RPGCodex Review #1 - Hŵrpa Dwrp

I agree with reviewer that Blood Legacy quest resolution felt ideologically forced. I'd kindly ask devs to add ability to side with Lord Harond completely.

There's a couple of places that feels similarly forced. Like enforced modernism and 21st-century morality.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

I agree with reviewer that Blood Legacy quest resolution felt ideologically forced. I'd kindly ask devs to add ability to side with Lord Harond completely.

Dude. The guy

raped his niece to impregnate her and get himself an heir, and then effectively held her hostage and dragged her through the countryside under false pretenses waiting for the child to be born.

You can already choose to kill either, neither or both of them. Is that not enough choice?

Why would you need an option to pat the guy on the back for what he did.

Edited by Ineth

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

The game is not perfect but according to the review this would be a 1\10 rating, and it's clearly a butthurt review. 

However, nobody can't deny the major weak points (encounters, combat, xp balance, etc.), they have to be fixed because now, in his actual form, the game is such a waste of potential.

I guess that next patches, expansions and sequels will choose if this game is a fail or a success

Dude. The guy

raped his niece to impregnate her and get himself an heir, and then effectively held her hostage and dragged her through the countryside under false pretenses waiting for the child to be born.

You can already choose to kill either, neither or both of them. Is that not enough choice?

Role-playing. Maybe my character has no problem with it and would have done the same in similar circumstances? Waidwen's Legacy seems pretty serious, after all.

Edited by View619
  • Like 2

Dude. The guy

Role-playing. Maybe my character has no problem with it and would have done the same in similar circumstances? Waidwen's Legacy seems pretty serious, after all.

What Waidwen's legacy has to do with the case? It is not like

his nice

is only elf women in world, it is more question about his egoistic world view and need to keep it

family

. Of course your character still can accept his actions, but don't kid anyone that there is some seemingly rational moral justifications for his actions even in world of Eora

as he needs to hide his actions from other people and fears rumors of things that he has done and a god seems to think he should suffer because of his actions

Dude. The guy

Because I'm Eoran Gilles de Rais, and this guy is a noob compared to my achievements in my old family manor back in Old Vailia?

• Like 2

*sigh*

I don't like --> mediocre. You of all people...

Let's say it has RTwP combat designed below average level on all accounts and call it a day without jumping to conclusions about overall quality of the game? I don't want to sound ungrateful for all your really hard work and passion you poured into the beta, but you decided you don't like the game long before it was done.

No I didn't. Why on earth would I do that to myself intentionally?

you are probable correct, but poe is a cRPg.  those non-combat aspects o' gameplay are as much a part o' the game as is combat.

HA! Good Fun!

The primary conflict resolution in the game is combat, and there is a lot of it. The poor combat gameplay brings down any questing that includes combat in it, particularly for long stretches.

You spend a fair amount of the game in combat. The exploration gameplay is also crap, apart from looking at the for the most part pretty nice environment art.

The other thing I don't like is a lot of the writing - don't like the main plot, don't really like the Dyrwood (lore of it is fine but it's a very boring and unlikeable location in game), don't really care about any of the companions and none of the secondary characters really stood out either.

What does that leave? Character Creation? Leveling up? Lol

I am a power gamer. Role playing is nice and all (and a lot of it in this game is pure fluff anyway), but completely secondary to the rest of the gameplay for me. Games can have poor combat and still be good games (Witcher games for instance), but this one isn't.

Edited by Sensuki

Dude. The guy

Is it actually clear that he raped her? Might have been consensual - I don't think she'd necessarily mind being the mother of the next-in-line in the dynasty.

As the reviewer said, it's not so uncommon among nobles, and this is actually one of the points where I agree with him the most.

Edited by Rumpelstilskin
  • Like 2

From the review: "As for pulp philosophical themes, the only thing I can say here is that PoE’s lack of Chris Avellone’s major contribution (credited only as “additional writing”) shows, and it shows a lot. Avellone is a talented writer, and while obviously he’s not a second Hegel, he does have the penchant for creating compelling setups and questions. Meanwhile, each time PoE tries to go into ‘Tormenty’ territory, it falls flat on its face. Plato for Dummies is one example, but another good one is a question that is asked in the last 15 minutes of the game, which is probably supposed to be this game’s ‘what can change the nature of a man?’. It’s, ‘what if we can be assured of nothing?’ + 7 responses. Now, the writer must have thought that this was a doubleplusdeep philosophical dilemma, but was obviously unaware that this **** has already been answered 400 years ago by Rene Goddamn Descartes, making the question null and void. And you aren’t even given Descartes’ answer, either."

That happens when hubris meets lack of understanding. Descartes does not answer the question raised in PoE, because the question is related to the "no gods" plot, and not directly to the theory of cognition. So who is unaware here?

And even if he would be right - Descartes' answers are flawed as hell, as he should know.

I assume the reviewer is quite young - and a wannabe intellectual.

