IE mod should be freely available to all

Jondalar

Question

Came across a game breaking bug where Azo is missing in the quest the man who waits. The only work around that might work requires me to download the IE modding tool, problem is that I can only find it at the nexus website and in order to download i have to pay out over 50 bucks! We should have it for free, it's part of the game. It's disgusting, the solution to a game breaking bug is right there but obsidian wants me to pay through the nose just to make the game playable again! Wtf?! I'm disappointed , finally I thought, here is a game developer who cares about the fans, once again I was mistaken, obsidian is just as greedy as ubisoft.

Explore

The nexus account creation is a bit confusing, i will agree with you on that there....Like i said, i agree that the option to do so is not made obvious at all, probably in a ploy to get as much people to actually pay $$$ as they can, but next time read instead of raging.

Unforunately, Nexus do not allow account creation for those who use Tor (and presumably other online privacy tools). Now that is their perogative, but it does confirm the post title as correct - mods on Nexus not being freely available. And their method of pushing premium accounts is really just as sleazy (though not illegal) as the behaviour of some "free" download sites.

Not Obsidian's fault, but a plea for any modmakers out there - please provide mirrors using sites that don't require accounts. Also some of the BG2 modding forums should be willing to provide hosting.

Yeah you do have a great point and on top of that, wtf? is it really so hard for Obsidian to just create the IE mod themselves and then just give it to the consumer and say you can use this tool or not its up to you wether you want to use it or not, why do I have to go through Nexus and go through all the hassle of registration to obtain this is my quesion?? and weirdly enough, im now getting denied acess to the file because, the account I just registered with Nexus isnt working??

Ummm, again, the IE Mod is a mod. Do you expect Obsidian to recreate every single mod that anyone dreams up just because someone wants them to? A mod is an optional modification to the game created by fans.

Now, I don't know about the bug you're experiencing, sorry about that, but I'm sure that if it's actually an unfixed bug then Obsidian is working to fix it as soon as possible. As soon as they've fixed it, it will be in an official patch, which will have nothing to do with the IE Mod. I get that you're upset about a bug, that's reasonable, and I'm not sure how exactly the IE Mod fixes the bug, but regardless of that Obsidian is undoubtedly working on officially fixing it as quickly as possible. Attempting to take the workaround or fix from the IE Mod and implement it would almost certainly take just as long as (if not longer than) whatever way of fixing it they're currently working on.

Listen mate, I have no idea about how mods work or how to create them,I'm just a casual gamer, I was refered to use console comands as a workaround to the problem as stated as above. 

As far as I'm aware you first have to activate the comands by using the "IRoll20's" then your enabled to use certain comands but the other comands like the main one I want to use which apparently forces the quest to complete is locked unless you have the IE Mod. If you have possibly a solution or anything positive to say, let me know dude, id love to hear it.

It wasn't my intent to be overly critical, I was just trying to explain why there was no way that Obsidian would make an official version of the IE Mod. Anyway, it seems like the console command workaround you're looking for does indeed require the IE Mod, and that the only other option would be waiting for an official fix in a patch. If you can't get access through Nexus, then hopefully someone will upload the file for you. I did a search for the file itself online, but the only results were hosted by Nexus, so no luck there. Hope you get your issue resolved.

"Forsooth, methinks you are no ordinary talking chicken!"

-Protagonist, Baldur's Gate

The nexus account creation is a bit confusing, i will agree with you on that there....Like i said, i agree that the option to do so is not made obvious at all, probably in a ploy to get as much people to actually pay $$$ as they can, but next time read instead of raging.

Unforunately, Nexus do not allow account creation for those who use Tor (and presumably other online privacy tools). Now that is their perogative, but it does confirm the post title as correct - mods on Nexus not being freely available. And their method of pushing premium accounts is really just as sleazy (though not illegal) as the behaviour of some "free" download sites.

Not Obsidian's fault, but a plea for any modmakers out there - please provide mirrors using sites that don't require accounts. Also some of the BG2 modding forums should be willing to provide hosting.

Yeah you do have a great point and on top of that, wtf? is it really so hard for Obsidian to just create the IE mod themselves and then just give it to the consumer and say you can use this tool or not its up to you wether you want to use it or not, why do I have to go through Nexus and go through all the hassle of registration to obtain this is my quesion?? and weirdly enough, im now getting denied acess to the file because, the account I just registered with Nexus isnt working??

