[Class Build] Blunderbuss Cipher: Hard/PotD difficulty

In regards to what to do with Ring Leader if combat stops?  You can simply force attack a unit while the rest remain charmed.  There's no downside.

Question: how do X damage over Y time spells work in this game?  I know how damage over time spells usually work, but the way these read in the spell descriptions, they actually get worse, the higher your INT, because it just increases the duration of the effect, but not the total damage.

i.e.

30% damage over 16s (base 10).

In regards to what to do with Ring Leader if combat stops?  You can simply force attack a unit while the rest remain charmed.  There's no downside.

Question: how do X damage over Y time spells work in this game?  I know how damage over time spells usually work, but the way these read in the spell descriptions, they actually get worse, the higher your INT, because it just increases the duration of the effect, but not the total damage.

i.e.

It's just a tooltip error. DoTs deal damage in fixed interval ticks, so more int = longer duration = more damage.

• Like 1

i.e.

It's just a tooltip error. DoTs deal damage in fixed interval ticks, so more int = longer duration = more damage.

Well, that's how I assumed it should work, and thought it could be a tooltip error, but I've been avoiding those kinds of abilities just in case.

• Like 1

Why bother with a Cipher if you can use a Wizard ? Combusting Wounds, +5 damage per hit. For Blunderbuss this means +30 damage per shot. Have an Island Aumama with Quick Switch.

Even with Island Aumaua and 4 blunderbusses, assuming everything works out, it is 120 damage. This is not comparable to the amount of damage cipher can put out using focus from just 1 blunderbuss shot. Besides, if it's not solo, why not both? Although my wiz usually had better things to do than Combusting Wounds.

• Like 2

Ok, a few more responses and thoughts. Thanks everyone for the feedback. Since I can't edit the initial post any more I may turn this all into a Steam guide if I get around to it.

Well, as for level 1 powers I agree that most are good, but you are suggesting Whisper of Treason as 1 of the picks, which is probably the worst level 1 power in my book and inferior to grasp.

As for draining vs biting whip, most of your damage comes from spells anyway and biting in no way competes with draining in terms of focus gain, esp with fast weapons (you need to deal like 8 more damage for 2 focus, which means that theoretically you need a 40 average base damage weapon for that 20% boost to make it even, which is too much even for slow weapons, let alone fast).

Yeah, these are good points. 

The reason I recommend biting whip first is that I've found that when I take draining whip early on, I tend to top out my focus meter, so a lot of the extra focus from draining whip is just wasted; until you get a few levels your total focus has a fairly low ceiling and you really don't need to generate that much to be effective. Conversely, extra damage is always good. To an extent it's a moot issue because really you should be taking both talents with this build; it's not either/or it's both/and.

Wooooood ellllllllllf

Yes but then you have to be an elf and who wants that

(More seriously, yeah, Wood Elf is probably the best pick, I just couldn't remember what their racial stats were when I was responding to that post).

As I said, I usually skip Detonate - I find mind lance, ectopsychic echo and whatever level 1 damage powers you've picked sufficient in terms of damage, plus they get outclasses by amplified wave anyway in most situations. Tactical meld can be cast out of combat as of now, which probably will be fixed seeing how prebuffing is removed in any form, but anyway it has fast cast speed and borrowed instinct is not only a buff, but also a great debuff, so targeting some boss with it is not a bad idea at all.

Do you prefer Ectopsychic Echo, or Antipathetic Field ? They're not the same level, but Echo is fortitude, while Field is reflex. Most of the big and dangerous have lower Reflex than Fortitude.

Honestly no matter what I pick I tend to just use Soul Shock for damage. WIth this build you're going to be playing on a team with a tank and the tank is going to be gathering up all the enemy targets so it's really hard for anything else to beat SS in terms of efficiency and ease of use. There are rare situations where a beam or Detonate or whatever will be more effective but usually SS is your bomb and later choices for damage powers are just "pick whatever you feel is fun."

