third option. Who is my character to judge? And by that action I was rewarded.

I don't really pay much attention to the things you post

This is a lie. His posts consume you and drive your emotions. And everyone here sees that.

There will always be a band of (jealous) Sensuki haters, the lack of respect is par for the course with Internet forums unfortunately.

I don't really pay much attention to the things you post because all you do is gripe and whine, so I really have no idea if you specifically have made lots of references to BG2 and how this game should be more like that one.  Others have made such posts though.  A lot of them in fact.  As far as you go, I think you should just go find a game that you actually like, play that, and stop trying to ruin PoE for everyone else.  It's not healthy man.

How am I trying to ruin the game for everyone else?

I'm posting in this thread only, and on the RPGCodex. I am not trying to influence the game mechanics or balance in any way. Nor am I producing any anti-PE content elsewhere on the web.

As to why I am posting, well at the moment I don't have too much else to do and I'm pretty mad about how the game turned out.

Really? Please link me to where I said such a thing. Pretty sure I've re-iterated many times that I wanted reactive tactical combat (of which, this game doesn't have - it's mostly strategical and rote in nature) and I expressed disappointment about the plot & story which is a lot worse than most other Obsidian games I've played (save for perhaps the NWN2 OC, but even that didn't have such plot issues).

Also, to your above statement - I am posting in this thread because it's a thread about an RPG Codex review. I have not posted in any other thread recently, and don't plan to, so if you don't want to read my opinion - don't read this thread. Simple as that.

I don't really pay much attention to the things you post because all you do is gripe and whine, so I really have no idea if you specifically have made lots of references to BG2 and how this game should be more like that one. Others have made such posts though. A lot of them in fact. As far as you go, I think you should just go find a game that you actually like, play that, and stop trying to ruin PoE for everyone else. It's not healthy man.

Man, Sensuki has made countless contributions to the development of this game throughout the past two years. You should give him more respect than you do now. That said, looking at the overall tone of your posts in these and other sub forums you're not here to make a positive contribution. If you are, you might want to adjust your tone of speech in order for other people to take your message seriously.

I have no respect for someone who only wants to post negative garbage over and over on the PoE forums because his particular vision of the game wasn't realized.

I don't really pay much attention to the things you post because all you do is gripe and whine, so I really have no idea if you specifically have made lots of references to BG2 and how this game should be more like that one.  Others have made such posts though.  A lot of them in fact.  As far as you go, I think you should just go find a game that you actually like, play that, and stop trying to ruin PoE for everyone else.  It's not healthy man.

How am I trying to ruin the game for everyone else?

I'm posting in this thread only, and on the RPGCodex. I am not trying to influence the game mechanics or balance in any way. Nor am I producing any anti-PE content elsewhere on the web.

As to why I am posting, well at the moment I don't have too much else to do and I'm pretty mad about how the game turned out.

And again I say to you get over it.  I've had games that I had high hopes for that didn't turn out the way I wanted them to.  The difference is that I didn't go on those game's forums and spam it with pointless negativity day after day.  The game is never going to be what you wanted it to be.  Let it go.

I have no respect for someone who only wants to post negative garbage over and over discuss an RPG Codex review on the PoE forums because his particular vision of the game wasn't realized.

Fixed that for you.

I don't really pay much attention to the things you post

This is a lie. His posts consume you and drive your emotions. And everyone here sees that.

If you want to believe that I can't stop you, but I seriously don't even read his posts most the time because I already know what they say.  It's kind of sad really.  All the people who can't enjoy this game for whatever reason are some rather sad and bitter people as far as I can tell.  And why they continue to post here is beyond me.

And again I say to you get over it.  I've had games that I had high hopes for that didn't turn out the way I wanted them to.  The difference is that I didn't go on those game's forums and spam it with pointless negativity day after day.  The game is never going to be what you wanted it to be.  Let it go.

You fancy yourself an authority figure.... spouting orders to people, demanding that they stop posting and act more like you. How silly.

Hey Faux Moderator, I have a question. This thread reached the 500 post count limit quite a while ago. Why haven't closed it yet? Oh, that's right. I forgot, you're not a f*cking moderator. That's why.

Edited by Stun

I have no respect for someone who only wants to post negative garbage over and over discuss an RPG Codex review on the PoE forums because his particular vision of the game wasn't realized.

Fixed that for you.

Yes because it echoes your own hyper-negative views that you want to discuss ad nauseum for some reason. 

You wouldn't have to see these posts if you didn't read this thread :p Why do you continue to read it if you don't enjoy the thread content?

You see the irony in this post yes?

Oh and the reason is because I see you and others trying to poison the PoE well, actively trying to hurt its sales as far as I can tell, and I refuse to let you people have your little echo chamber of negativity.

You fancy yourself an authority figure.... spouting orders to people, demanding that they stop posting and act more like you. How silly.

Hey Faux Moderator, I have a question. This thread reached the 500 post count limit quite a while ago. Why haven't closed it yet? Oh, that's right. I forgot, you're not a f*cking moderator. That's why.

Nah, just giving advice.  Seriously, things in life don't turn out the way you want much of the time.  You can whine and bitch about it to no avail or you can move on with your life.  And to be clear I have no problem with people not liking the game, or even hating the game, but it's downright ridiculous to spam its forums with the same negativity over and over again. 

Edited by Atheosis

Oh and the reason is because I see you and others trying to poison the PoE well, actively trying to hurt its sales as far as I can tell, and I refuse to let you people have your little echo chamber of negativity.

lol

I'm pretty sure that people discussing a negative review on these forums won't affect PoE sales at all.