Ummm, again, the IE Mod is a mod. Do you expect Obsidian to recreate every single mod that anyone dreams up just because someone wants them to? A mod is an optional modification to the game created by fans.

Now, I don't know about the bug you're experiencing, sorry about that, but I'm sure that if it's actually an unfixed bug then Obsidian is working to fix it as soon as possible. As soon as they've fixed it, it will be in an official patch, which will have nothing to do with the IE Mod. I get that you're upset about a bug, that's reasonable, and I'm not sure how exactly the IE Mod fixes the bug, but regardless of that Obsidian is undoubtedly working on officially fixing it as quickly as possible. Attempting to take the workaround or fix from the IE Mod and implement it would almost certainly take just as long as (if not longer than) whatever way of fixing it they're currently working on.

Listen mate, I have no idea about how mods work or how to create them,I'm just a casual gamer, I was refered to use console comands as a workaround to the problem as stated as above. 

As far as I'm aware you first have to activate the comands by using the "IRoll20's" then your enabled to use certain comands but the other comands like the main one I want to use which apparently forces the quest to complete is locked unless you have the IE Mod. If you have possibly a solution or anything positive to say, let me know dude, id love to hear it.

It wasn't my intent to be overly critical, I was just trying to explain why there was no way that Obsidian would make an official version of the IE Mod. Anyway, it seems like the console command workaround you're looking for does indeed require the IE Mod, and that the only other option would be waiting for an official fix in a patch. If you can't get access through Nexus, then hopefully someone will upload the file for you. I did a search for the file itself online, but the only results were hosted by Nexus, so no luck there. Hope you get your issue resolved.

Okay, thanks for letting me know, Im just confused, because a solution to a serious glitch is right there, and I have to download this tool to rectify it, Is it so hard for Obsidian to develop this tool themselves? I mean they created the whole game didnt they, why are they relying on a 3rd party mod deleloper like Nexus bring this tool to the consumer?

Explore

Okay, thanks for letting me know, Im just confused, because a solution to a serious glitch is right there, and I have to download this tool to rectify it, Is it so hard for Obsidian to develop this tool themselves? I mean they created the whole game didnt they, why are they relying on a 3rd party mod deleloper like Nexus bring this tool to the consumer

I don't think it would be too hard, but they may see it as a waste of time that could better be used fixing the actual issue. The console command you're looking to use just tricks the game into thinking that a quest has been resolved. Once they've fixed the bug, it won't be necessary anymore. So, they don't expect you to go get the mod to work around the bug, they're essentially expecting you to wait until they fix the bug instead. If they spend time making temporary workarounds available, they have less time for fixing the underlying bugs themselves.

"Forsooth, methinks you are no ordinary talking chicken!"

-Protagonist, Baldur's Gate

Okay, thanks for letting me know, Im just confused, because a solution to a serious glitch is right there, and I have to download this tool to rectify it, Is it so hard for Obsidian to develop this tool themselves? I mean they created the whole game didnt they, why are they relying on a 3rd party mod deleloper like Nexus bring this tool to the consumer

I don't think it would be too hard, but they may see it as a waste of time that could better be used fixing the actual issue. The console command you're looking to use just tricks the game into thinking that a quest has been resolved. Once they've fixed the bug, it won't be necessary anymore. So, they don't expect you to go get the mod to work around the bug, they're essentially expecting you to wait until they fix the bug instead. If they spend time making temporary workarounds available, they have less time for fixing the underlying bugs themselves.

Okay, thanks mate, that makes total sense

Explore

Obsidian has nothing to do with the IE Mod, they have no responsibility to make your life easier with regards to obtaining or manipulating it. If you have a problem downloading it, speak to somebody on the Nexus or kindly ask a modder to provide a separate mirror.

The sense of entitlement is truly ridiculous.

Do you work for Obsidian?

Good luck getting assistance, I'll continue to download, update and enjoy the IE mod for my personal use.

So jealous youve been able to download the IE mod, on both the Baldurs Gate EE and Icewind Dale EE series, the IE Keeper was always availible for download but dunno whats happening here, sorry

Edited by Jondalar

Explore

No, with the IE Mod you don't need to use "IRoll20's". Using "IRoll20's" will also disable achievements:

http://rien-ici.com/iemod/console/

Check point 19 for the command you need

No, with the IE Mod you don't need to use "IRoll20's". Using "IRoll20's" will also disable achievements:

http://rien-ici.com/iemod/console/

Check point 19 for the command you need

Oh, ive read through that about 10 times over now but thanks anyway lol

Explore

You don't need Tor to register with Nexus or to download the mod.  Moot point--end of discussion.  When you want to download from Nexus, turn off Tor.  The software is available from Nexus and free of charge. 

