IE mod should be freely available to all

Jondalar

Question

Came across a game breaking bug where Azo is missing in the quest the man who waits. The only work around that might work requires me to download the IE modding tool, problem is that I can only find it at the nexus website and in order to download i have to pay out over 50 bucks! We should have it for free, it's part of the game. It's disgusting, the solution to a game breaking bug is right there but obsidian wants me to pay through the nose just to make the game playable again! Wtf?! I'm disappointed , finally I thought, here is a game developer who cares about the fans, once again I was mistaken, obsidian is just as greedy as ubisoft.

Explore

Came across a game breaking bug where Azo is missing in the quest the man who waits. The only work around that might work requires me to download the IE modding tool, problem is that I can only find it at the nexus website and in order to download i have to pay out over 50 bucks! We should have it for free, it's part of the game. It's disgusting, the solution to a game breaking bug is right there but obsidian wants me to pay through the nose just to make the game playable again! Wtf?! I'm disappointed , finally I thought, here is a game developer who cares about the fans, once again I was mistaken, obsidian is just as greedy as ubisoft.

Dude, you need to calm down.

First of all, Obsidian has nothing to do with Nexus, so they make zero money from them.

Second, and most importantly, you DO NOT have to pay to create a Nexus account. On the registration page, it states right at the top:

"Select any packages you would like to purchase. You will be directed to the payment screen once your account has been created and you have logged in.

If you do not want to buy Premium Membership simply skip this step by pressing "Create Account" at the bottom of the page."

Just scroll to the bottom and click on the Create Account button. Create your free account and DL all the mods you want.

Edited by Ink Blot
  • Like 1

You just made my day dude. I laughed so hard that I blew milk out from my nose.

• Like 3

Dude, I downloaded it from the Nexus and all I needed to do was make an account. Just use a burner e-mail and sign up.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Obsidian is not related in any way to the development of the IE mod.

Like the people before me said, Nexus =/= obsidian

The nexus account creation is a bit confusing, i will agree with you on that there. 

But, even though its a bit hidden out of sight, during account creation on the nexus, at step 1, just don't select any of the $ package options, and just press the  "Create Account" button at the bottom. this way you can make an account without paying. all you lose out on is access to their premium download servers, meaning your downloads from the nexus will not be as fast, but IE mod in't that big anyway so who cares.

Oh, and the site will display ads, but if you use adblock, not even that.

Like i said, i agree that the option to do so is not made obvious at all, probably in a ploy to get as much people to actually pay $$$ as they can, but next time read instead of raging.

Edited by Xosmi

xosmi.gif

Obsidian is not related in any way to the development of the IE mod.

...unfortunately.

t50aJUd.jpg

K, sorry to Obsidian guess I over reacted and I was wrong, cheers for letting me know people.

But in my defence, it should be more easily accessible with no extra registration required to obtain it.

Edited by Jondalar

Explore

K, sorry to Obsidian guess I over reacted and I was wrong, cheers for letting me know people.

But in my defence, it should be more easily accessible with no extra registration required to obtain it.

That's something you really should take up with The Nexus, no doubt. :lol:

t50aJUd.jpg

The nexus account creation is a bit confusing, i will agree with you on that there....Like i said, i agree that the option to do so is not made obvious at all, probably in a ploy to get as much people to actually pay $$$ as they can, but next time read instead of raging.

Unforunately, Nexus do not allow account creation for those who use Tor (and presumably other online privacy tools). Now that is their perogative, but it does confirm the post title as correct - mods on Nexus not being freely available. And their method of pushing premium accounts is really just as sleazy (though not illegal) as the behaviour of some "free" download sites.

Not Obsidian's fault, but a plea for any modmakers out there - please provide mirrors using sites that don't require accounts. Also some of the BG2 modding forums should be willing to provide hosting.

• Like 1

The nexus account creation is a bit confusing, i will agree with you on that there....Like i said, i agree that the option to do so is not made obvious at all, probably in a ploy to get as much people to actually pay $$$ as they can, but next time read instead of raging.

Unforunately, Nexus do not allow account creation for those who use Tor (and presumably other online privacy tools). Now that is their perogative, but it does confirm the post title as correct - mods on Nexus not being freely available. And their method of pushing premium accounts is really just as sleazy (though not illegal) as the behaviour of some "free" download sites.

Not Obsidian's fault, but a plea for any modmakers out there - please provide mirrors using sites that don't require accounts. Also some of the BG2 modding forums should be willing to provide hosting.

Yeah you do have a great point and on top of that, wtf? is it really so hard for Obsidian to just create the IE mod themselves and then just give it to the consumer and say you can use this tool or not its up to you wether you want to use it or not, why do I have to go through Nexus and go through all the hassle of registration to obtain this is my quesion?? and weirdly enough, im now getting denied acess to the file because, the account I just registered with Nexus isnt working??

Explore

Yeah you do have a great point and on top of that, wtf? is it really so hard for Obsidian to just create the IE mod themselves and then just give it to the consumer and say you can use this tool or not its up to you wether you want to use it or not, why do I have to go through Nexus and go through all the hassle of registration to obtain this is my quesion?? and weirdly enough, im now getting denied acess to the file because, the account I just registered with Nexus isnt working??

What are you talking about???

