IGN's Take On What Obsidian's Up To

kumquatq3

For those who stumble here and wonder what Obsidian is working on, this is an old news post by IGN talking about what they have heard:

Click Me!

A few bits from it:

Before reading the following the news, remember that none of the following information has been confirmed not denied, but we can assure you that our sources have never been wrong before. They've come through on many, many occasions, and we'd say everything we're about to tell you is more than likely fact.
A logical action to take after such success is to start planning the game's successor, and apparently, KOTOR 2 is under development. A few sources have already reported that the sequel has been greenlighted for a late 2004 or early 2005 release, and that the game's storyline - which is to take place many years after KOTOR's --will include a completely new cast of characters. But what few people are aware of is that the game is not being developed internally at BioWare, but in Orange County at Obsidian Entertainment. (At least that's what we hear.)

What? Who's this Obsidian Entertainment? Never heard of them? Well, search back through the files in your skull and you may remember an announcement made by BioWare back in August. The company announced a commitment to collaborate on future PC and console titles with Obsidian.

Also indicative of the studio's work on KOTOR 2 is the quote from Urquhart where he mentions that Obisidian will be working on "

Depressing really. I guess it will have the same consolised simplifications that all console RPGs do, and will be a lesser game for it. I want a good PC RPG ;)

Hey, I'll take a KOTOR2 happily, if it improves on a few certain aspects of KOTOR. I enjoyed KOTOR anyways tho.

EDIT: If ign is right, and kotor2 is a indirect sequel, it kinda sucks the story won't be continued in some fashion. The lackluster endings of kotor left me wanting.

KotOR2 needs semi-decent combat for me to even touch it.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

The combat system of KOTOR was very similiar if not exactly that of NWN. Which in turn is based off the d20 system. The reason for this combat system is because it's based off of character developement instead of player skill. If you make player skill more of an issue, then character developement becomes less important. The combat system had it's kinks, but I still enjoyed both NWN and KOTOR.

The combat system of KOTOR was very similiar if not exactly that of NWN. Which in turn is based off the d20 system. The reason for this combat system is because it's based off of character developement instead of player skill. If you make player skill more of an issue, then character developement becomes less important. The combat system had it's kinks, but I still enjoyed both NWN and KOTOR.

Er... no. The combat system was nothing like NWNs. It basically depended on queuing actions and then watching the ensuing cinematic. It sucked major time.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

The combat system of KoTOR is real time with pause, not turn-based, so its not exactly based off the D20 system. And its somewhat dependant of player skill, as all real time games are based off player skill. KoTOR and NWN use both character skills to determine combat outcome, and player skills to activate pause and targtet selection. Unfortunately clunky and not as good as either system on its own.

There's obviously underlying similarities to NWN but it plays quite differently. There's only a small number of useful feat/power selections at any given time and the lack of decent movement means there isn't a lot to do but queue the same actions over and over. The answer isn't making it more player-skilled based - it's making it more interactive.

There's obviously underlying similarities to NWN but it plays quite differently. There's only a small number of useful feat/power selections at any given time and the lack of decent movement means there isn't a lot to do but queue the same actions over and over. The answer isn't making it more player-skilled based - it's making it more interactive.

So true...but let's not overhaste things too much by saying: "Obsidian is doing KotOR 2" and start giving them suggestions based on that. Frankly, I think it's way too soon for that.

I will keep wish-lists far more general, no matter what IGN says.

So true...but let's not overhaste things too much by saying: "Obsidian is doing KotOR 2"
Everything we have points to that, and I think we have quite a bit.

Frankly, I think it's way too soon for that

you might be finding out sooner than you think, and no, I havn't heard anything anybody else hasn't.

If I were a betting man, and I am, I would be willing to bet Obsidian is working on KOTOR2. If I'm wrong, I am sure this quote will end up in at least two peoples sigs. :D

KOTOR uses a much more basic version of NWN's combat engine due to the lack of combat options and chocies. However, the main udnerlying workings of it is basically the same.

As for Obsidian, I'd rather them make an original game; but KOTRO2 is not a bad way to go if they fix KOTOR's weaknesses. *cough* controls *cough*

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Everything we have points to that, and I think we have quite a bit.

If you read carefully enough, everything you have is pure guesswork, and I don't bet on guesswork. You might want to do that, seeing that you are a betting man, but I want to hold on to my cards for a bit longer, until more facts come out.

But hey, I'm a careful man, and you're a betting man; we all have our opinions, and we all ventilate them in relative peace...right?.

If you read carefully enough, everything you have is pure guesswork
100% agree with that. I'm just saying its kinda like the whole VB/FO3 situation tho. How many clues, hints, and guess work are needed till the picture is pretty clear.

