Why did Kana take Field Triage?

I don't see the benefits of this skill, anyone know what it's good for? Healing for 50 health seems, well, completely useless.

Update:

okay I got a good response, I see why this skill is useful now.

It's pretty useful if you opted to play with no maims before death. Field Triage can be a life saver in desperate combat situations.

Of course, the maim failsafe renders it virtually obsolete.

I play POTD, TOI but with maiming turned on.  If maiming was off, then field triage could make the diff between life and death.  If your main character dies, it's GG.

Edited by luzarius
  • Like 1

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

Let me explain: restoring some health lets you adventure for a bit longer before resting. I use this ability all the time, so it's not completely useless. But the benefit is very limited, and not a very good use of talent slot.

Rumor has it Field Triage and Wound Binding was backers' idea, and added against designers' wishes.

Edited by b0rsuk

Why did Kana take Field Triage?

I don't see the benefits of this skill, anyone know what it's good for? Healing for 50 health seems, well, completely useless.

It's not a top tier ability by any means, but I've gotten some use out of it. Pushing someone from Red to Yellow, or Yellow to Green after a fight, or even using it mid combat for someone who was low red and starting to get the limited health.

I don't understand why Kana himself had the ability though. It doesn't seem to really mesh into his character concept (that I can recall) as well as some of the other picks.

Doesn't it work if the character is on 1 health and maimed (and would therefore die at the next hit) to bring them higher (and would therefore only be knocked unconscious at the next hit)? - allows for continued exploring with lower risk.  Or is the character still 'maimed' and then would die anyway?

'Wound Binding' annoyed me - I assumed it could be applied to any character but it's only usable on 'self' (which makes no sense from the name - should've been renamed).  'Luckily', my priest got a couple of uses out of it already.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Early on, it's not too bad. Sometimes you get into a situation where the only reason to rest is because a single character is low on health. Field Triage allows you to keep going with a little more confidence that this character will be OK. Unfortunately, this is one of those abilities that really suffers from the fact that nothing in this game scales with level -- in Act 3, it's basically useless as 50 health isn't going to make a difference even for the squishy classes.

I don't think it cures Maimed.

Rumor has it Field Triage and Wound Binding was backers' idea, and added against designers' wishes.

I mean... nothing in the game was added against the designers' wishes - they added what they felt like adding. :p

But they did originally not plan to have any permanent health healing in the game, and they did add it in response to the whining feedback of some backers. ;)

IMO they should've ignored that bit of feedback like they ignored the people asking for lock/trap XP... should've stuck to their guns on design decisions like that. But it is what it is. Whatever. :p

It is excellent if you are playing a melee wizard. 

My melee wizard has +2DR from a quest and sanguine mail using iron skin and kicking ass with her estoc an wizard buff skills. However, my character is the one that is keeping the party back from exploring if she takes random damage. Field triage is invaluable for this build at least. Also for low hp classes in general if you feel a fight is safe but then take damage from spells or an archer, you might have to go rest - with only ONE character being in danger. 

I usually go field triage on 2 of my supporting characters for this reason.

It's pretty useful if you opted to play with no maims before death. Field Triage can be a life saver in desperate combat situations.

Of course, the maim failsafe renders it virtually obsolete.

I get it now.   I play POTD, TOI but with maiming turned on.  If maiming was off, then field triage could make the diff between life and death.

Thanks!

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

• 4 months later...

I mean... nothing in the game was added against the designers' wishes - they added what they felt like adding. :p

But they did originally not plan to have any permanent health healing in the game, and they did add it in response to the whining feedback of some backers. ;)

IMO they should've ignored that bit of feedback like they ignored the people asking for lock/trap XP... should've stuck to their guns on design decisions like that. But it is what it is. Whatever. :p

They added nothing that they didn't in the end want to be in the game. They aren't saying, "well I don't think this works but people are asking for it, so **** it" when it comes to feedback. If you listen to them talk about it they are using it the same way a beta would be used, to see areas of design that can be improved upon.

The fact that you get to pick all your story companions levels is a great example of this.