Obsidian/Paradox have their own marketing machine, they don't need us (customers/fans) to self-censor our critical discussions in order for them to succeed financially.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

lol

I'm pretty sure that people discussing a negative review on these forums won't affect PoE sales at all.

Obsidian/Paradox have their own marketing machine, they don't need us (customers/fans) to self-censor our critical discussions in order for them to succeed financially.

What marketing?  PoE has virtually none from what I've seen.

Yes because it echoes your own hyper-negative views that you want to discuss ad nauseum for some reason.

Poor ROI

Hahah, oh man. How old are you?

A bit of negativity on one forum and one thread of a different forum isn't going to do squat, plus I've already given the game a lot of positive exposure over the last two years, particularly around the release date with my character creation videos and contribution to the IE mod.

If I wanted to truly be 'harmful' (in a laughable way) I would remove my videos from the internet. Why would I bother doing that?

Edited by Sensuki

And to be clear I have no problem with people not liking the game, or even hating the game, but it's downright ridiculous to spam its forums with the same negativity over and over again. 

LOL.

New to the Obsidian Forums I see. What you're seeing with people being negative to the game isn't something new. There have been people critical of the design decisions over the last two years including myself.

Oh btw, welcome to the Obsidian forums. Get used to it.

Poor ROI

A bit of negativity on one forum and one thread of a different forum isn't going to do squat, plus I've already given the game a lot of positive exposure over the last two years, particularly around the release date with my character creation videos and contribution to the IE mod.

If I wanted to truly be 'harmful' (in a laughable way) I would remove my videos from the internet. Why would I bother doing that?

The better question is how old are you?  An adult would accept that things didn't work out the way they wanted and would get over it.

Edited by Atheosis

And to be clear I have no problem with people not liking the game, or even hating the game, but it's downright ridiculous to spam its forums with the same negativity over and over again. 

LOL.

New to the Obsidian Forums I see. What you're seeing with people being negative to the game isn't something new. There have been people critical of the design decisions over the last two years including myself.

Oh btw, welcome to the Obsidian forums. Get used to it.

Yeah, but I'm not new to forums in general.  This particular forum is full of a lot of grognards who need help though. 

Poor ROI

The better question is how old are you?  An adult would accept that things didn't work out the way they wanted and would get over it.

Is it that difficult to understand that people will be upset and forums are for discussing both negative and positive view points? There will be people "poisoning the POE well" for months to come and there's nothing you can do about it.

Edited by View619

"Maybe I should play IWD again".

Ladies and gents, the RPG Codex in a nutshell. Kinda obvious that the reviewer set out to hate the game, regardless of how legitimate some of his criticisms are.

What's wrong with wanting to play IWD again?

After finishing PoE, I too felt like wanting to play some IWD again, so I did.

And I think I understand Sensuki's criticism that PoE combat is "strategic but not tactical" better now.

Not that I would call IWD 'tactical' in the 'chess' sense, but the fights are definitely more reactive/dynamic in the sense that you often need to spontaneously react to what the enemies do in a significant way, and they to you.

Whereas most PoE battles tend to follow the same script/routine, once you have the 'strategic' choices (character builds, equipment, party formation) nailed down.

Also, incessant double- or triple-posting to boost post count.

Now that you mention it, Atheosis' posts do seem to almost always come in packs ;)

Edited by Ineth

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

I don't understand what is a problem here. This is not bitching and whining but poiting out valid issues with POE. 

If somebody already likes the game, I don't think that reading any review will change his/her mind. 

When I read such a review I can see that I am not the only one who can see its flaws.

What is good about this that maybe somebody from Obsidian will read this and maybe they will think how they can improve this game.

This is what a constructive criticism can lead to. 

Overally I didn't pay much attention to the development of POE.

I was pretty sure that Obsidian having so much experience and such a great team will be able to take what is best from the old IE games like BG2/Torment, improve or redone things that were badly designed and implement some new ideas. Finally adding new graphics on the top of that and you have a recipe for a great game.

Instead of that, they pretty much changed or removed many very good aspects of old IE game, redone whole system/class/combat system for the worst unfortunatelly. Took out some major functionalities from the game - combat stealth for example and many more.

I am just sad that I cannot fully enjoy this game at its current state because of some weird development decisions.

Once again I just hope that maybe something will change with future patches or maybe in expansion or POE2.  

• Like 1

From the Codex review:

Thus, when you inspect the attributes with this knowledge, it becomes very obvious what you can dump and not.

Is this nothing more than mad ranting? Or is it the friggin Truth?

Even before development of PoE began, Certain Developers from Obsidian were criticizing the attribute system in the IE games, accurately pointing out that those games had dump stats. They told us what we all already knew: that Every class can safely dump at least half of those stats without fear of crippling their builds. They Swore to fix this design flaw in PoE. They promised us No. More. Dump. Stats.

Fast forward to 2015. And what a surprise. A broken promise. There are indeed Dump stats in this game. The situation is no different than it was in the IE games. So why should PoE get a pass here? Why shouldn't we level the same criticism and scorn towards its attribute system?

Edited by Stun
  • Like 1

Fast forward to 2015. And what a surprise. A broken promise. There are indeed Dump stats in this game. The situation is no different than it was in the IE games. ....

Sorry, but this is not true and I guess you know it. In BG/BG2 you could dumb several stats with no or almost no negative effect, while in POE it does have a negative effect, while it can be viable because these points can be spend better.

And imo that's fine - otherwise every attribute could have the same value, why bother?

• Like 1