RPGCodex Review #1 - Hŵrpa Dwrp

Yep, said I enjoyed it.  Said that it was ultimately disappointing/not compelling enough to repeat.  Do I regret funding it for $150?  Not sure.  I don't feel like I got that much value out of it.  Would I have, in retrospect, been happy to buy it for $65?  That is more where I would value it.  It is worth buying and playing.  Some people might really love it and play it again and again.  But, I am not one of those people.  I actually HAVE bought BG, Kotor, and the Fallouts multiple times (because of losing game cds, or giving them to friends, or something like that).  I sincerely doubt I would do that for POE (even though it is a moot point, as it is now on my Steam account- yay, technology). 

What would I give POE?  A 85-88 out of a 100.  It is really solid.  It is fun to play.  But, I don't put it in the category of "elite cRPGs".  I put it just shy of that.  Could POE 2 break into that category?  I think that is a distinct possibility.  It SHOULD only get better.  But, I had been hoping it would manage to do the nearly impossible and do that the first time.  That I would spend the ensuing few years playing POE faithfully until the new one was released.  That won't be the case.  If they Kickstart POE 2, I will almost certainly fund it.  Will I dedicate $150 to it?  I doubt it.  This isn't hate, it's simply not being fully "won-over".

"1 is 1"

If you play a game for 100 hours you enjoyed. If you say otherwise you are lying. Not just to others but to yourself. :)

I discredited this nonsense pages ago.

If you don't have some masochist tendencies (and some argue that this also means that you enjoy playing the game) or get paid to play game and review it I will claim that it is non-sense to claim that there are nothing that you enjoy in game if you play it over 100 hours. It is just absurd to think that somebody would use their free time when they are free to do anything the like to do something that they don't like to do over 100 hours especially when there is no benefits from it. But maybe I just don't understand other people which is quite often the case.

• Like 2

If you play a game for 100 hours you enjoyed. If you say otherwise you are lying. Not just to others but to yourself. :)

If you don't have some masochist tendencies (and some argue that this also means that you enjoy playing the game) or get paid to play game and review it I will claim that it is non-sense to claim that there are nothing that you enjoy in game if you play it over 100 hours. It is just absurd to think that somebody would use their free time when they are free to do anything the like to do something that they don't like to do over 100 hours especially when there is no benefits from it. But maybe I just don't understand other people which is quite often the case.

I assure you scrotiemcb is correct. One of my friends is a fan of Daggerfall & Morrowind, when Oblivion came out he was beyond ecstatic. He played it for at least 100 hours. He didn't like it. I watched him play multiple times and having no fun at all. He kept playing in the hope that the game would get better. He didn't like Daggerfall at first either, but once he understood it he loved it. He's actually the one who got me into elderscolls.

He was hoping that Oblivion would be like Daggerfall; rough around the edges and not fun to the uninitiated, but great once you understand it. It wasn't like Daggerfall though. It just sucked (to him, I actually think it's good WITH MODS), and it just took a long time for him to accept it wasn't going to get any better.

Edited by Namutree
  • Like 3

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

L0L But no.

You sure told him off, Volo. :yes:

Meet Volourn. Get used to him.

Edited by Namutree
  • Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I assure you scrotiemcb is correct. One of my friends is a fan of Daggerfall & Morrowind, when Oblivion came out he was beyond ecstatic. He played it for at least 100 hours. He didn't like it. I watched him play multiple times and having no fun at all. He kept playing in the hope that the game would get better. He didn't like Daggerfall at first either, but once he understood it he loved it. He's actually the one who got me into elderscolls.

He was hoping that Oblivion would be like Daggerfall; rough around the edges and not fun to the uninitiated, but great once you understand it. It wasn't like Daggerfall though. It just sucked (to him, I actually think it's good WITH MODS), and it just took a long time for him to accept it wasn't going to get any better.

Yeah, I'm glad I quit when I did, hadn't been having fun for many hours. When you enjoy reading the content of a thread called "the writing in this game is average" better than actually progressing the story, there's something wrong.

This. Oblivion was the same for me. I was ecstatic. First time out of the starting dungeon, I almost cried at how beautiful it was. I've played it a lot. I've played it several times. I've tried again and again. I've had hundreds of mods on at once. I've run up and down the length and breadth of Cyrodiil.

I can not stand it. I have never finished it.

But I keep wanting to, because deep down there somewhere, I want there to be a good game. But there's not. And that makes me sad. It took me a very long time to finally put it away in disgust, and I'll probably never install it again.

t50aJUd.jpg

Oh, don't worry. I met Volo 15 years ago and he hasn't changed a bit so I just popped in to have a quick jab for old time's sake. ;)

Eh... to actually contribute something sort of on-topic, I think that both sides of the argument are correct in their own way.

