on a dps character (high might, middle/low con) it basically doubles ur endurance, every fight. the thing is so good that I've had dps chars w/ 10 con die permanently due to health(from full health) loss just because they were standing around a bunch of other moon godlikes. not that I mind too much because its nice to not use priests, but I mean damn son.

A better question is: how do you justify having a party of 6 godlikes ? For all I know there is one (1) godlike character in the game that wasn't created by a backer.

Godlikes are just meant to be more powerful by design.

seems unlikely since nature and death are more or less ass. fire is cool but usually in a pretty specific build sorta way since it can't beat out orlan for tanking in a party(imo).

I mean I know balance isnt that big an issue, but it is a pretty yawning gap to give one race double the endurance every fight, and have it come in the form of an aoe and have that aoe be instant, non-interruptable, and cast during any action.

A better question is: how do you justify having a party of 6 godlikes ? For all I know there is one (1) godlike character in the game that wasn't created by a backer.

seems unlikely since nature and death are more or less ass. fire is cool but usually in a pretty specific build sorta way since it can't beat out orlan for tanking in a party(imo).

Nature and Death aren't supposed to be ass, it's just that they're complete and utter failures of design.

• Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

You don't. It's just one of the failings of the 'make-multiple-PCs-and-call-them-a-companions inn imo'. The idea of which (for me) is just them being lazy and going 'We created 6 companions with stories, but now I am tired. Lets give the playerss the tools to create generic companions for their party and call it a day!'. And it's not like the cost of creating a companion would have been very high and thus the few we got - they rarely interact with the world so I can't imagine giving them a backstory and stuff being so hard for a writer to do...

...but good to know about the moon godlike....I didn't realize their self heal was good enough to replace a priest. Now maybe I could create non healer PC and not having to suffer the Dunce (or was it Durance....) in the party:)

You don't. It's just one of the failings of the 'make-multiple-PCs-and-call-them-a-companions inn imo'. The idea of which (for me) is just them being lazy and going 'We created 6 companions with stories, but now I am tired. Lets give the playerss the tools to create generic companions for their party and call it a day!'. And it's not like the cost of creating a companion would have been very high and thus the few we got - they rarely interact with the world so I can't imagine giving them a backstory and stuff being so hard for a writer to do...

...but good to know about the moon godlike....I didn't realize their self heal was good enough to replace a priest. Now maybe I could create non healer PC and not having to suffer the Dunce (or was it Durance....) in the party:)

Companions are an investment. You have to invest in quite a bit of writing (at least, more than any other character gets in the world other than main villain etc), you have to invest in portrait art, you have to invest in a companion quest, you have to invest in voice-overs (which cost a lot), and so on. Indeed, part of the reason POE companions aren't quite as vocal or involved as in some other RPGs is precisely because they are a lot of work. 

Meanwhile, they added the ability to have custom adventurers because... it's a nice feature and one that many people asked for. Of course, now, you mistakenly connect the wrong dots and complain about that too.

Moon Godlike isn't as much healing flexibility / power as Druid or Priest spells, but they are definitely the only racial bonus to be really good at the moment. They're surely far too good - look at Human bonuses which are very similar but get a 5-second delay that makes it useless.

• Like 1

Companions are an investment. You have to invest in quite a bit of writing (at least, more than any other character gets in the world other than main villain etc), you have to invest in portrait art, you have to invest in a companion quest, you have to invest in voice-overs (which cost a lot), and so on. Indeed, part of the reason POE companions aren't quite as vocal or involved as in some other RPGs is precisely because they are a lot of work. 

Meanwhile, they added the ability to have custom adventurers because... it's a nice feature and one that many people asked for. Of course, now, you mistakenly connect the wrong dots and complain about that too.

Moon Godlike isn't as much healing flexibility / power as Druid or Priest spells, but they are definitely the only racial bonus to be really good at the moment. They're surely far too good - look at Human bonuses which are very similar but get a 5-second delay that makes it useless.

Ofcourse companions cost a little more than random NPC with 2 sentences (although I wonder if you don't overreacting with the cost).

But you are just being unfair about my judgement of the custom companions. For me they are the lazy solution and can you really blame me? I like way how BG2's do things more than I do the silent party from IWD1&2. I(my char) dislike having no choise as to what party members I will have.

Edited by lyin321

Ofcourse companions cost a little more than random NPC with 2 sentences (although I wonder if you don't overreacting with the cost).

But you are just being unfair about my judgement of the custom companions. For me they are the lazy solution and can you really blame me? I like way how BG2's do things more than I do the silent party from IWD1&2. I(my char) dislike having no choise as to what party members I will have.