Besides that, no self-respecting person who thinks he's a "gamer" should be without a free Nexus account--the site has hundreds if not thousands of mods for dozens of games.  I've had a free Nexus account for many years and Nexus has never once "pushed" a premium account on me.  Here's the thing some people have no concept of, however: putting up a server from which people can download game mods costs money--the person who does that cannot do it for free.  Nexus is a great site--it utilizes dozens of servers which have to be paid for by somebody.  It utilizes great software like the Nexus Mod Manager that is constantly being improved and has to be paid for--software doesn't grow on trees in the wild.  So criticizing them for asking for donations is idiotic in the extreme--without those funds Nexus would not exist.  You don't have to contribute (which you can do for far less than $50, btw) if you don't want to--you can still join for free and download for free. So what if they ask you to turn of Tor as a condition before you can download?  If you want the mod, you'll do that gladly. 

The thing to remember is this: just because you have a computer and you buy a game doesn't mean that anybody owes you anything for "free."  You are not entitled to anything for free simply because you exist and you want it.  That's a valuable lesson that some people never learn.

• Like 2

It's very well known that I don't make mistakes, so if you should stumble across the odd error here and there in what I have written, you may immediately deduce--quite correctly--that I did not write it... :biggrin:

Your right, listen people my whole life I thought I was a self respecting "gamer" but this person, who i think works for Obsidian?.. I dunno, anyway, no he's right, I am a peice of sh#@t, how dare I expect this simple tool to be made availible to me, when i pre purchased the game. Of course! your right dude I should have asumed that in order to fix a game breaking bug you need to look for a different 3rd party mod developer to obtain it, my apologies guys, I should have seen that coming I guess.. lol

Explore

You don't need Tor to register with Nexus or to download the mod.  Moot point--end of discussion.  When you want to download from Nexus, turn off Tor.  The software is available from Nexus and free of charge. 

Besides that, no self-respecting person who thinks he's a "gamer" should be without a free Nexus account--the site has hundreds if not thousands of mods for dozens of games.  I've had a free Nexus account for many years and Nexus has never once "pushed" a premium account on me.  Here's the thing some people have no concept of, however: putting up a server from which people can download game mods costs money--the person who does that cannot do it for free.  Nexus is a great site--it utilizes dozens of servers which have to be paid for by somebody.  It utilizes great software like the Nexus Mod Manager that is constantly being improved and has to be paid for--software doesn't grow on trees in the wild.  So criticizing them for asking for donations is idiotic in the extreme--without those funds Nexus would not exist.  You don't have to contribute (which you can do for far less than $50, btw) if you don't want to--you can still join for free and download for free. So what if they ask you to turn of Tor as a condition before you can download?  If you want the mod, you'll do that gladly. 

The thing to remember is this: just because you have a computer and you buy a game doesn't mean that anybody owes you anything for "free."  You are not entitled to anything for free simply because you exist and you want it.  That's a valuable lesson that some people never learn.

Honeslty the second you said "no self-respecting person who thinks he's a gamer..', I immediately decided to ignore everything you said afterwards. That line prefaces self justifying elitist bull**** 95% of the time.

• Like 1

Honeslty the second you said "no self-respecting person who thinks he's a gamer..', I immediately decided to ignore everything you said afterwards. That line prefaces self justifying elitist bull**** 95% of the time.

Um, yeah dude your right, those other posts wernt directed at you btw lol

• Like 1

Explore

To be fair, the guy might have his reasons for using tor or even having to use tor, for reasons such as circumventing censorship, or privacy reasons.

So it might be he simply does not have the option of reaching the nexus site without the use of tor.

Also, the implication that you can't be "self-respecting" or a "gamer" without a nexus account is utter nonsense - i agree that having a nexus account is a great help if you play any of the games they offer mods for, but having an account there is in no way a mandatory requirement for either of those things.

If you play games, you are a gamer. And respect is something everyone is entitled to, until they prove otherwise - respect is not something one can gain by adhering to some arbitrary qualifications a random person or instance (in this case you) makes up on the spot.