Me, for instance, I played a hundred hours of Morrowind hoping it would finally become something I liked down the road. It just didn't. I also watched the entire run of Andromada hoping it would at some point find its way back to the cheesy but thoughtful goodness I loved during its first and a half seasons. It just never did, but I am like that. I like finishing TV shows and games that I started for some reason.

But I also know a good deal of people who don't. They stop watching a TV show once it goes bad and they stop playing a game they don't like even if it comes with recommendations and is part of a series they enjoyed without ever looking back. Every now and then I envy them.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Oh, don't worry. I met Volo 15 years ago and he hasn't changed a bit so I just popped in to have a quick jab for old time's sake. wink.png

Eh... to actually contribute something sort of on-topic, I think that both sides of the argument are correct in their own way.

Me, for instance, I played a hundred hours of Morrowind hoping it would finally become something I liked down the road. It just didn't. I also watched the entire run of Andromada hoping it would at some point find its way back to the cheesy but thoughtful goodness I loved during its first and a half seasons. It just never did, but I am like that. I like finishing TV shows and games that I started for some reason.

But I also know a good deal of people who don't. They stop watching a TV show once it goes bad and they stop playing a game they don't like even if it comes with recommendations and is part of a series they enjoyed without ever looking back. Every now and then I envy them.

I'm currently watching Star Trek: TNG with my GF, who has never seen it, and I'm kinda dreading when we get to Deep Space Nine. But I'm still going to watch it. Because.. it's part of the TNG-DS9-VOY series, dammit!

I quit Game of Thrones two seasons too late (stopped after season 3). What a horrible show, a disgrace to the book series.

I watched Season 1 and 2, then I started reading the books and have had no interest in the TV-series since.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

I quit Game of Thrones two seasons too late (stopped after season 3). What a horrible show, a disgrace to the book series.

I just wish GRRM would finish The Winds of Winter so I won't get spoilered to death next year. *dread*

I'm currently watching Star Trek: TNG with my GF, who has never seen it, and I'm kinda dreading when we get to Deep Space Nine. But I'm still going to watch it. Because.. it's part of the TNG-DS9-VOY series, dammit!

Really? I'd rather dread watching Voyager again. VOY never got past being mediocre even when it had seasons with fairly good episodes (e.g. 4 and 5) because there are a LOT of stinker episodes and it features the single worst Star Trek episode ever made: Threshold. Writing Janeway as if she's suffering from multiple personality disorder without anyone in Starfleet noticing didn't help either.

Say, what was the topic again? ;)

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I so don't understand people, why mash their heads against stonewall if they don't like it, are people so insane or what?

I liked quite lot Morrowind which is why I preordered copy of collector edition of Oblivion which I first found pretty and then I found it mechanics and world to be boring compared to Morrowind, but after couple hours I found play style that I liked and found things that I could enjoy in the game quite lot and at end I spent about 120 hours with the game and in my opinion it is good enough, but not nearly as good as Morrowind which I played over 300 hours and which I played with multiple characters. Of course in those 120 hours include Shivering Isles expansion which was actually much better than both expansion for Morrowind combined.

I for example haven't enjoyed Divinity: Original Sin that much and I have played it only 7 hours (beta and released version combined) and I also found Wasteland 2 become boring after while and stopped to play it in 59 hour mark (beta + released version combined) I have never even left from Arizona, because it becomes dull after your characters rise over certain level. I hope that those games get patches in future which allow me to enjoy them, but if not I probably will not play them again, even though I paid several hundreds of dollars to get them.

But as I said I probably just don't understand other people in this, which is often case with many subjects.

I just wish GRRM would finish The Winds of Winter so I won't get spoilered to death next year. *dread*

Really? I'd rather dread watching Voyager again. VOY never got past being mediocre even when it had seasons with fairly good episodes (e.g. 4 and 5) because there are a LOT of stinker episodes and it features the single worst Star Trek episode ever made: Threshold. Writing Janeway as if she's suffering from multiple personality disorder without anyone in Starfleet noticing didn't help either.

Say, what was the topic again? wink.png

I want to murder the "What about the Prime Directive?!"-"To hell with the Prime Directive!"-Janeway.

Worst. Captain. Ever.

They should've stuck to the idea to have Riker as the Captain of the Voyager. Imagine William Riker as the Starfleet Captain, and Tom Riker as the maquis Commander. The sad thing is that there wouldn't have been a story, because they would've been back in the Alpha Quadrant by the end of the second episode.

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 2

t50aJUd.jpg

I so don't understand people, why mash their heads against stonewall if they don't like it, are people so insane or what?

