I'm really glad I took Mental Fortress on Eder

I haven't had too much trouble with this. It's certainly one value of having Pallegina on your time. Between her and Durance, any bad effects get suppressed for either longer than the actual debuff or until combat concludes.

... you can't use Liberating Exhortation/Suppress Affliction against Dominate/Confuse/Charm. Those abilities can only target allies, and the ailments in question turn your allies into hostiles.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Major debilitating attacks like dominate and paralysis should probably give lesser related effects on Graze, rather than just reduced duration. So Charm and Dominate could give say Dazed or Confused on graze (still at half duration). Paralysis might give Hobbled or Stuck, that sort of thing.

That would be fine, at least not make it work, but just to a lesser extent. 

Seems that Dominate attacks are so prevalent in Act 3 so far it's maddening (no pun intended)

I just did a quest called Prisoner of Ice and every Pale elf sorceress in there Dominated half my squad.

Interesting.  When I did the quest referenced in the spoiler, I didn't have anywhere near that much trouble.  Of course, tactics might play a part here.  My general tactic tends to be to have every single party member have a ranged weapon, and to open a battle with a concentrated volley.  Sometimes on the first thing I see, and sometimes if I see a spellcaster, I focus on that instead.  In the area mentioned in the spoiler, I was nuking the spellcasters the instant I saw them, often taking one off the map almost the instant the battle started, not giving them a chance to cast any spell.  Add to this, the fact that I armed my lead tank, Eder, with the best blunderbuss available, which is devastating against low DR mages who have no buffs in place.  Sneak into room, see enemy mage, ba-ba-ba-boom!  Enemy spellcaster chunked!  Next customer!!! 

When you're dealing with an enemy group that has some spellcasters, taking one out at the very start of that battle is a major advantage for your party.  It may almost seem like a waste to use that much firepower on a single target.  But if you're afraid of what those spellcasters may do, it's better to kill one spellcaster than end up with 2 wounded ones, since wounded ones' spells will be no different from those cast by fully healthy mages.  Better to have some overkill and get that first spellcaster pushing up daisies ASAP.

I don't really feel the arguments that you need x will* before it's any use. Of course you need tremendous amounts to be completely safe, but I'm sure you give a significant amount of ****s if your own spells crit instead of grazing, so why not enemy spells? The fight isn't lost just because one brief dominate got through. I think +10 is a notable bonus. I take Bull's Will on almost all my characters at some point.

* Second time I read that domination targets deflection, any truth to this?

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

I think it is more debilitating if you have five glass cannons and one super-deflection tank. If the only tank gets dominated the glass cannons all get wiped.

If you have multiple frontline melee types losing one to a dominate or even a death does not doom the entire team, you have some redundancy. As the SEALS say "One is none"

Well I guess my party is going to have a rough go in late game if Domination attacks are the norm, because Durance has the second highest with 74.

Is it true that Graze's still Confuse/Dominate/Charm but for lesser duration? That is still flat out stupid if so. 

PotD would suck so bad for the player if it didn't. Trust me, we're better off this way.

Player relies on debuffs/CC way more than any of the enemies in the game do.

There are some counters to charm/dominate as well, priests have Prayer of Treachery - a late-game spell that gives +50 to defenses against them.

Also Circle of Protection early on gives +15 to all defenses, might be worth it. Personally I try to CC enemies that charm/dominate first.

Edited by Odd Hermit

Target enemy spellcasters or charmers with your opening salvo(s)/spells and make them a priority. This worked well for me.

How can anyone in their right mind try to ship a multimillion dollar product without making absolutely sure that they don't upset all their players with a degree in Medieval English Linguistics?

Everyone in my party has good stealth scores for this very reason; inch your crowd controllers up close and have them dominate the battlefield before your enemies get the chance to react. From there keep your guys scattered so that if someone gets charmed it isnt' hitting your entire team. Brute force will save isn't going to ever be reliable enough to go that route, but a stealth blitzkrieg of magic works pretty well. 

• Like 1

Mental fortress doesn't literally turn Eder into a mental fortress, just increases his saving throws by 10. Saving throws are kind of a last resort anyways, you should be proactively targeting threatening enemies with knockdowns, blinds, paralyzes, your own domination, and focus fire. The combat would be very boring if passive defenses did the trick and one talent pick meant you could ignore an entire class of enemy threat.

I know this doesn't help PREVENT the status effects but if you happen to get hit by one durance an ability that suppresses harmful status effects. I think it's second tier and called suppress something or other. I had to use it the other day when fighting a bunch of casters. It's am aoe so it hits more than one too.

I know this doesn't help PREVENT the status effects but if you happen to get hit by one durance an ability that suppresses harmful status effects. I think it's second tier and called suppress something or other. I had to use it the other day when fighting a bunch of casters. It's am aoe so it hits more than one too.

Yeah, it's great and all except for how you can't use it on Confused, Charmed, or Dominated allies.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Mh, didn't really notice it to be a problem in my playthrough.

Nasty enemies can't do nasty things if they are preemptively knocked down / paralyzed / dominated / confused / focus fired etc.

Figured smart target selection made all the difference ... and it did. /shrug

Major debilitating attacks like dominate and paralysis should probably give lesser related effects on Graze, rather than just reduced duration. So Charm and Dominate could give say Dazed or Confused on graze (still at half duration). Paralysis might give Hobbled or Stuck, that sort of thing.

I like this. Especially in case of effects like Paralysis and Petrify, where shorter duration from graze doesn't matter much. The victim will usually be dead before the spell expires.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's great and all except for how you can't use it on Confused, Charmed, or Dominated allies.

Haha, wait -- it doesn't work, because charmed allies count as enemies ? And let me guess - even if you use Paladin's "deprive the unworthy", all you will accomplish is disabling the POSITIVE effects on the charmed ally ? So... they're pretty much doomed. No way in the game to help them.

I have an idea for a Barbarian ability countering charmed/confused/dominated! "Knock some sense into (charactername)". The icon is the fist icon. Hits the frenemy in the head, removing the charm effect.

There. Finally a way to remove these!

Edited by b0rsuk

Bah , domination is generally not so OP, IMHO.

However, it's very annoying because in all my cases the first thing a dominated character does is switch to their 2nd weapon set.  In some ways this is good - they wate time switching weapon sets and normally that set is far less powerful, so you don't dame a lot of damage from your own characters.

But it is a pain in the rear to remember to set them back.  I can't count the number of time I had Eder click on a guy and I wondered why he wasn't rushing into the fray - oh it's becasue he firing with that crappy bow he used when we were battling the shrooms last fight.

I had thought of putting that really terrible weapon (avoiding spoilers) in a characters hands just to make sure they would do almost no damage when they were dominated.

I haven't had too much trouble with this. It's certainly one value of having Pallegina on your time. Between her and Durance, any bad effects get suppressed for either longer than the actual debuff or until combat concludes.

... you can't use Liberating Exhortation/Suppress Affliction against Dominate/Confuse/Charm. Those abilities can only target allies, and the ailments in question turn your allies into hostiles.

I'm not sure about that. I can distinctly remember using these for such a case. I seem to recall the AI using it to counter my charm/dominates as well. I'll have to test this. I suppose they could be used pro-actively when combat begins against opponents notorious for charm though. I'll have to test this.