Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Class Build] Pillardin

Paladin Tank Class Build

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Kaylon

Kaylon

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1199 posts

That's awesome.

Why Dex 6? Unless I'm missing something, you could go Dex 4 and Perception 21, and still have enough Reflex.

Per isn't enough to put you over 170refl because you have no means to buff perception outside items.

gkathellar

gkathellar

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1994 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

That's awesome.

Why Dex 6? Unless I'm missing something, you could go Dex 4 and Perception 21, and still have enough Reflex.

Per isn't enough to put you over 170refl because you have no means to buff perception outside items.

Right, but you can shift a point from one to the other, can't you?

Kaylon

Kaylon

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1199 posts

That's awesome.

You can't add more points to perception because you were already at max. The only way to add mor reflex is through dex.

gkathellar

gkathellar

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1994 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

That's awesome.

You can't add more points to perception because you were already at max. The only way to add mor reflex is through dex.

Taking White That Wends for your culture would let you do it (sorry, should have said that from the start) - none of your other stats are maxed, so there's no reason not to. It's not a huge deal, but it would buy you a point of Deflection, I guess.

omgFIREBALLS

omgFIREBALLS

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 856 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

holy fk dem defenses

Kaylon

Kaylon

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1199 posts

That's awesome.

Taking White That Wends for your culture would let you do it (sorry, should have said that from the start) - none of your other stats are maxed, so there's no reason not to. It's not a huge deal, but it would buy you a point of Deflection, I guess.

Ah, you're right, I forgot I took +1res when I created him -  that would make +1defl.

jasonite

jasonite

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts

Hi all, new here, just bought the game a couple of days ago. I'm looking at creating a Paladin for my PC. I'm wanting him as a tank and also desire good dialogue options as well and am leaning toward Kaylon's build. I haven't mastered how all of the stats affect each other, but I have an idea for him, let me know how this sounds.

Making him a Wild Orlan, with adjusted 1st level stats of 15mig/18con/4dex/21per/3int/17res due to his White that Wends/Aristocrat. I'll probably make him a Shieldbearer. Is this still viable to get those 170+ defenses?

J

Kaigen42

Kaigen42

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Your combined Might/Con is a little low for hitting 170+. Just to double-check, though, are you playing on PotD difficulty level? Because it's not actually necessary to get your stats that high unless you are, since enemies get bonus Accuracy at that difficulty level.

If you are on PotD, consider going The Living Lands/Colonist to shift a point from Perception to Might and get a bonus to Survival. The build relies on high Survival to make all those food bonuses stretch, but there's little room for Survival-boosting gear, whereas you get a class bonus to Lore and one of the best armors in the game provides a +2 Lore bonus.

The tricky part about the max defenses build is that hitting the 170+ point in 3 out of 4 defenses requires leveraging a lot of specific pieces of gear and food and resting bonuses, which might be daunting for someone on their first playthrough. That being said, even if you fall short of that goal, you'll still be in excellent shape against anything short of the Adra Dragon.

jasonite

jasonite

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts

Your combined Might/Con is a little low for hitting 170+. Just to double-check, though, are you playing on PotD difficulty level? Because it's not actually necessary to get your stats that high unless you are, since enemies get bonus Accuracy at that difficulty level.

If you are on PotD, consider going The Living Lands/Colonist to shift a point from Perception to Might and get a bonus to Survival. The build relies on high Survival to make all those food bonuses stretch, but there's little room for Survival-boosting gear, whereas you get a class bonus to Lore and one of the best armors in the game provides a +2 Lore bonus.

The tricky part about the max defenses build is that hitting the 170+ point in 3 out of 4 defenses requires leveraging a lot of specific pieces of gear and food and resting bonuses, which might be daunting for someone on their first playthrough. That being said, even if you fall short of that goal, you'll still be in excellent shape against anything short of the Adra Dragon.

I'll be playing on normal difficulty, actually. I'm sure I won't need defenses that high on my playthrough. I guess I just want a solid Paladin/tank build. It is important that I have good dialogue choices as the PC, and I'm still a bit lost on which abilities and skills to invest in as I level. I like your suggestions, though I won't be playing a Darcozzi. What are some target defenses to hit on my difficulty? Any recommendations would be welcome.

J

Kaigen42

Kaigen42

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I seem to remember someone saying that enemy accuracy is boosted by +20 for PotD. If that's the case defenses up to 150+ should serve you just fine. Your high Perception and Resolve will give you plenty of good dialog choices, so no need to worry there. For skills, I'd suggest getting Athletics up to 4, then raising Lore and Survival more or less evenly, as they both unlock additional dialog options.

If you're going Shieldbearer, I'm a fan of picking up Lay on Hands and Shielding Touch as an early defense buff. Other people prefer Flames of Devotion and Shielding Flames, as that buffs deflection for your party, but it doesn't buff the Paladin, only allies, and I find Lay on Hands a more useful ability overall for a tank. On the other hand, if you're running with low Intellect, Lay on Hands may not be that useful after all, since its duration will be much shorter.

As for other abilities, the recent patch made auras a lot better and improved exhortations a bit, so the options aren't quite as dire as my OP suggests. Take whatever aura you like best, and consider picking up Sworn Enemy at level 5 and looking for a weapon with a good on-hit effect. Reviving Exhortation has been fixed (though I haven't had the chance to test it yet), so you can grab that at 7, and then everything that opens up at 9 is good, though with your specific build Righteous Soul might be the best option to compensate for that lower Will defense.

Kaylon

Kaylon

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1199 posts

In fact you don't need points in survival because you can kill the dragon in under 1min. For my first try I started killing first the minions before attacking the dragon and that's why I feared the buffs won't last long enough - however you don't need to do that (see my videos). The food buffs are needed only for the tough fights, it's not like you have to be buffed to the teeth all the time. If you play on normal with a party you don't even need that level of optimization.

Crucis

Crucis

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1492 posts

In fact you don't need points in survival because you can kill the dragon in under 1min. For my first try I started killing first the minions before attacking the dragon and that's why I feared the buffs won't last long enough - however you don't need to do that (see my videos). The food buffs are needed only for the tough fights, it's not like you have to be buffed to the teeth all the time. If you play on normal with a party you don't even need that level of optimization.

While I would never say that the Survival skill is critical, if you have a character who doesn't really need most of the other skills, points spent on Survival aren't wasted.  Extending the duration of short-ish duration combat potions is worthwhile, particularly if you get your survival up high enough to get a 30% or higher boost.

Of course, I will say that on Normal mode, one can get by without any potions, outside of healing ones.  I will say that the Arcane Accuracy (?) potion is a great one for Ranged Rogues, particularly late in the game if you're trying to use a Finishing Blow attack on a high level boss enemy.  Nothing like increasing the chance that you'll hit, or even better get a crit on that sort of attack!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Paladin, Tank, Class Build

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users