Of course I can blame you. It was additional work to implement a separate feature for custom companions that many people demanded, and it is a feature which increases your options and replayability regardless of how many pre-designed NPCs there are. We also have clear history of the Kickstarter campaign where people asked for it and it was presented as a stretch goal. So there is absolutely nothing in the actual facts that supports anything close to "oh they are so lazy". 

I also like well written companions. I don't wish there were more, but I wish the ones we had got more attention. 

• Like 2

Of course I can blame you. It was additional work to implement a separate feature for custom companions that many people demanded, and it is a feature which increases your options and replayability regardless of how many pre-designed NPCs there are. We also have clear history of the Kickstarter campaign where people asked for it and it was presented as a stretch goal. So there is absolutely nothing in the actual facts that supports anything close to "oh they are so lazy". 

I also like well written companions. I don't wish there were more, but I wish the ones we had got more attention. 

...really it was so hard to implement as to be 'an additional feature'? :) To me it look to be just dialogue shortcut so people don't have to run/type a script themselves to start creating a new PC. But I am not a modder - it might indeed be such a hard task who knows?

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on the lazyness scale:)

Edited by lyin321

I look at the godmode races as something people can use to cheat but without having to actually use the console.

It makes it hard to look at class balance when every encounter can be made so much easier with the simple "make everyone a moon godlike, steamroll the game" When a fighter, or better yet a monk, moon godlike can do a better job at party support via AoE healing three times per encounter than a Paladin there is something wrong. Replacing any class that will consistently take damage with a moon godlike is the best strategy, there is not a better racial ability, except perhaps for the fire god's AoE fire aura when combined with carnage and blooded.

At the least the moon godlike's heal should be self only, no AoE. Changed to per rest if you keep the three heals or per encounter if you drop it to one heal at 50%.

The fire godmode's fire aura should not increase per level, nothing else does and this should follow suit.

In a world where hollowborn are put to death, I find it hard to believe that some monstrously deformed devil child would not be killed at birth. Also there should be a setting or a mod that changes all of the backer godlikes into something else, every other person you see is on fire or glowing blue.

• Like 2

They're good because they're one of the few races that have a passive that isn't complete ass, and out of the passives that aren't ass, this one happens to be incredibly broken. They get a free heal that can't be interrupted, scales with might, and can proc repeatedly during a single engagement. Ridiculous if you ask me.

...really it was so hard to implement as to be 'an additional feature'? :) To me it look to be just dialogue shortcut so people don't have to run/type a script themselves to start creating a new PC. But I am not a modder - it might indeed be such a hard task who knows?

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on the lazyness scale:)

I think if they were truly lazy then they wouldn't have even included custom companions to begin with. What you have to realize is that quality voice actors cost a lot of money, think of it this way, if you had to dedicate a lot of your time to voice acting would you do it for free or for minimum wage? No, you wouldn't, unless you were in a position where you literally had to. That means that they had to take chunks straight out of their budget (which was already waning to begin with for a game like this) in order to even include voice acting.

Basically, calling them "lazy" when you haven't considered things from a business point of view is incredibly short sighted of you.

Edited by Laz0r

I'd also add I enjoy nuking my moon god-like for the heals and additional area damage. YMMV but a monk one gains wounds as well, so SYNERGY!  Close to getting rooting pain too, so we'll see if also an additional knockdown with aoe damage from my backline casters just makes it even better.

This basically puts an active use ability of "damage" and mixes it with a reactive or passive "heal."  Priests wish they could heal as much and.  Paladins and Druids wish they could cast something else besides support, so its quite a nice thing to me.

Edited by MoxyWoo

I think if they were truly lazy then they wouldn't have even included custom companions to begin with. What you have to realize is that quality voice actors cost a lot of money, think of it this way, if you had to dedicate a lot of your time to voice acting would you do it for free or for minimum wage? No, you wouldn't, unless you were in a position where you literally had to. That means that they had to take chunks straight out of their budget (which was already waning to begin with for a game like this) in order to even include voice acting.

Basically, calling them "lazy" when you haven't considered things from a business point of view is incredibly short sighted of you.

...maybe calling them 'lazy' is a more of an insult than I realized (and to be frank I still can't), but I am not going to apologize or feel bad for thinking that this is them  taking the easy way out. And for me this is that in the end of the day...it's a bit like the situation with the Keep really....

...but enough of that since it's really offtopic - continue discussing how pretty blue people are - very! :)

Edited by lyin321

Really ? Try playing an Aumaua. TWO portraits to choose from, a barbarian in tooth necklace and a dude in heavy armor. Wizard ? Rogue ? Priest ? Nope!

