Do enemies respawn at any place?

I would like to see this happen EVEN if they dont give Exp. Just because i love the combat in this game and I hate going back to an old area that's just dried up of all enemies and loot and stuff to do. It's just bare now and no point going back. Eventually everything in the game will be killed and I will have no more to fight :( .. it kind of sucks.

I sorta agree. It seems even if you killed everything in a forest that there would eventually be other animals or humans that made it their home. For me it does break a bit of that immersion.

Although at the same time I can't stand not getting some sort of xp for killing things. I can understand to a point not wanting to let people grind to level up so the game is paced across the entire thing. But if I buy the game let me grind if I want to. If anything grinding is a testament to the combat.

Edited by mystang89
  • Like 1

I disagree with that idea just because you aren't getting any xp.

what does it matter, i just like having enemies to fight. Once you clear an area it's so baren and eventually there will be NOTHING to kill in the whole game. Like a world without monsters, it's just crappy imo.

The exp system in this game doesnt bother me, just pointlessly killing things would be good enough for me xD... after all, having a ful bestiary and no more beasts to slay is kind of pointless..

So you want to visit the same area over and over again and fight the same monsters for no reason other than the enjoyment of combat?

Fair enough, but I think that's probably something most people who play games like this would get intensely annoyed by.

I play for the progression and to move on to different challenges, and then to restart and try different characters. Not to kill the same things a million times with the same character. Sounds, as you say, 'pointless'.

• Like 1

Not to kill the same things a million times with the same character. Sounds, as you say, 'pointless'.

It's a style that all the Diablo like arpg or most fantasy mmo games are based on, where such is actually the whole point. Some people are probably used to that sort of thing these days - eg they like playing their decked out chrs. for a lot longer than just doing the quest progression.

...but it doesn't fit in the PoE game, I agree. It's a story-game...you play it, progress/move forward, end the story, then start a new game with a new chr. and do it all again. Not play the same areas just to kill stuff with the same chr. over and over.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

So you want to visit the same area over and over again and fight the same monsters for no reason other than the enjoyment of combat?

Fair enough, but I think that's probably something most people who play games like this would get intensely annoyed by.

I play for the progression and to move on to different challenges, and then to restart and try different characters. Not to kill the same things a million times with the same character. Sounds, as you say, 'pointless'.

The thing about that is.. you WONT be visiting the old areas anyway, because theyre been cleared of all enemies and loot, and interactions. Like all the forests for example.

I wouldnt necessarily spend my time randomly killing things, I progress through the story.. but I personally just like the idea of monsters inhabiting an area again, and you clear them out. Maybe over the spam of a few in-game days you recieve note of monsters coming back to an area and have to clear some again, and get like a gold reward?

IDK, just something I had to get out. I know a lot of people would hate that, and that's totally fine.

Edited by Celerion

If that's really all you want, couldn't you just save the game, clear out an area, then restore the game to clear out the enemies again? After all with no xp and little loot, there wouldn't be any character progression between "passes", so it seems like this would meet your requirements.

Quoting myself from another topic:

"This is not the kind of game you will return an area often and if you do, it is because of the story and you WILL have encounters. PE is totally story-driven so you will busy advancing and there is not reason to return an area you already cleaned. And that's fine, because there are a LOT of new areas ahead, so, don't worry about the areas you left behind. Now, a bit of respawning could be realistic, and the experience point system avoid the farming, so there are no reason to creatures no returning an area. In the other hand, this could be just time consuming without adding anything to the story."

• Like 1

I know the game works this way and that's fine, and no guys I don;t want to mindlessly kill enemies over and over. It would just give me some weird enjoyment to know there are always enemies everywhere.. the thought of having a blank save with no monsters left is kind of saddening. I can't test my end game characters on any mobs. But like I can deal with it, I know it's not how the game is lol.

I'm having enough fun progressing and doing everything as it is, so I don't have to worry about it anyways. And you're right, I can always start a new game save after. :)

Bounties provide challenging battles and a reason to revisit old areas. I think it's better than simply repopulating the area with random enemies. There isn't much point in fighting a band of xaurips with a team of level 12 seasoned adventurers.

Beside that, why would you want to keep fighting? No experience over the level cap, no great loot, no need for more money... And the game ends with the main quest, so you'd have to delay the final confrontation. Why not start a new game instead?

Edited by Rosveen
  • Like 1

I agree with the OP. I was disappointed the first time I went back to an area I'd cleared days ago, only to find it barren and lifeless. It's unrealistic, makes the world feel dead, and it makes revisiting the maps pointless after you've cleared them.

A simple solution would be to keep the roads safe after the map is cleared, but allow respawns off the beaten path.