Thanks but I already went for a Wood Elf with these stats.

At first I wanted to go with a Hunting Bow until I found a good pistol, but with my Wood Elf The Disappointer gave a better total accuracy then the hunting bow, go figure. Still once I could add a enchantment to The Disappointer ( Accuracy, because that was what I could do at that moment. ) The difference was there, even more so due to that Fire arms mod I found on the Nexus.  :)

Oh god that firearms mod is ludicrous, is that the one that lets you dual weild the blunderbuss? At that point it seems like you're not even playing the same game.

Right, right. There's a minor issue with combat ending and losing buffs, but my real objection to Ringleader is more aesthetic -- it's so random that it messes up my nicely organized positioning and that annoys me. It probably is the best power at that level I just don't like it. 

ARe you 100% sure? I've never been able to confirm that, but I'd like to think you're right. 

Why bother with a Cipher if you can use a Wizard ? Combusting Wounds, +5 damage per hit. For Blunderbuss this means +30 damage per shot. Have an Island Aumama with Quick Switch.

Ciphers have per-encounter abilities? But yeah the point of this build isn't to do the most damage with a blunderbuss, it's to do the most damage as a cipher, by using the blunderbuss for quick focus generation. If all you wanted was to maximize single-target blunderbuss damage you'd probably go ranged rogue.

Even with Island Aumaua and 4 blunderbusses, assuming everything works out, it is 120 damage. This is not comparable to the amount of damage cipher can put out using focus from just 1 blunderbuss shot. Besides, if it's not solo, why not both? Although my wiz usually had better things to do than Combusting Wounds.

Yeah, that probably is a build I should have mentioned in the initial post (picking Island Aumau and swapping out Gunner for the extra weapon slot talent) but it won't let me go back and edit it in. I never liked it though just because it feels like an awful lot of micromanagement for what's ultimately limited benefit -- as above, the goal is to use the blunderbuss to generate focus, not to just maximize blunderbuss damage -- and there are only so many good blunderbusses in the game. There's only one Lead Spitter.

ARe you 100% sure? I've never been able to confirm that, but I'd like to think you're right. 

I've seen a dev confirm it. This is also my experience with some DoT spells that are easier to measure, but I can't confirm for all spells.

I've seen a dev confirm it. This is also my experience with some DoT spells that are easier to measure, but I can't confirm for all spells.

Great, thanks, good to know. Does Might bump the damage too?

Might is a bit inconsistent between spells - for some it does, for some it does not.

At first I wanted to go with a Hunting Bow until I found a good pistol, but with my Wood Elf The Disappointer gave a better total accuracy then the hunting bow, go figure. Still once I could add a enchantment to The Disappointer ( Accuracy, because that was what I could do at that moment. ) The difference was there, even more so due to that Fire arms mod I found on the Nexus.  original.gif

Oh god that firearms mod is ludicrous, is that the one that lets you dual weild the blunderbuss? At that point it seems like you're not even playing the same game.

Instead, you're playing a game where elf!Clint Eastwood murders everything.

EVERYTHING.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

At first I wanted to go with a Hunting Bow until I found a good pistol, but with my Wood Elf The Disappointer gave a better total accuracy then the hunting bow, go figure. Still once I could add a enchantment to The Disappointer ( Accuracy, because that was what I could do at that moment. ) The difference was there, even more so due to that Fire arms mod I found on the Nexus.  :)

It allows to dual wield pistols ( In theory. ) But I am not interested in dual wielding pistols. Besides I made a backup of the files that are changed by that mod so if at any time I think it becomes ridiculous ... then I can always switch back. ( And I can only find out if it is ridiculous by trying it out. :)

Some thoughts/comments on your build:

Silent Scream beats Soul Shock as AoE DPS spell. More damage per focus, bigger AoE, stun on initial target

Penetrating Shot. Are you positive that the 5 bonus damage per pellet end up giving more focus than the -20% attack speed cost you? Feels iffy to me. Same with the Lead Spitter: do the 3 damage per pellet affect Focus generation? What's the focus gain per damage?