The only problem i see with the original post is that OP mistakenly took the nexus/IEmod to be the same thing as obsidian, instead of a standalone website/mod.

On the point of not being owed anything for "free" once you buy a game - at least you are owed a product that works as advertised, a game-breaking bug is a clear defect to the product, though admittedly, this falls totally on obsidian, and the obligation to fix this lies with them.

TL,DR: Yeah, OP went off on a bit of a tangent with his rant, which i imagine was fueled mostly by an equal parts misunderstanding about nexus/IEmod not being related to Obsidian and anger at the fact he encountered a bug that prevented him from progressing in the game, but you're the one that's being condescending here, and you would do well to get off your high horse.  :yes:

To OP : As far as solving your problem goes, I've already explained how to make a free account on the nexus in one of my earlier posts, though you might have to access their site without the use of TOR. if that really is not an option to you, there's a limited few things you can do :

It might be that you missed some kind of quest trigger somewhere. try and talk to the head warden (the statue) on the main floor again, see if you can ask to get access to the patient ward during dialogue, and try talking to Freyol in the patient ward itself, who should point you to the location he is standing, in hopes of (re)triggering whatever option makes Caedman Azo spawn.

If that doesn't work, i can't think of any other solutions then either waiting on an official patch by obsidian to fix this problem, restarting from an earlier save before you encountered this bug, or if you don't have an earlier save to restart completely in the worst case.

Addendum : After digging into the game files somewhat, i can find reference to 4 quest states before one should be able to talk to Caedman Azo, described as following : 

1 -"Speak to Ethelmoer" : puts n_Sanitarium_Quest_Stage at a value of 1, so i assume this is what starts off the quest and sets it as active, moving on to quest state 2 after talking to Ethelmoer (statue on the 1st floor) for the first time.

2- "Question the Animancers" : sets Quest stage at 3 once completed - as far as i remember this quest stage completes when you pick up the documents from the locked box in caedman's Azo's office (the room just to the right before the entrance door to the patient wards, same room that has the NPC called Riply in it) grabbing the documents (might need to read them too) should advance the quest state to a value of 3.

3-"Talk to Ethelmoer about Azo" : After retrieving the documents you have to talk to talk to the statue again to advance to the next quest stage (4)

4- "Confront Azo" : i'm assuming this is the point where Azo spawns and is accessible. so that's 3 seperate occasions where you could have failed to properly trigger the quest to advance : not starting the quest by talking to Ethelmoer in the first place, not getting the documents from the locked box, and not returning to ethelmoer after grabbing the documents.

Edited by Xosmi

xosmi.gif

You don't need Tor to register with Nexus or to download the mod. Moot point--end of discussion. When you want to download from Nexus, turn off Tor. The software is available from Nexus and free of charge.

Won't work for those who choose to contribute to Tor (a volunteer-run network) by running an exit node, since Nexus would prevent account creation via direct connection also.

Besides that, no self-respecting person who thinks he's a "gamer" should be without a free Nexus account--the site has hundreds if not thousands of mods for dozens of games. I've had a free Nexus account for many years and Nexus has never once "pushed" a premium account on me. Here's the thing some people have no concept of, however: putting up a server from which people can download game mods costs money--the person who does that cannot do it for free.

As such a "self-respecting gamer" (me, I'm more the self-abusing type...), you'll no doubt be aware of all the other modding forums like Spellhold Studios, Gibberlings3, PocketPlane or the Chosen of Mystra who offer mods for download without requiring payment or membership. And who have been doing so for longer than the Nexus.

...So what if they ask you to turn of Tor as a condition before you can download? If you want the mod, you'll do that gladly.

Tor is an important privacy tool, not only capable of frustrating TLA agencies but also making it harder for companies like Facebook or Google to profile you (plus the dozens of other tracking services like Omniture, WebTrends, Nielsen Netratings, CoreMetrics, Scorecardresearch or Effective Measure).

Sites that choose to block Tor are in effect acting to support wholesale surveillance (both state and commercial) and the dangers to privacy, civil liberties and, in some cases, democratic government that it presents.

The thing to remember is this: just because you have a computer and you buy a game doesn't mean that anybody owes you anything for "free." You are not entitled to anything for free simply because you exist and you want it. That's a valuable lesson that some people never learn.

And what relevance does that have to anything posted in this thread? Edited by AstralWanderer