Are companion quests missable if I dont have the companions in my main party?

I want to play the game with a custom party and keep my companions in the inn/stronghold and then later do their quests near the end of the game. Is this possible to do, or do I have to have them in my main party during certain story segments and quests?

At least one companion quest will become completely impossible due to events about two thirds of the way through the game. Another one seems to rely on the companion being present during a certain scene, but you may be able to work around that with other dialog options. A third may be difficult to find if you did not bring the companion to the location the first time you were there. Two of the companion quests claim to require that you travel with them, but you may be able to work around that as well.

Basically, I wouldn't recommend doing this although I only managed to truly break one quest.

For which quest(s) should I switch in my companion to make sure I do not lose the quest/quest progression. I haven't found any guides online for this.

Best general advice, I think, is that if something can be done before the end of Act 2, you should do it before resolving the core Act-2-main-plot quest. 

At least one companion quest will become completely impossible due to events about two thirds of the way through the game. Another one seems to rely on the companion being present during a certain scene, but you may be able to work around that with other dialog options. A third may be difficult to find if you did not bring the companion to the location the first time you were there. Two of the companion quests claim to require that you travel with them, but you may be able to work around that as well.

Basically, I wouldn't recommend doing this although I only managed to truly break one quest.

Yup....I missed that quest. I know the one you are talking about.  Get it on a second play through! :no:

i made it with a custom party+eder, completing all of NPC quests

(except Aloth, i sacrificed aloth)
for two companions quest phases trigger as you rest, and im not sure if any of those phases have to be done in a certain act

for Altoh most phases trigger anytyme but you have to do a certain phase in a certain place in a certain act
for others you have to visit certain places/persons and i think it can be done aat any point in game

PIllars of eternty (Hard) 1st playtrough: 155h, 38 m (main Ranger with bear(bow), Eder, Durance(off tank), Hirvais(off tank), Kana(ranged), Aloth/GM)
PIllars of eternty (PtoD) 2nd playtrough: 88h 30 m (main Bleak Walker Paladin, Eder, Barbarian, Monk, Rogue (ranged) Cypher(wand)
(not counting reloads and experimenting)
status i love the game, hate the bugs, and wish for better AI and Pathfinding

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/78749-needed-qualyty-of-life-improvements-information-and-transparency/