Do you fight all enemy encounters?

So far in POTD, there have been many encounters Id love to just skip for the time being, (Like this one Im on right now in Woodend Plains, ****ing pwgras enemy groups of 8-10, when they summon their blights), however my worthless ego wont allow it. It makes me feel like Im saying "Im defeated, you are better than me" if I do. But I think Im about to go ahead and do it against this ****ing group of enemies right here. Able to beat Shadows and Shades and gay ass wisps groups, but not this.

But anyways, do you skip some battles sometimes? How do you rationalize it? Because Im about to do it and I feel bad.

Edited by superluccix
  • Like 3

If I see them or I'm engaged, I fight. Can't help myself. Couldn't say why...I just can't not stomp the enemy if they're there, just like I can't stop myself from picking up junk loot that I really don't need to be picking up, just because it is there and my mouse finger can't stop clicking. It's ingrained or something, by now.

If I'm actually trying for a low-combat game, I'll sneak around more and will only fight if they engage me first. But that's not usually my style/goal.

• Like 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I apologize, I should have clarified by saying like, if you try to fight a group of enemies multiple times and fail, do you continue to strive to kill them, or eventually give up and come back later, or not at all

Edited by superluccix

There have been a few encounters where I came back later as they proved difficult and I didn't see an immediate reason to fight them.

I think in the end I did all that I had encountered, though (I didn't complete every quest on my first playthrough).

I apologize, I should have clarified by saying like, if you try to fight a group of enemies multiple times and fail, do you continue to strive to kill them, or eventually give up and come back later, or not at all

I try different strategies. If I find one that beats the group consistently, I keep it that way. If I win by some fluke, I feel I don't deserve the win come back later.

Wait, its possible to flee battles now?

Yes. If you can run quickly enough and get far enough, most enemies will leave you alone. It works best when you start running immediately upon being sighted. Once you're engaged, it's basically impossible to get away (I suspect you can do it if you cc them, but at that point you might as well fight).

So far in POTD, there have been many encounters Id love to just skip for the time being, (Like this one Im on right now in Woodend Plains, ****ing pwgras enemy groups of 8-10, when they summon their blights), however my worthless ego wont allow it. It makes me feel like Im saying "Im defeated, you are better than me" if I do. But I think Im about to go ahead and do it against this ****ing group of enemies right here. Able to beat Shadows and Shades and gay ass wisps groups, but not this.

But anyways, do you skip some battles sometimes? How do you rationalize it? Because Im about to do it and I feel bad.

How do I rationalize it ? I'm not a slayer looking to wipe out populations, instead I'm a rational person who doesn't look for fighting.

That said, I don't go through maps on stealth- if I meet hostile beings, I'll defend myself. Then we may stealth, especially if the area seems extremely hostile. If I see an encounter I can avoid and not miss on anything, I will avoid it.

To sum it up, the no-combat-XP system gives me the incentive to role-play adventuring and exploring, which is great. And to think I was very against that design decision when it was discussed during development.

In most other rpgs I've played, I feel compelled to clear all enemies and grind XP. PoE has again shown me how much more of a rpg than others is, by giving me incentive to rp :)

• Like 1

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

In the beginning on the game, i just focus on getting all the companions ASAP, so i power through all the early areas without killing anything - the exception being the mobs that patrol the outside of the stronghold the first time you go there.

By the time i'm finished with that i have a full party of 6 and at level 3, and there's plenty of easy quests to pick up in defiance bay that involve little or no fighting at all so i can stock up on some gear/copper and exp.

At this point i just backtrack to valewood, clearing those areas i've skipped without much trouble, and all the new areas i come across from that point on i fully clear :)

xosmi.gif

I take on all the enemies because I find the combat fun.

I avoid combat when there is nothing worth gaining - XPs, Items (powerful magic items).

Why fight when it is not worth it?

What does XP have to do with whether a fight is worth it? In a FPS there typically isn't XP handed out to engaging opponents, yet players engage them anyway. Clearly, the worth of gaming combat is not determined by receiving some points for it at the end.

I've avoided a few fights by using alternate resolutions (impersonation / diplomacy), as well as fighting bosses too, but if I'm in the wilderness/dungeon-crawling and there's a red-circled enemy there, I fight.

Not had too many part-wipes - but when I did, I tried again.

(Worst was soloing a bear early on - took about 4 or 5 tries).

I'm enjoying the combat (as well as the story, roleplaying etc) so why not?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I full clear and wipe out everything I encounter. I usually pick a dialogue option that initiates combat, I really liked the "You can call me spider squisher" My dialogue choices end up with aggressive and rational as traits, playing with the spoilers off.

The call me the November man as after I pass through everything is dead.

Monsters always have something to gain from killing them, crafting ingredients, sellable loot, something. Also I don't like leaving enemies behind me, what if they walked out and hit me from behind while I engaged another group? What if I forgot that they were still there and ran into them on the way to the exit while heavily wounded or just out of position? Better to kill them all and let Magran sort them out.

Playing on hard and I never had to skip any combat, i even soloed the two bears at start with a bit of luck and potion/food buff. I took the companions as quickly as i could and i had a 5 men party before taking the fortress so i think that helped a lot early on. I explore everything and clear every area so it makes me strong and i can keep up with the difficulty. I imagine however you'd have to skip some encounters on PotD and if you're soloing you just must skip some.

The only combat I conciously avoided (alternative solution) after a wipe (my first) was the Lighthouse at the very top (I was level 5 I think at the time).

Never had any other problems like that.

Oh yeah - that's the one I ended up quitting on and 'I'll come back later' too - ended up with the non-violent solution too.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

When playing on ironman mode, I guess it's impossible to fight all mobs the first time you encounter them.

And playing on POTD difficulty with reloads seems rather dull, what's the fun of fighting tons of monsters that gives almost no reward and reload the same battle over and over again until you win? I'd rather play on normal / hard but with ironman mode - is more thrilling. You encounter a mob but you are not sure you can win the battle - do you risk or come back later?