Curious about Bell Puzzle problems mentioned in Dev Comentary

Going through the game with the dev commentary on. Some of it is interesting, though the one for the Temple of Eothas has left a question squirming around in my brain. "Why don't do bell puzzles?" Maybe it was just an off-the-cuff funny thing to say, but I'd like to know what unique challenges bells brought as a puzzle. I'd like the community's thoughts on what could have been the challenges in doing a bell puzzle.

the hints dont make sense - at all - had to wiki this to progress

If theres a note that states there are 4 tones to strike on 3 bells, I missed it

That one little detail would have most people hitting a wall.

The vision you get says that the right bell comes first and last, and the note you find says that the ... middle bell, IIRC? ... comes second. So the hints are all there.

But damned if they're not really easy to miss. That, I definitely agree with.

• Like 2

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

If theres a note that states there are 4 tones to strike on 3 bells, I missed it

The hints makes perfect sense. I had no problem solving the bell puzzle on my first try. Of course, I had seen the bells before the hint from the soul, and the rest were all written down for you, so I paid attention to the soul thingy.

As far as I've been able to ascertain, there's three different ways to open the door. Lockpick, solving the puzzle, or finding the key. Funnily, only one of those results in experience.

I really liked the Temple of Eothas, partly because of how they did the bell puzzle. It was simple, but it felt meaningful, and it could be approached in more than one way.

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

Commentary is amazing. I have it on in every playthrough.

Regarding the note about bell puzzle. We can only speculate but Olivia Veras mentions "on paper, each of these rooms had listed  purpose and name" (later buried under rubble) she also mentions "The bell puzzle here went through couple of iterations." and that key was placed in one of the rooms and NPC (Wirtan) to provide info which " .. seemed to balance things out".

Its possible there was an argument/debate in the office how to set it up and everyone had the best idea. In such case democracy does not work ... ;)

Edited by knownastherat

The vision you get says that the right bell comes first and last, and the note you find says that the ... middle bell, IIRC? ... comes second. So the hints are all there.

But damned if they're not really easy to miss. That, I definitely agree with.

There's also a poem/story about some dude talking with 3 divine beings, and other hints allow you to figure out which being is which bell, and the beings speak 4 times in the story, and the order in which they speak is the correct order for the bells.