Obsidian: PoE was critical success, so kickstart KotOR III NOW!

Dystar

Title says it all.  Great job on PoE, universally acclaimed, kickstarted project by 77k people. Now, drop a kickstart for KotOR III and, wait, hold on the force is telling me something....

Money,

Power,

Respect,

The Jedi craves not these things,

But give us KotOR III and you shall have them (and a wee bit more than 77k backers I think..)

Well, if they get enough backers maybe they could buy Disney outright.

EDIT: Let's seem, market capitalisation of just over $181b, so 362 million backers at the gold ($500) level would do it.

Edited by Humanoid
  • Like 5

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Yeah, as much as I want to see a KotOR 3, with SW:ToR still active and Disney cutting 90% of the canon KotOR was based on, that's not going to happen.

Amen TrueNeutral.  Disney's money talks while Obsidian walks.  :no:

• Like 1

The  thing about political Power is that, like everything else, it's an illusion and often confused with Authority whereas authority is static; passive and defensive as it is given by power and can be taken away;  Power is taken,  fluid,  willful and offensive, and cannot be taken, only replaced. 

Everything is One...You.  You are so much greater than the outline of Your body. -Allen C. Norde`

Yeah, as much as I want to see a KotOR 3, with SW:ToR still active and Disney cutting 90% of the canon KotOR was based on, that's not going to happen.

Especially on time when they try to build their new official canon.

Maybe after all the movies in new trilogy has been released and their tv series Rebels has run its course they probably could be willing to let people to produce products based on Legends' stories. Although in that point I don't know I anybody would be anymore interested of such instead of new game series that would be counted as part of official canon.

Don't see any reason why Obsidian couldn't make a game that takes place prior to kotor I or during/right after the current events in SW:TOR, and if they offered disney a percentage of whatever profits are made after release (all money kickstarted goes to fund project only) just for the right to make something with 'star wars' in the title, don't see why this couldn't happen. Disney is making Canon for post episode VI, they have said nothing about rewritting IV through VI for 'new' cannon or anything before that.  And with what a critically acclaimed game KotOR 1 and 2 were , along with Obsidian's success with PoE, I think they have a good enough track record that Disney would consider that a sound investment. 

Wait a second...

NEVERMIND FORGET I EVER EVEN SUGGESTED THIS...

I just had a premonition about the dark side of the force winning and Obsidian being bought out and absorbed by disney.

Title says it all.  Great job on PoE, universally acclaimed, kickstarted project by 77k people. Now, drop a kickstart for KotOR III and, wait, hold on the force is telling me something....

Money,

Power,

Respect,

The Jedi craves not these things,

But give us KotOR III and you shall have them (and a wee bit more than 77k backers I think..)

**** that, Obsidian should just make their own Science Fiction universe, preferably hard sci-fi, and kickstart that. Making new worlds is what they're really good at, so I'd put my money on that.

• Like 3

Don't see any reason why Obsidian couldn't make a game that takes place prior to kotor I or during/right after the current events in SW:TOR, and if they offered disney a percentage of whatever profits are made after release (all money kickstarted goes to fund project only) just for the right to make something with 'star wars' in the title, don't see why this couldn't happen. Disney is making Canon for post episode VI, they have said nothing about rewritting IV through VI for 'new' cannon or anything before that.  And with what a critically acclaimed game KotOR 1 and 2 were , along with Obsidian's success with PoE, I think they have a good enough track record that Disney would consider that a sound investment. 

Disney is a multi-billion dollar juggernaut, they are not going to take kindly to some guys saying "let us take your IP and then give you a cut of hypothetical profits". 

There's a reason Disney went with EA.

I think Obsidian should kickstart every IP they don't own.  What bad could happen?

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I think Obsidian should kickstart every IP they don't own.  What bad could happen?

I don't.

It would cause people to lose faith in the company, plus it would mean they don't have enough to make games.

er...that was sarcasm in my post...?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

KotOR sucks.  There, I said it, but I just don't like those games.  They suxxor the gibbon.  Plus EA has exclusivity over all Star Wars related games development at the moment, because you know they are ****.  Did I mention that KotOR is a big pile o' wank? 

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

KotOR sucks.  There, I said it, but I just don't like those games.  They suxxor the gibbon.  Plus EA has exclusivity over all Star Wars related games development at the moment, because you know they are ****.  Did I mention that KotOR is a big pile o' wank? 

OMG FJ.  Your harangue against KoTOR violates "when in Rome" protocol.  :ban:

• Like 1

The  thing about political Power is that, like everything else, it's an illusion and often confused with Authority whereas authority is static; passive and defensive as it is given by power and can be taken away;  Power is taken,  fluid,  willful and offensive, and cannot be taken, only replaced. 

Everything is One...You.  You are so much greater than the outline of Your body. -Allen C. Norde`

mediocre bland RPGs like PoE could happen

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

mediocre bland RPGs like PoE could happen

But they OWN PoE, I said IPs they don't own (like the thread starters suggestion, KOTOR III) :p

I think the KotOR franchise should rest in peace--sometimes an excellent thing needs to end an excellent thing and not be added to. but I'd totally back an original IP space opera by Obsidian. Although I want an espionage game (a la Alpha Protocol) more...

Edited by DeathQuaker
  • Like 1

I think the KotOR franchise should rest in peace--sometimes an excellent thing needs to end an excellent thing and not be added to. but I'd totally back an original IP space opera by Obsidian. Although I want an espionage game (a la Alpha Protocol) more...

SPACE OPERA ESPIONAGE!

• Like 4

I think the KotOR franchise should rest in peace--sometimes an excellent thing needs to end an excellent thing and not be added to.

Out of curiosity, what "excellent thing" do you believe the franchise ended with? The only consistently good parts were the original KotOR and the first half of KotOR II. The novel was awful and while the MMO did have a few good stories, they were buried under so much trash that it was hard to enjoy them.

It would be nice to have a KotOR III that scraps everything the novel and the MMO said about Revan and the Exile, but it's very unlikely to happen and if by chance it did, Obsidian would not be the company I would choose to do it. The dark tone Obsidian tends to use is OK for a middle part of the story (much like The Empire Strikes Back was darker than the original), but the ending should be done by the 2003 version of Bioware.

I would love to see Obsidian do an original Space-fantasy setting. Space emperors, blending magic and high technology (not like Mass Effect and their pseudoscience explainations for magic, full on mysterious orders built around the stuff), far future religions, etc.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg