Low INT dialogue

Guest FlorianGh

Guest FlorianGh

https://youtu.be/IbyFqrEYSFw?t=4m30s

Why is there no low INT dialogue? I love the game I really do but I think this is quite an important feature to have in an RPG. I hope an expansion will solve this along with random encounters, romance and customizable party AI.

Edited by FlorianGh

Because the ability score ranges aren't as broad as they are in systems like SPECIAL or AD&D.  A character with 3 INT in Pillars is still a functional human adult-- just not one that you want to be cheating off of when you take the SATs. 

• Like 2

Why is there no low INT dialogue? I love the game I really do but I think this is quite an important feature to have in an RPG. I hope an expansion will solve this along with random encounters, romance and customizable party AI.

Hmmm Enoch is being diplomatic. low-INT dialogue is very resource heavy. I simply don't think they had time to write it, as it is precisely the sort of design feature you'd expect in an Obsidian game. Maybe in the future.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

Hmmm Enoch is being diplomatic. low-INT dialogue is very resource heavy. I simply don't think they had time to write it, as it is precisely the sort of design feature you'd expect in an Obsidian game. Maybe in the future.

True enough.  It's a feature that few players will ever notice and that creates a lot of problems for quest design and writing throughout the game.  But Fallout did it, so a portion of the fanbase always makes the case for it. 

Interesting that you don't often hear similar calls for 3-DEX characters to be randomly afflicted with the "hobbled" or "prone" condition, or for all descriptive text to be excised when playing as a 3-PER character.  Maybe all 3-RES characters should have dialogue responses replaced with "I can't decide!  Do you have any suggestions?"  ;-)

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 7

True enough.  It's a feature that few players will ever notice and that creates a lot of problems for quest design and writing throughout the game.  But Fallout did it, so a portion of the fanbase always makes the case for it. 

Interesting that you don't often hear similar calls for 3-DEX characters to be randomly afflicted with the "hobbled" or "prone" condition, or for all descriptive text to be excised when playing as a 3-PER character.  Maybe all 3-RES characters should have dialogue responses replaced with "I can't decide!  Do you have any suggestions?"  ;-)

With a character with three Might all scripted fight beginnings now involve someone helping the character unsheathe their weapons (a third of the time it is, for humorous effect, the person you are about to fight who has pity on your feeble efforts to draw a sword and helps you out), and every time you have a conversation with a party member after resting the dialogue mentions you struggling to open your eyes until they open them for you.

• Like 5

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out 

Haha! Fantastic :p

3-6 MIG = Enemies will laugh at you (If they are of the intimidating Might type, having between 15-18 Might), loving the idea of them helping you hold the sword too xD
3-6 CON = Quick and nimble enemies might start combat by tripping you (You start in Prone, they have 15-18 Dexterity)
3-6 DEX = Your fingers are like rubber, so you have a risk of dropping a weapon right before combat begins (Enemies will laugh at you)
3-6 PER = You're BLIND! Or, well, almost... that's why you won't see the ambush (More enemies after dialogue)
3-6 INT = You don't know anything, about anything, enemies/characters/NPC's will outwit YOU in dialogue and trick you to pay more than you have to.
3-6 RES = You're a coward, you'll run away before the action even has a chance to begin, with enemies behind awkwardly behind your tail.

Although, perhaps it should be "If NPC/Enemy/XTarget has +5 [Attribute] they will do a Turnover" :p

Edited by Osvir

Guest FlorianGh

I'm torn on low-int dialogue. It's a lot of effort for something that's good for a bit of a laugh, but on the other hand it's what gave us

. Tradeoffs.

OMFG that is EPIC. Didn't know that one but they did it in Arcanum also. It can be fixed with a patch ( I know it's hard work but GOD damn this game deserves it ).

Haha! Fantastic :p

3-6 MIG = Enemies will laugh at you (If they are of the intimidating Might type, having between 15-18 Might), loving the idea of them helping you hold the sword too xD

3-6 CON = Quick and nimble enemies might start combat by tripping you (You start in Prone, they have 15-18 Dexterity)

3-6 DEX = Your fingers are like rubber, so you have a risk of dropping a weapon right before combat begins (Enemies will laugh at you)

3-6 PER = You're BLIND! Or, well, almost... that's why you won't see the ambush (More enemies after dialogue)

3-6 INT = You don't know anything, about anything, enemies/characters/NPC's will outwit YOU in dialogue and trick you to pay more than you have to.

3-6 RES = You're a coward, you'll run away before the action even has a chance to begin, with enemies behind awkwardly behind your tail.

Although, perhaps it should be "If NPC/Enemy/XTarget has +5 [Attribute] they will do a Turnover" :p

This would be hilarious.

At 3 Might you should be limited to light armor ... because heavy is too heavy.  At 3 Dex you should lag 5 minutes behind the rest of the party when making area transitions.  The game would be much easier to balance, I should think, if there were actual negative consequences to dumping stats.

I think if a developer is going to go through the effort of writing a second set of dialogue for "dumb" characters they should treat is as a role playing option rather than a result of stat value that effects gameplay. It's definitely a welcome feature and it's one of those things that really gives a game a personality (something I feel PoE struggles to define), but I hate how warriors are resigned to being idiots while mages are always geniuses. How about wise vagabond or socially stunted mage?

To me, conversation options should be decided based on a combination of a social trait you choose at character creation (dumb, average, smart) and your characters origin (region specific knowledge). You could even go a step further and offer conversation options based on a character's class (surely a warrior could speak more intelligently and thoroughly about all things close quarters combat while a bard may know music history. A person tends to relate things to what they know most about).

• Like 1