I just couldn't fathom it being anything else

But hey, I'm a careful man, and you're a betting man; we all have our opinions, and we all ventilate them in relative peace...right?.

If we end up actually fighting about this....that would be sad.

:) yeah, the big guessing has started, as usual. funny, that people don't have anything better to do. on the other hand, that's my first post on the obsidian boards, and i'm not looking for a fight. we don't have any real information on what obsidian is working on right now, so i think it's normal to try and figure out what they're doing.

ahem, what was my point? ... ah: hope, that obsidian is going to come up with something origial, new, and cool, not just some sequel or so. should that be the case, however, it's still ok, cause we know them guys of obsidian won't produce anything bad.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I personally think they're working on a KotOR expansion/sequel...but I wouldn't bet on it just yet. I can't see how they can be working on something original (for this first project) - based on the press-release, something KotOR-related seems to be the only fit.

I'd hardly think a sequel done by an entirely different company with an entirely different story would be repetitive... and besides, as long as someone's making Star Wars games (and you know they're gonna), they might as well be quality entertainment, right?

-Pax

I'd hardly think a sequel done by an entirely different company with an entirely different story would be repetitive... and besides, as long as someone's making Star Wars games (and you know they're gonna), they might as well be quality entertainment, right?

-Pax

I agree with you. KotOR was probably the best Star Wars game since X-Wing: Alliance. However, the Star Wars universe is not exactly open-ended. It consists of some races and some locations which you just HAVE to visit doing another KotOR. I also believe that Obsidian would make KotOR 2 different but they can't stray away too much from the path.

One thing is sure: A new scenario would be LESS repetitive than another RPG in a Star Wars scenario. And that is the pure and simple reason why I wouldn't prefer a KotOR 2 although it could be worse than that :)

Agreed. I would prefer a brand new project of their own design. However, I disagree and believe the Star Wars universe is very open ended. They can create their own planets and races at their leisure. Aside from a few planets you may have to visit in the sequel, they can do whatever they want with it. It would be interesting if the sequel took off where the first left with the Dark Side ending. Having to fight a battle against the Infinite fleet and the Sith. (With the possibility of becoming one yourself for you more sinister players)

However, I disagree and believe the Star Wars universe is very open ended. They can create their own planets and races at their leisure. Aside from a few planets you may have to visit in the sequel, they can do whatever they want with it.

Not exactly. Just think of KotOR 1. There were some new locations and some new race. But it was Star Wars. You can't just create a dozen new races and another dozen new planets. You HAVE to stay in the Star Wars universe. The very core of the game must be centered around Star Wars, the races, the planets we know. Of course you need to bring in something new. This is how it is open-ended. Star Wars plays in a universe and as such it actually is open-ended. You can create new races and planets as you like. But you have to bring in a big amount of well-known stuff for the game to stay stuff.

So we are both right. It is open-ended in the ideas for new life-forms and planets you can have but it is not in the ratio of new stuff to known stuff.

This will always limit the visions of the developers, they need to stay in that universe.

So Obsidian, cancel your Star Wars contract and give us a completely new vision B)

Regarding KotOR combat.

It was worse then bad, and it made NWN combat look good. But what I would love to know most of all is if the AI was composed of a random number generator choosing which attack to use. Furthermore, a monkey randomly typing compilable C++ code could have designed better combat.

BTW, since when did the Star War's universe force cliche jedi's to carry around 400 PDA's. Anyhow, the only way I would buy a KotOR2 is if it wasn't a lame console port that had a seriously tweaked engine, that would allow my character who can jump 40 feet in combat get over 2 foot rocks.

Combat in KotOR wasn't bad... Combat in KotOR was cool. It had lightsabres for crying out loud...

:)

I do agree it didn't have a wealth of tactical options to it, but it really REALLY didn't need it. The combat in KotOR, in fact the entire game, accomplished exactly what it set out to accomplish. Nothing more, nothing less.

Now, a sequel needs to improve in may areas and adding complexity to combat could be one, but it isn't necessarilly so. KotOR was a very streamlined game and complex combat could disrupt that which in turn really could make the game stutter.

If it turns out they are making Kotor 2, I think it's a very good choice. It gives a new studio, who most people in the market for RPGs have never heard of, a springboard to name recognition.

This would give them more leeway for future projects and would make their initial offering less or a sink or swim proposition, if it can expand on the success of the original.

If they are making a game in an original setting, I'd be much more worried. Even if it is a good game, it probably wouldn't sell as well as an established setting, especially something with the widespread appeal as Star Wars.

Also, I'm not sure exactly what people expect from the combat. I didn't think the combat in the first game was so bad; in fact the final push through the Star Forge was the first time I've actually found myself enjoying wading through hordes of enemies.