First, a nexus account is FREE and you do NOT need a premium account to download anything...  I've been on the nexus for years already and, except for some site glitches (happens on EVERY site, someday or another) I had no major problems with the Nexus...

For two, this is a mod...  You can MOD it, if YOU like...  Obsidian made a game, and it's the way they wanted it to be...  Some people (myself included mind you) do not like, one thing or another, so, someone created a mod for it...  Making it official would require a lot more QA testing (and I'm sure they have their hands full already) and it would no longer be a mod but "options"!  But it's still a mod!  And such things aren't officially supported!  Live with it, I guess...

P.S.  If you want it to be free for all...  Why not download it yourself and share it over a web page or something?

Edited by Vortaka

Ummm, again, the IE Mod is a mod. Do you expect Obsidian to recreate every single mod that anyone dreams up just because someone wants them to? A mod is an optional modification to the game created by fans.

Now, I don't know about the bug you're experiencing, sorry about that, but I'm sure that if it's actually an unfixed bug then Obsidian is working to fix it as soon as possible. As soon as they've fixed it, it will be in an official patch, which will have nothing to do with the IE Mod. I get that you're upset about a bug, that's reasonable, and I'm not sure how exactly the IE Mod fixes the bug, but regardless of that Obsidian is undoubtedly working on officially fixing it as quickly as possible. Attempting to take the workaround or fix from the IE Mod and implement it would almost certainly take just as long as (if not longer than) whatever way of fixing it they're currently working on.

"Forsooth, methinks you are no ordinary talking chicken!"

-Protagonist, Baldur's Gate

What are you talking about???

First, a nexus account is FREE and you do NOT need a premium account to download anything...  I've been on the nexus for years already and, except for some site glitches (happens on EVERY site, someday or another) I had no major problems with the Nexus...

For two, this is a mod...  You can MOD it, if YOU like...  Obsidian made a game, and it's the way they wanted it to be...  Some people (myself included mind you) do not like, one thing or another, so, someone created a mod for it...  Making it official would require a lot more QA testing (and I'm sure they have their hands full already) and it would no longer be a mod but "options"!  But it's still a mod!  And such things aren't officially supported!  Live with it, I guess...

P.S.  If you want it to be free for all...  Why not download it yourself and share it over a web page or something?

Yes and I just simply pointed out that I've registered with Nexus and after all the hassle of just trying to get my hands on this file, ive been given a run around through techical faults on the behalf of Nexus. Could you possibly, or is there anyone out there who could provide me with this elusive IE mod file?

Explore

Ummm, again, the IE Mod is a mod. Do you expect Obsidian to recreate every single mod that anyone dreams up just because someone wants them to? A mod is an optional modification to the game created by fans.

Now, I don't know about the bug you're experiencing, sorry about that, but I'm sure that if it's actually an unfixed bug then Obsidian is working to fix it as soon as possible. As soon as they've fixed it, it will be in an official patch, which will have nothing to do with the IE Mod. I get that you're upset about a bug, that's reasonable, and I'm not sure how exactly the IE Mod fixes the bug, but regardless of that Obsidian is undoubtedly working on officially fixing it as quickly as possible. Attempting to take the workaround or fix from the IE Mod and implement it would almost certainly take just as long as (if not longer than) whatever way of fixing it they're currently working on.

Listen mate, I have no idea about how mods work or how to create them,I'm just a casual gamer, I was refered to use console comands as a workaround to the problem as stated as above. 

As far as I'm aware you first have to activate the comands by using the "IRoll20's" then your enabled to use certain comands but the other comands like the main one I want to use which apparently forces the quest to complete is locked unless you have the IE Mod. If you have possibly a solution or anything positive to say, let me know dude, id love to hear it.

Explore

Well, I retested it (to be sure) and nexus works fine...  True, I already have an account...  What OS and version do you want

Ah, its Windows 7 i think mate

I reread your original post, and I understand a little more...  I can tell you that, I am stuck too at that quest because when I finish it, everybody attacks me!  It's a known bug, unfixable by IE (duh) and I will have to wait for version 1.05...

But like you said, it's a workaround, not a fix...  But I hope you can get your hands on the mod...

Edited by Vortaka

Obsidian has nothing to do with the IE Mod, they have no responsibility to make your life easier with regards to obtaining or manipulating it. If you have a problem downloading it, speak to somebody on the Nexus or kindly ask a modder to provide a separate mirror.

The sense of entitlement is truly ridiculous.

Edited by View619
  • Like 1

Well, I retested it (to be sure) and nexus works fine...  True, I already have an account...  What OS and version do you want

Ah, its Windows 7 i think mate

I reread your original post, and I understand a little more...  I can tell you that, I am stuck too at that quest because when I finish it, everybody attacks me!  It's a known bug, unfixable by IE (duh) and I will have to wait for version 1.05...

But like you said, it's a workaround, not a fix...  But I hope you can get your hands on the mod...

I know about that other Glitch on this quest but I'm on a different one lol, could you believe, there are 2 game breaking glitches on this same quest as far as im aware, I havent met Azo yet and I'd LOVE to meet the guy

Explore

Obsidian has nothing to do with the IE Mod, they have no responsibility to make your life easier with regards to obtaining or manipulating it. If you have a problem downloading it, speak to somebody on the Nexus or kindly ask a modder to provide a separate mirror.

The sense of entitlement is truly ridiculous.

Do you work for Obsidian?

Explore