Durance Romance Mod? (Possible spoilers?)

Hello,

I know this is jumping the gun given that the game doesn't have all of the expansion packs, and given that a modding framework hasn't been devised yet(and may be difficult given certain design choices). However, I know that a lot of people have wanted romantic options in the game given the lengthy romance threads, and it seems likely that if romances will exist in Pillars of Eternity, that modders will have to add them at some point.

Because of this, it seems reasonable to maybe start thinking on the groundwork of this, particularly the idea of modding a Durance romance. After all, Durance has a lot of the qualities needed for an interesting romance: complicated emotions, deep internal struggle, passion, you name it. There has never been a character more ready for romance in any IE style game in history than Durance(Look at all of the problems the BG2 chicks and Anomen had).

Here's what I'm thinking:
Requirements:

-Female (I'm getting more of a traditionalist vibe from him)
-Orlan (obviously)
-Priestess of Eothas (again, obviously)

Major themes would likely be his deep abiding love of Magran, and his sense of guilt at killing Eothas, where the romantic protagonist helps Durance overcome these feelings and find peace in switching over to becoming a priest of Eothas(I'm not sure how hard that'd be to change, or whether gameplay-rp separation would be necessary).

Obviously any suggestions would be helpful. (My apologies if this is the wrong forum)

• Like 4

Requirements:

-Orlan (obviously)

You want dirty old man to **** a female half his size, who most probably hates him for purges he committed against followers of her faith?

• Like 4

Hello,

I know this is jumping the gun given that the game doesn't have all of the expansion packs, and given that a modding framework hasn't been devised yet(and may be difficult given certain design choices). However, I know that a lot of people have wanted romantic options in the game given the lengthy romance threads, and it seems likely that if romances will exist in Pillars of Eternity, that modders will have to add them at some point.

Because of this, it seems reasonable to maybe start thinking on the groundwork of this, particularly the idea of modding a Durance romance. After all, Durance has a lot of the qualities needed for an interesting romance: complicated emotions, deep internal struggle, passion, you name it. There has never been a character more ready for romance in any IE style game in history than Durance(Look at all of the problems the BG2 chicks and Anomen had).

Here's what I'm thinking:

Requirements:

-Orlan (obviously)

Major themes would likely be his deep abiding love of Magran, and his sense of guilt at killing Eothas, where the romantic protagonist helps Durance overcome these feelings and find peace in switching over to becoming a priest of Eothas(I'm not sure how hard that'd be to change, or whether gameplay-rp separation would be necessary).

Obviously any suggestions would be helpful. (My apologies if this is the wrong forum)

I don't see anything obvious about either of these.

Orlan?  Really?  Dwarf seems like the obvious choice to me.

And I don't see why there's anything obvious about any particular class when it comes to whom Durance might want to romance.  Besides which, it makes things a lot more limiting. 

After reading the next paragraph, I agree that from the plotting PoV, having a priestess of Eothas would be useful for trying to get Durance to make a conversion.  OTOH, if a modder was really ambitious, why couldn't it be a priestess of any of the available faiths?  That way, there'd be the possibility of converting him to a bunch of different faiths.  That said, it would seem to me that this could be a real pain because so many of Durance's existing dialogs are related to him being a priest of Magran.  And yet, even if one went in the opposite direction and said that the romance could be with a female from any class except priest, wouldn't a Durance who's involved in a romance become a calmer, angry and frustrated person, thus making many of his angry anti-Magran rants seem out of place?

Anyways, just some things to consider.

Uh did you play the game?  Durance is like the LAST guy in the party that would convert into being an Eothasian.  The idea that he would want to enter into a romance considering how self centered and arrogant he is also sort of seems unlikely.

If I ranked the male companions on a scale of 1 to 10 on their likelihood to be a good romance option at all he would rank like a -10.  Even Hiravias is a better candidate for a romance mod.

• Like 3

Durance, the hideously disfigured man (pox, burn scars, battle scars) full of bitterness and misplaced anger towards his goddess, who greets your character with the express desire to test and torment you until your "soul is shards in a bag of meat?"

You want to romance that guy?

• Like 5

Well I know my innocent Priestess of Eothas wouldn't mind, but Orlan? Nah. Orlans are savages.

Uh did you play the game?  Durance is like the LAST guy in the party that would convert into being an Eothasian.  The idea that he would want to enter into a romance considering how self centered and arrogant he is also sort of seems unlikely.

If I ranked the male companions on a scale of 1 to 10 on their likelihood to be a good romance option at all he would rank like a -10.  Even Hiravias is a better candidate for a romance mod.

He's not self-centered or arrogant. Where'd you get that from?

Durance, the hideously disfigured man (pox, burn scars, battle scars) full of bitterness and misplaced anger towards his goddess, who greets your character with the express desire to test and torment you until your "soul is shards in a bag of meat?"

Yes.

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 4

t50aJUd.jpg

The fanfic practically writes itself.

• Like 7

For Firedorn all the Lads grieve

This Adam woke up next to Eve.

But beneath leaves of Fig,

He found Berries and Twig,

So Himself off a cliff he did heave.

There has never been a character more ready for romance in any IE style game in history than Durance

:lol:

10/10, would read again. What a way to appease romance supporters. Be careful what you wish for, eh?

Honestly, this thread has been a bit of a reminder of the importance of emoticons.  :p

Although to be fair, there have been worse romance mods made for BG2.... not to mention any names.

• Like 2

Although to be fair, there have been worse romance mods made for BG2.... not to mention any names.

Fair enough :p

Let's mod in Aerie and have her get in a life or death fight with GM over who gets to raise the baby.

Fair enough :p

Let's mod in Aerie and have her get in a life or death fight with GM over who gets to raise the baby.

One gave her life; the other gave her soul: Only one can be the mother. Next up, on HBO:s Pillars of Maternity.

• Like 5

t50aJUd.jpg

u wanna some of durance's other staff?

• Like 2

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

lol, to everyone seriously discussing this: I think the OP was joking... Where's your sense of humour?;)

Edited by Heijoushin

lol, to everyone seriously discussing this: I think the OP was joking... Where's your sense of humour? ;)

I agree but the whole idea was so repulsive I was overcome with temporary insanity.  Of course someone may have taken my Aerie mod crack seriously too so who knows....