• Like 1

I agree with the OP. I was disappointed the first time I went back to an area I'd cleared days ago, only to find it barren and lifeless. It's unrealistic, makes the world feel dead, and it makes revisiting the maps pointless after you've cleared them.

A simple solution would be to keep the roads safe after the map is cleared, but allow respawns off the beaten path.

YES exactly, you get me :)

Bounties provide challenging battles and a reason to revisit old areas. I think it's better than simply repopulating the area with random enemies. There isn't much point in fighting a band of xaurips with a team of level 12 seasoned adventurers.

Beside that, why would you want to keep fighting? No experience over the level cap, no great loot, no need for more money... And the game ends with the main quest, so you'd have to delay the final confrontation. Why not start a new game instead?

there are bounties in the game?? or are you just suggesting a feature. I haven't gotten too far in the game yet so I don;t know. x)

If so, where do i get them and what happens exactly. I get gold for wiping out some mobs in an old area? I was suggesting this happen on another post. But if it's already in the game that's even better lol.

I imagine there's a way to spawn enemies with the console if you really want to try out your characters vs specific creatures.

OH I didn't even think of this, this would be perfect. Hopefully there is.

Aaaaah, no... I dislike "trash mobs" enough as it is, don't need them to respawn thank you very much.

Although, kudos for coming with a suggestion. If anything "somewhere in the vicinity of this" where to be included, I'd make it part of the stronghold. Like instead of a prison you'd have a menagerie or bestiary, that you can fill with creatures you've captured. Capturing said creature should be a "quest/task" in itself, requiring you to use some sort of item gimmic on a low-health individual or whatever. When you've done so, you have access to it your menagerie.

You can then have your game warden set up a "Test of Champions" or whatever you'd call it. You select which type of creatures you want to fight (pick one, many or all), size of group (small 1-3, medium 4-6, large 7-10, huge, 11-15), and how many swarms you want (each swarm increasing strength of group by 15%? Size maybe?). You can then select a random location on your land (forest, dungeon, mountain, etc.) and you'll be faced with a somewhat varied test of skills.

If you die, your game warden will stop the fight, get you back to your castle, tend to your wounds and you would -not die-. This could be usefull on Trial of Iron games to gauge your strength before big fights, given that you've actually killed anything of it before.

This could be expanded to include steam achievements, in-game "talents" (master of many: killed 5 swarms of 5 different creatures of medium size. Reward: +20 endurance), etc. 

Anyways, just throwing out some very rough ideas. But this could've been a nice addition to the stronghold :)

• Like 1

I like the menagerie idea. To make it more realistic, you could fight in an enclosed arena in the stronghold; the type of terrain doesn't affect combat anyway.

As for bounties, you get them from the Warden's Lodge in Caed Nua (you have to build it first). There are four tiers, so they aren't unlimited, but they provide decent challenge and unique loot.

Yes, to me that's the main thing there. Even if there was respawning, they'd just be a nuisance rather than fun to fight, mostly. Not to mention you can travel past most maps in one giant travel leap anyway ... no reason to walk each one individually if they're empty, outside of role playing I suppose. I just go from Twin Elms to Defiance Bay in one button press.

I do get/understand the idea that if you do walk back across maps it's lifeless etc but don't really like the idea of respawns. Also, because of the bounties, some of which spawn encounter groups in old areas, you'd have to make sure respawning didn't interfere with those occurrences in some weird way. Not impossible or anything, but more work.

A fight arena (or something) being part of the Stronghold might be kind of interesting, however.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'd like to see some level of respawn at least in dungeons/caves/etc.  Not necessarily because I'd want to do the combat again, per se, but because it makes those places more legitimately dangerous to explore, and thus makes the game more strategic.  Right now, there's a "free run" back out, so the sense of danger is greatly diminished.   Also if I decide to leave after doing half the dungeon, there's no real reason not to overnuke the last fight.  It's not like I'll need the spells for anything after that, so why not?

Contrast this with some oldschool games where you had to carefully manage your party's resources, because you were likely to run into a few nasties on your way back out.  You'd never just unload everything you had after deciding to leave after the next fight, because you had to survive the trip back to the surface, which might mean encountering some wandering creatures.

I don't think it'd need to be a respawn back to the original population, but to, say, 20%.  Enough that you'd want to be careful.

I think I nice middle ground might be to have random chance at a fight when you travel from map to map, say a 25 or 30 percent chance.

I know there would be a couple of things that need ironing out like what about those people who are in a hurting position, out of camping kits and just trying to get to an inn. If they got in a fight they'd lose easily and there's no retreat option unless you give another option to run from the fight before engaging or something. I'm sure someone smart than me can figure it out.