• Like 2

The force morality is what really annoyed me about the quest.  I wanted to preserve the girl's memories and bring her back to her "dad".  However, you were forced to send her away with that path.

*sigh*

I don't like --> mediocre. You of all people...

Let's say it has RTwP combat designed below average level on all accounts and call it a day without jumping to conclusions about overall quality of the game? I don't want to sound ungrateful for all your really hard work and passion you poured into the beta, but you decided you don't like the game long before it was done.

No I didn't. Why on earth would I do that to myself intentionally?

you are probable correct, but poe is a cRPg.  those non-combat aspects o' gameplay are as much a part o' the game as is combat.

HA! Good Fun!

The primary conflict resolution in the game is combat, and there is a lot of it. The poor combat gameplay brings down any questing that includes combat in it, particularly for long stretches.

You spend a fair amount of the game in combat. The exploration gameplay is also crap, apart from looking at the for the most part pretty nice environment art.

The other thing I don't like is a lot of the writing - don't like the main plot, don't really like the Dyrwood (lore of it is fine but it's a very boring and unlikeable location in game), don't really care about any of the companions and none of the secondary characters really stood out either.

I am a power gamer. Role playing is nice and all (and a lot of it in this game is pure fluff anyway), but completely secondary to the rest of the gameplay for me. Games can have poor combat and still be good games (Witcher games for instance), but this one isn't.

is curious.  you don't see the humor in explaining why you do not like role-play aspects in a role-play game?  kickstarter did stress that ps:t were as much an influence for the poe development as were iwd, so at least you should not be surprised that the developers and other players might have a more... expansive perspective regarding what constitutes gameplay in a crpg such as poe.  

well, thankfully role-play such as poe should and does allow for folks such as sensuki to satiate the squad-based tactical combat needs w/o all that unnecessary (?) filler.  the combat should be engaging, but let's not forget that combat is hardly the only gameplay in poe regardless o' your Opinion on the matter and in spite o' the stated kickstarter goals.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

is curious. you don't see the humor in explaining why you do not like role-play aspects in a role-play game?

I'm sorry but I'm not sure how you got 'do not like' out of 'is less of a priority than good combat'.

Edited by Sensuki

is curious. you don't see the humor in explaining why you do not like role-play aspects in a role-play game?

I'm sorry but I'm not sure how you got 'do not like' out of 'is less of a priority than good combat'.

*chuckle*

ignoring the somewhat over-the-top dismissive comments regarding poe role-play content, you didn't even include such as being gameplay. quibble if you will, but you are being a bit silly as poe is a rpg and it is ok for you to not like rp even so.  hell, monte carlo may make you a pen pal.  your attempts to explain actual reinforce illathid's observation:

"Well from what I've read of Sensuki's comments, combat is the only gameplay that really matters to him. As he says himself, he doesn't "LARP" [sic]. "

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Probably it would be hard for you to fairly judge the writing of the main plot and companion stories if you didn't finish the game, though. I liked the writing of the main plot and most of the companions, so I consider it a good game. In contrast I didn't like the writing in the Witcher games at all, so I am glad PoE is not written in that style.

Edited by keriana

Writing style is different from good content. The Witcher games don't have the plot issues and structural issues that this game does. They also have quite nice quest design.

Edited by Sensuki

Writing style is different from good content. The Witcher games don't have the plot issues and structural issues that this game does. They also have quite nice quest design.

No it does. the Witcher is the worst RPG I've ever played, and it's all due to the writting. You were probably distracted by the "plot." :p

97c.gif

Edited by illathid
  • Like 2

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

No it does. the Witcher is the worst RPG I've ever played, and it's all due to the writting.

ROFL? I'd like to hear about this

*chuckle*

ignoring the somewhat over-the-top dismissive comments regarding poe role-play content, you didn't even include such as being gameplay. quibble if you will, but you are being a bit silly as poe is a rpg and it is ok for you to not like rp even so.

I metagame absolutely everything.

Edited by Sensuki

I haven't read any post in this thread but I just have to say that for some reason I find it very amusing that you , *you* the  guy who literally spent hundreds of frigging hours helping to fix the bugs in the beta and improving this game ,hates it.

Thank you for doing such a fine job without getting payed for it for guys like me. :yes:

Thats all!

Edited by barakav
  • Like 2

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!

No it does. the Witcher is the worst RPG I've ever played, and it's all due to the writting.

I'll PM you. No need getting this thread even more off track...

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

won't comment further than to say that we quit on witcher early because of the writing as well.  maybe not worst crpg for us, but the writing were a bit immature... ironic as it were trying so/too hard to be mature and edgy.  

*shrug*

opinions, eh?

HA! Good Fun!

The first witcher is very mature and realistic ,of course in real life random females on the street are always happy to have sex with strangers after they have a short conversation with them and after they bring them a red scarf...

Edited by barakav
  • Like 3

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!

I'll PM you. No need getting this thread even more off track...

PM this too me as well. I want to see this as I also consider TW1 plot one of the best.