Could've sworn they had a Wizard portrait. Though it has facial hair, which the models don't get =(

Limit party to 4 and 6 looks better already. btw there is ton of stuff to read from notes, books, item description, on location description, banter .. Sure there could be more. Everything more is apparently good. Still the game, within reason, has depth even if "with only" 6 companions.

---

edit: on topic, they are good just because healing is too strong in this game or rather damage is inevitable.

Edited by knownastherat

I disagree. Fire Gold Like racial is also very good. Of course you need to build for it, and it works best on barbarians/Rogues/Ciphers, However I'd still take their extra 4 DR over any other racial apart from Moon Like anyday. With right gear and plot talent and class talent, my Fire God Like below 50% have 24 DR overall and 36 DR for Slash and Pierce and about 30 any other. So I call it great, especially on barb when you can take plot talent (+2 DR when wearing armor) plus think skinned (+2 DR). And Burn retalitation is great for some classes.

But I agree, while BattleForged is imo very good, you need to build properly around it. At the same time Moon Like racial WORKS GREAT FOR ANY CLASS ANYTIME. For DPS that want extra sruvival, for tank that want to be more tank, for casters that want double Enduracne, for range classes that are focused by enemies. Moon Like is superior becasue his skill HAS NO DRAWBACK.

This ability allows you to get 10 CON when you wouldn't go below 16-18 on other race, get lower PER and RES when you wouldn't want to dump both on other race etc. If you create for example Fighter with 10 CON Moon Like- you are much better tank and much better Paladin than lets say Human Paladin with 18 CON. And since you are tank- you heal your party FOR FREE. AOE HEAL! That is just beyond broken.

This race just make every class 2x time more effective or 2x more tanky.

The whole idea of healing when Ednurance is low is stupid. When should I heal if not when I am low on Endurace? So this racial has no downside and do not require ANY MICROMANAGMENT, build around it etc.

It is just superior to every other racial BY MILES.

There is no better race for solo. But god...they look SO UGLY! :?

Edited by Voltron

I look at the godmode races as something people can use to cheat but without having to actually use the console.

It makes it hard to look at class balance when every encounter can be made so much easier with the simple "make everyone a moon godlike, steamroll the game" When a fighter, or better yet a monk, moon godlike can do a better job at party support via AoE healing three times per encounter than a Paladin there is something wrong. Replacing any class that will consistently take damage with a moon godlike is the best strategy, there is not a better racial ability, except perhaps for the fire god's AoE fire aura when combined with carnage and blooded.

At the least the moon godlike's heal should be self only, no AoE. Changed to per rest if you keep the three heals or per encounter if you drop it to one heal at 50%.

The fire godmode's fire aura should not increase per level, nothing else does and this should follow suit.

In a world where hollowborn are put to death, I find it hard to believe that some monstrously deformed devil child would not be killed at birth. Also there should be a setting or a mod that changes all of the backer godlikes into something else, every other person you see is on fire or glowing blue.

Indeed I'm playing with 

Main tank Moon like fighter

Off tank moon like rogue

Off tank  / DPS char Fire like Baba

And Finally I cut the need for more then 10con in PoTD in a six man party. Both the tanks run around with 18 Might 10 con 10 dex (only dump stat is int).

It's THAT better for my DPS meter ;p

Honestly I like it, the heal is not that OP since you will have to rest a bit more if you want to improve the overall DPS of the party dumping con a bit. I ended resting less when I used an Orlan tank (18con) + pala off tank because you have more total HP to play with so I found it a decent balance between the 2.

Basically IMO Moon Like let's you be more DPS oriented with more rest overall, while having 2 HEAVY tanks doesn't require the moon godlike and you'll rest less but you will do less dps as well.

And I'm talking in a min/max set up with 6 ppl in PoTD.

For solo run you more or less try to "cheat" the game with split pulls, bottle neck, figurine / retaliation. I don't see moon to be more game changing then any other abuse people use out of here (main reason couz I don't like the solo mode, to be honest).

And about role play, I'm in the group of players who likes RPG games on PC but don't care about roleplaying. I ended up running BG2 modded (ascendancy and all the others "hard mode" mod you can find out of here) more then any other single player. I played competitive WOW for a couple of years (top 100 world pve progress guild here) so I honestly just care about hardcore progress and that's my playstile.

RPG games on the PC are "hybryd" for masses of people that have very different playstile, from casual to hardcore to full roleplay oriented. You can't demand to have perfect balance (in not modded setup) IMO it's too hard to achieve that, honestly ;)

I ended running BG2 for years with more or less the same class (dual classed wizards) + 1 inquisitor. Here the choices aren't that deep but at least I can run with 4 different classes and try different set-up without hurting myself too much. It's OK atm after all. Isn't it?

Edited by B4nJ0