And in terms of DoTs. Someone tested the way the Rogue's Open Wounds ability works. He found out that it was only affected by Intelligence, which prolonged the DoT, thus resulting in more overall damage (but actually less DPS as the damage per tick is always the same). Might be that it's the same for every other kind of DoT effect

Edited by Eos

• 1 month later...

Some thoughts/comments on your build:

Silent Scream beats Soul Shock as AoE DPS spell. More damage per focus, bigger AoE, stun on initial target

Penetrating Shot. Are you positive that the 5 bonus damage per pellet end up giving more focus than the -20% attack speed cost you? Feels iffy to me. Same with the Lead Spitter: do the 3 damage per pellet affect Focus generation? What's the focus gain per damage?

And in terms of DoTs. Someone tested the way the Rogue's Open Wounds ability works. He found out that it was only affected by Intelligence, which prolonged the DoT, thus resulting in more overall damage (but actually less DPS as the damage per tick is always the same). Might be that it's the same for every other kind of DoT effect

Hah, well, this build is somewhat outdated now due to the patch anyway, but yes, before, Penetrating Shot was the better choice *with blunderbuss* because your goal was to use the blunderbuss to build focus, not so much for damage; the idea was you weren't firing more than once or twice per fight anyway. 

Silent Scream is decent in my experience but didn't cast as fast as Soul Shock did, and you get it a lot later.

Otherwise I'm not sure the choices in this build are "optimal" any more given the recent patches, but I don't think this is a "bad" build either.

Penetrating Shot (and its melee counterpart) is basically worth it on anything, but it's especially worth it if you're using a Blunderbuss. And Lead Splitter is still one of the best ranged weapons in the game against mid-to-low DR targets. The patch just means you should carry a Pistol in your other weapon slot for high DR targets. Or use a War Bow, which is very close to the Ruffian guns in damage output and possibly better depending on a few factors.

Silent Scream's slower casting speed was non-starter for me as well. In theory it's like a Mental Binding that does damage, but in practice it's much slower than you want it to be. Even with the nerf, Soul Shock is still pretty good if you can't/won't make Antipathetic Field work for you.

Overall, I think your build is still pretty spot on. The only thing I'd quibble about is the talent order, and that largely comes down to preference.

• 1 month later...

How would you adjust this build for the 2.0 perception change? Obviously the +accuracy would help, but is it worth it?

First, you probably wouldn't, since Blunderbi are no longer the unquestionably broken Cipher-weapon they once were.

Second, we know next to nothing about the attribute changes coming in 2.0, making speculation on adaptations of builds completely meaningless.

t50aJUd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Sorry, i'm new here.

What weapon and armor of choice for ranged Cipher now in 1.06?

Is this Cipher build still viable?

Yes it's still more than viable. Blunderbuss is still a good choice, just not the unquestionably superior choice as Luckman points out. I still like it, especially since Carow Golan (a drug) still grants a flat 4 Focus per shot, and blunderbusses fire 6 lower damage shots at once instead of a single high damage shot. I use this and the other Focus-increasing drug for the really tough fights.

But basically, you could make a case for any of the ranged weapons for cipher. Faster (like Hunting Bows) give you a more consistent stream of Focus, while big guns give you big bursts of Focus. Choose what you like, just adjust your talents accordingly. Take Penetrating Shot for Hunting Bows or Blunderbusses (since they both do low damage per shot and need the most help to penetrate enemy DR), take Gunner for any guns (which include crossbows and arbalests in this game).

For armor, I'm currently wearing the best robes I can find for all of my ranged characters. Eventually I may even just enchant some clothing to get the highest speed possible, but I've just started Act 3 so I don't know if there are other good unique robes beside the ones I found in

Od Nua level 3.

• Like 1