What Party Size is Best?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. What party size do you prefer?

• Four Party Members
    • Six Party members

I don't think there is ever a tactical situation in which fewer than 6 party members are preferable to 6. Also, one of my favorite parts of games like this are the interactions between companions and you get more of them with 6 characters. Thus, I always have 6 in my party (well, as soon as you can get five real companions -- I don't bother with the non-talkative ones).

• Like 1

With just 4 members, most optimized parties will be stuck with 1 healer, 1 blaster, 1 tank, and only 1 optional.  Can't push a flank, can't specialize you're party, can't reactively respond to changing circumstances.  No real room for tactics, just a single-player MMO.

5 or more characters create both the possibility and the need for tactical decision making.  No contest.

Also, more party members give you the option to carry around some less-than-optimal character for flavour and interactions. With only 4 party members, everything tends to need much more optimisation to survive.

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

How many folks are using 4 party members instead of the full 6?

Which is better in your opinion?

That poll is not very usefull unless you stipulate what you mean by 'optimum' here. E.g. do you mean in terms of beating the game? In terms of fun? In terms of completion? So people will be voting for different things here.

• Like 1

What Prime-Mover said, not hostile to the question just baffled by the choice of party size and nature of question.

What size party for power-gaming?

What size party for max role-plaeying?

What size party for optimum combat whup-ass?

Etc.

sonsofgygax.JPG

When story NPC's are involved, I like as many as possible. I want all the interactions, all the banters, all the story.

If I'm doing something like IWD, or just an adventurer party in this game, I like 4 NPC's. The classic set-up of tank, dps, healer, caster.

What Prime-Mover said, not hostile to the question just baffled by the choice of party size and nature of question.

What size party for power-gaming?

What size party for max role-plaeying?

What size party for optimum combat whup-ass?

Etc.

The question is not directed at a particular playstyle. I'm asking what size party folks prefer for whatever reasons

This is a non question.  There is way more than enough exp in game to get a full party of six to level 12.  6 level 12 characters beats 4 level 12 characters every time.  Short of wanting to test yourself there is no reason to play with less than 6 characters.

• Like 3

I take a party of six but that is mainly because I love the scripted companions.  Once I pick up the sixth companion I have a hard time deciding who to leave at the Stronghold.   

• Like 3

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Its obviously 4 vs 6 because those are the party sizes that CRPGs use. NWN and Dragon Age were dumbed down to just 4 party members, as are the latest spider web software games.

4 party members is lame because you need to always pick the same basic roles - healer, tank, offensive caster, weapon DPS. There's no room to try anything else.

Varies from person to person, but is based on the player's short-term memory. Very few players have trouble handling a party size of 5 or less, almost no one feels right managing 10 or more. The average person could handle a party of 7, but if you went with this several below-average players would feel off while playing; you don't want to design only for the top 70%. 5 or 6 is probably best answer from a design standpoint; I would have gone 5.

Edited by scrotiemcb

I find 4 a lot more manageable mentally. With 6 it's sometimes like you start giving orders, and by the time you're finished you're not sure what you told the first character to even do anymore (only in fights where microing is really needed of course, but those are what counts). It's definitely a valid point that 4 is more restrictive strategically, since it leaves a lot less room for characters who aren't extremely specialized. Maybe 5 is the sweet spot, I dunno.

• Like 1

In my experience, somewhere between 4 and 7 party members, an RPG tends to lose its focus on the individual characters and becomes more of a squad-level game. My personal favorite, in tabletop and video rpgs alike, is a party size of 5.

Having said that, in BG etc.. I minimized party size in the early game in order to gain the early levels faster. I haven't paid attention to the way xp are distributed in PoE but I've just started and had no opportunity to go beyond 4 so far. If total xp is distributed between the party members, that's a very, very strong incentive to go with 4.