Hello,

I know most of people think backstab sucks but I like the idea of playing a stealth assassin. So I would like some advice to build a backstab rogue for hard difficulty (not solo, 6 party members including only characters provided by the game).

I would like to play a human (not interested by other races, sorry if I look racist lol) and one handed (don't like the idea of a stealth assassin using big two handed weapon, even if it would be better for backstab).

So I plan to take the following stats: 20/3/rest in dexterity/18/3/19. 

As weapon, I'm thinking of the one including saber/stiletto/pistol (and without one handed talent). Sabers deal great damage and some unique sabers have 0,5 crit modifier.

For abilities : crippling strike, dirty fighting, deep wounds, escape (after backstabbing)

Talents : one weapon proficiency, backstab, vicious fighting, shadowing beyong (to backstab again), superior deflection

What do you think of it?

Thank you :)

PS: English is not my native language

Build like that can work: you need you wizard or any other spellcaster inflict at least 1 condition on enemies so Sneak Attack will work. Then you need to use Shadowing beyond and attack your target. For max damage you need at least 2 conditions on enemies- means more managment for casters to make your Rogue work.

However build has several cons:

1. If you miss backstab, you are visible again and you have to either: use second shadowing beyond, wasting ability and after that you are pretty much inferior warrior since you can't sneak anymore. You can still do nice damage thanks to conditions inflicted on ememies, however you have to keep looking if enemies are getting them regulary from your casters.

2. You can ONLY attack with max damage with Shadowing Beyond since game mechanic do not allow one character to remain in stealth if even one other party member is discovered so no sneaking around pack of mobs hiting your tank. It sucks hard compare to D&D when you could work like that with your thief/assassin.

3. You have only two invisiblities- means two backstabs. Potential two kills.

You build and rouge in general would work much better if sneak in fight would be allowed and be separated for every char in your party. It is fun build but there is also another one problem:

Most of the times you want to abuse: bottlenecks, doorways, corners etc. Also- most of the time you are gonna fight packs of mobs. Means that everybody, your party included will be crowded on small space. That makes moving around enemies while invisible many times just impossible since your path is just blocked by friends or foes.

So it is possible to have fun with it, sure. However keep in mind that you need to have perfect odds to make this playstyle proc for you.

What Rogues need really is: separate stealth, stealth in battle and Shadowing Beyond as per encounter skill.

Your build looks solid, INT and DEX can be dumb stats you want to be One-Shoter anyway.

For gear anything that boost movement speed, gives second chance and protection. You weapon choice is also best since Sabers work best with this kind of tactic, stilletos are also nice. You can also keep in mind: Estocs, Battle Axes or Maces (for Crush damage and DR pass).

LAST TIP: TAKE EVERYTHING THAT BOOST YOUR ACCURACY. Everytalent, every item or gear, every enchant. Have different enchant (enemy group) on different sabers/axes. You WANT TO HIT THIS BACKSTAB.

You priest main role in fight is to first of all give you accuracy boost.

Cheers and have fun!

Edited by Voltron
  • Like 1

Backstab rogue does not work. In bigger fights late game, and especially in Endless Paths, large groups of enemies will contain casters who will either nuke or paralyze your rogue as he runs away. You will have to burn Shadowing Beyond just to escape after the initial pull.

Backstab would be so much better if it actually required you to attack an enemy in melee from behind, demanding careful positioning from both your tanks and rogue. As it currently stands, with party stealth, it's a trap talent that will only serve to disappoint you.

Thank you for your answer Voltron and relevant advice!

I'm currently playing a melee rogue level 8, I gained some experience with him but I miss opening fight with a backstab. My current Rogue is max dex but has less resolve, he can tank a bit especially with the mother spell providing DR. So I plan to max deflection, wearing intermediate armor and I'm hesitating regarding faction (between the one providing bonus for crit and the one providing extra DR). After hitting with backstab, I will run toward the rest of my group. Boots of speed will be useful.

As long as it's viable, I'd stick with the build you enjoy. I plan on a melee rouge PC in another few runs.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Thank you for your answer Voltron and relevant advice!

I'm currently playing a melee rogue level 8, I gained some experience with him but I miss opening fight with a backstab. My current Rogue is max dex but has less resolve, he can tank a bit especially with the mother spell providing DR. So I plan to max deflection, wearing intermediate armor and I'm hesitating regarding faction (between the one providing bonus for crit and the one providing extra DR). After hitting with backstab, I will run toward the rest of my group. Boots of speed will be useful.

Yup that is the problem with game. Some things are bad by design- backstab, sneak attack requirements, sneak mechanic, path blocking, small corridors etc.

You are now looking for tank-Rogue build. I advice to search in this forum with builds "Retalitation Rogue"- you will find there a nice build for tank Rogue.

But if you really want to switch to be front line- Figher and Barbarian are better. At least now when they still did not nerf OSA on Barb, after that, there will be only Fighter, Chanter and Cipher left :/.

If only AT LEAST Shadow Beyond was per encounter and Sneak Attack and Backstab just required to hit enemies back that would be much better. However both best DPS talents of Rogue have stupid requirements that JUST DO NOT work with how fights occur in this game.

Not your fault, man. If you seek for glass cannon build that do super damage while let your tank keep enemies bussy I can suggest you fun non-tanky fully damage barbarian for Dual Wielding. It is for party, becasue it is super too squisy for solo. But it is fun ^^. Of course if you wanna have fun with it, don't download next patch becasue they want to nerf OSA with barb.

I would say it depends on play style. Taking out the highest threat at the beginning of the fight, with Backstab, can be worth per rest ability. Of course then Rogue has to retreat and auto-attack but that is how it works. Besides without the biggest threat, dangerous caster for example, it might be more efficient to auto-attack after such assassination than perform whatever feasts without one.