I guess so. Back to the original topic tho, in those quests there is definitive personality and world views to each faction, im not even talking about possible outcomes im talking about reasons for you to care/not care/hate them.

The quest in Galawain's Maw has none of it

The PC may not exactly care about the issues in the Maw's internal struggle, I can agree with that.   But since Galawain essentially charged the PC with resolving those issues as the way to earn his favor, that seems like reason enough for the PC to get in there and do it.  (Plus it moves the main plot forward.)

It's sort of like how a 3rd party arbitrator in the real world may not care about the issues between the parties in a case he's assigned (and legally speaking, probably shouldn't).  But if he's assigned to the case, it's his job to handle the arbitration, whether he cares about the issues or not.   In this case, Galawain basically made the PC an arbitrator in the Maw's problems and it was your job to deal with it, regardless of whether it mattered to the PC or not.

So in the quest to choose which of the "warriors" gets to rule, who did you pick and why?

I find myself feeling very "meh" about the whole thing. I see no right and wrong in any side, and no reason to support either. Especially since it seems like you're forced to kill whoever you don't support (I assume, didn't actually make a choice yet).

Also, am I the only one thinking this quest feels very poorly written and delivered? I mean the people there start talking to you about issues and characters like you already know about everything.

And what's the deal with the giant beasts?

I chose the bear over the lioness, and here's why.

There was a room not from from the front door where there was a table and one of the Maw's leaders who was sitting there pondering what to do.  On that table was a book of Galawain that talked about how when an old leader was charged with being too old, the leader should go out in the woods to prove himself worthy, yada-yada-yada.  So I took this lesson to heart and went back to speak to the lioness' human go-between.  I picked whatever dialog options fit this philosophy, and the lioness' person had a change of heart and decided that the lioness needed to fight her own battles if she wanted to prove that she continued to be worthy of her position, and promptly left the room, leaving my part alone with the lioness.

Unfortunately the lioness attacked me.  I was sort of hoping that she was going to leave her lair and fight the bear, but since she attacked the party, I had to defend myself and slay her.  Problem solved.  But I actually wish that situation had been scripted to have her leave the lair and fight the bear challenger, so that it didn't appear that the PC had picked a side in the fight so much as I had resolved the issue that was preventing the challenge fight from occurring in the first place.

Thats really cool. I don't remember having any dialogue options besides "you're right, i'll go kill the other guy" or "you're wrong[attack]"

Guess I need to read the book? I didn't know there was this kind of mechanic in the game....

I guess so. Back to the original topic tho, in those quests there is definitive personality and world views to each faction, im not even talking about possible outcomes im talking about reasons for you to care/not care/hate them.

The PC may not exactly care about the issues in the Maw's internal struggle, I can agree with that.   But since Galawain essentially charged the PC with resolving those issues as the way to earn his favor, that seems like reason enough for the PC to get in there and do it.  (Plus it moves the main plot forward.)

When does Galawain ever talk to regarding this quest? 0.o

So in the quest to choose which of the "warriors" gets to rule, who did you pick and why?

I find myself feeling very "meh" about the whole thing. I see no right and wrong in any side, and no reason to support either. Especially since it seems like you're forced to kill whoever you don't support (I assume, didn't actually make a choice yet).

Also, am I the only one thinking this quest feels very poorly written and delivered? I mean the people there start talking to you about issues and characters like you already know about everything.

And what's the deal with the giant beasts?

I chose the bear over the lioness, and here's why.

There was a room not from from the front door where there was a table and one of the Maw's leaders who was sitting there pondering what to do.  On that table was a book of Galawain that talked about how when an old leader was charged with being too old, the leader should go out in the woods to prove himself worthy, yada-yada-yada.  So I took this lesson to heart and went back to speak to the lioness' human go-between.  I picked whatever dialog options fit this philosophy, and the lioness' person had a change of heart and decided that the lioness needed to fight her own battles if she wanted to prove that she continued to be worthy of her position, and promptly left the room, leaving my part alone with the lioness.

Unfortunately the lioness attacked me.  I was sort of hoping that she was going to leave her lair and fight the bear, but since she attacked the party, I had to defend myself and slay her.  Problem solved.  But I actually wish that situation had been scripted to have her leave the lair and fight the bear challenger, so that it didn't appear that the PC had picked a side in the fight so much as I had resolved the issue that was preventing the challenge fight from occurring in the first place.

Thats really cool. I don't remember having any dialogue options besides "you're right, i'll go kill the other guy" or "you're wrong[attack]"

Guess I need to read the book? I didn't know there was this kind of mechanic in the game....

When does Galawain ever talk to regarding this quest? 0.o

Rev, I don't think that there was any underlying mechanic tied to reading the book, though I could be wrong.  I just chose the dialog options that best fit the book's philosophy.  And in this situation, that philosophy told me that an older challenged leader (i.e. the Lioness) shouldn't be hiding away in her lair but should be going out to face her challenger.

But there was some dialog option that gave the lioness's humans a reason to change their minds.  I just don't remember what the content of that dialog option was any longer.  Sorry.

As for when does Galawain talk to you, it's in the chamber of stars or whatever it's called.  (Pardon any potential spoilers)  IIRC it comes after you choose to seek Galawain's favor.  He gives you this obtuse watcher vision that included a bear and a lion that wouldn't fight, and that somehow this was a problem that the PC had to figure out.  There may have been something in there as well about the problem being at Galawain's temple, i.e. the Maw.

I just offed the both of em. This was a boring quest. I'm sure there'll be some description of the effects of killing the 2 beasties as is usual with these Obsidian RPGs.

I didn't find it boring in the least.  I found it a real challenge to try to figure out solid logical reason for who to choose.  Of course, if thinking is boring to you, then I can see why you found it boring.  ;)

• Like 1

Pretty much Act 3 has the same feel as this quest - foreign, seperated from the rest of the game. Transition from 1 to 2 was flawless, you would think 2 to 3 would go the same but you're essentially kicked out of DB and directed to TE, but when you get there its like a whole new story -

These guys arent affected by WL, they hate all but their own...definitely a bit disorientating.

And like others said, you just kinda walk in there and everyone's all 'Oh no Sul and Oneros, we need to make a decision, man!'

I just walked in the zone - wtf are you talking about?

The only reason I picked Sul (and continue to) is cause I see lions everywhere before making it to her lair.

Edited by Exyll