Because they think that maybe they don't understand the game yet. They think they'll come to understand and then appreciate the mechanics if they just play it enough. Truth is, sometimes that does happen. That was the case with me when I play BG for the first time. I hated the game at first, but I heard it was great from reliable sources so I stuck with it. It wasn't until about 20 hours into my play through that I actually began to enjoy myself. 

Today, it's one of my favorite games of all time.

Say, what was the topic again? wink.png

I want to murder the "What about the Prime Directive?!"-"To hell with the Prime Directive!"-Janeway.

Worst. Captain. Ever.

They should've stuck to the idea to have Riker as the Captain of the Voyager. 

Riker as captain. That would be awesome beyond belief.

I liked quite lot Morrowind which is why I preordered copy of collector edition of Oblivion which I first found pretty and then I found it mechanics and world to be boring compared to Morrowind, but after couple hours I found play style that I liked and found things that I could enjoy in the game quite lot and at end I spent about 120 hours with the game and in my opinion it is good enough, but not nearly as good as Morrowind which I played over 300 hours and which I played with multiple characters. Of course in those 120 hours include Shivering Isles expansion which was actually much better than both expansion for Morrowind combined.

I for example haven't enjoyed Divinity: Original Sin that much and I have played it only 7 hours (beta and released version combined) and I also found Wasteland 2 become boring after while and stopped to play it in 59 hour mark (beta + released version combined) I have never even left from Arizona, because it becomes dull after your characters rise over certain level. I hope that those games get patches in future which allow me to enjoy them, but if not I probably will not play them again, even though I paid several hundreds of dollars to get them.

But as I said I probably just don't understand other people in this, which is often case with many subjects.

Contributing factors:

• First stage of grief and loss; denial & isolation.
  • Post-purchase rationalization and buyers remorse.
  • Stockholm syndrome.

Riker as captain. That would be awesome beyond belief.

It would've been, wouldn't it? Q_Q

And Riker as both Captain and First Officer, now all they'd have to get rid of was Mr. Dong-Faced Jar-Jar and the show could actually have been insanely amazing.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

Because they think that maybe they don't understand the game yet. They think they'll come to understand and then appreciate the mechanics if they just play it enough. Truth is, sometimes that does happen. That was the case with me when I play BG for the first time. I hated the game at first, but I heard it was great from reliable sources so I stuck with it. It wasn't until about 20 hours into my play through that I actually began to enjoy myself. 

Today, it's one of my favorite games of all time.

I can see reason behind, your decision to continue, even though I wouldn't do same myself, but when it comes to playing over 100 hours of the game without finding it become enjoyable I would start to question persons sanity. But maybe I speak from place of privilege as I have been always able to own lots of games, so playing ones that i don't find enjoyable after couple hours of getting familiar with mechanics seems so not worthwhile thing to do.

Guest BugsVendor

This forum is so full of fan boys that just won't accept any critique.

Please note that in the summary of the review he states that it is not a "bad" game.

Yeah, it has some fun moments but it doesn't even compare to legendary titles.

Most of elements in this game are rushed at best. 

90% of encounters are copy paste. Unfortunately most of them even on PoD have no difficulty what so ever, like the Ooze crap.

There are no level puzzles. Door that accept an easily learned password doesn't count. Od Nua door with 3 stone keys that you gather before you even reach it...

The actual puzzle is in Eothas temple in act 1...

It goes on and on...

I'm sorry but the review is the painful truth about this game.

The reason behind the whole critique is that rpg games evolved a lot. Reviewer's expectations were for the game to be at least as good as best or even improving over them. Yet what we get is an average title. Considering all this talk about creativity without publisher's influence people's expectation were high. They didn't deliver. Sorry.

Edited by BugsVendor

Riker as captain. That would be awesome beyond belief.

It would've been, wouldn't it? Q_Q

And Riker as both Captain and First Officer, now all they'd have to get rid of was Mr. Dong-Faced Jar-Jar and the show could actually have been insanely amazing.

Jonathan Frakes is just awesome. He can tell 100 stupid story related puns and still be cool:

https://youtu.be/VAbQTekUCjM

Edited by Namutree

With that said, some IE games had long stretches. The Underdark and the kingdom of those shark-men I never remember in BG2 got tedious, so did Carceri and some optional areas in PS:T.

The shark people were total pushovers though (compared to what came before and after them). Unless your front-liners were unusually susceptible to stunning arrows, you could just roflstomp through most of that area with select all + click. In the Skaen temple, you have to play out the same "scouting + positioning + engaging + AoE bombarding" game again and again and again.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

This forum is so full of fan boys that just won't accept any critique.

Bullsh1t. Fresh from a bovine arse. This forum is full of people more than happy to call Obsidian out without behaving like a spoilt troll in the middle of an ADHD tantrum.

• Like 3

sonsofgygax.JPG