I'm torn between The War bow, The Rain of Godagh Field, and the arbalests, Aedrin's Wrecker.

With the warbow, you can save a talent by not needing Gunner, the reloading penalty of the modal Vicious Aim has no effect (I belive). And the bow itself comes with the superb and speed mods. All these things seem pretty huge.

Wreck has of course, more burst damage, but most importantly a double chance on crit to inflict prone/stun. Does the arrow bounce talent also have a chance of prone/stun?

For people who have played with both, what are your opinions?

Its neither m8 , Blunderbuss are best for ranger , Lead Splitter would be one to begin with and all the better ones you can get , vicious aim , marked pray boosts the blunderbuss damage to the sky add envenomed strike and penetrating shots and you can 1hit low dr enemies on PoTd

My issue with blunderbuss is the - 10 to accuracy. This strikes me as a huge. I'm aware of how currently awsome the combo of envenomed strikes is with said weapon. Tho I shy away from per-rest abilties for obvious reasons. Also, in my current play thru, my cipher seems to be unwilling to give up Lead-Spitter. Also, with said weapon, I now I have to pick up the reload speed talent and be penalised by the vicious aim talent.

Edited by rahl

Lead Spitter, Dulcanale and Pliambo per Casitas are the best ranged weapons in the game, with Long-Feller, Forgiveness and Scon Mica's Roar not far behind (assuming full enchants with Excepional/Superb and <any> Lash on everything ofc). The Blunderbusses need Penetrating Shot to be viable against high DR targets.

Edited by cdd

Plambo is on the priest, the + 10 to accuracy talent given by her diety is to hard to pass up. To get Long-Feller I would have to pass up a unique passive to main character. I won't do that. I'm a min-maxxer.

Yes, the 5 DR by pass talent on range and melee are mandatory, I know.

Edited by rahl

I think I saw someone saying Envenomed Strikes don't interact with every shot of a Blunderbuss. I like the Lenas Er hunting bow with vicious aim, penetrating shot etc. Fast attack speed, extremely consistent damage dealing.

I have read the opposite, whats true? IDK

Lenas with it's DR mod is still less damage than The Rain. "if" the speed mod is not working due to a bug, it will be fixed at some point, I assume. What does Lenas have over The Rain? Cuz I'm not seeing it.

While I do appreciate all the comments, really, I do, no one has yet to comment on my orignal post. What weapon is better, and why.

Edited by rahl

I'd pick the Arbalest, that way you can take Gunner and don't need penetrating shots. Not only that, but the bonus talents on the warbow just aren't that good.

If you wanted to use a bow, there are better choices out there. If you want damage, the Arbalest is superior in this case.

Thank you, Akimbo. For your opinion.

The way I see it, you always need Penetration Shots. No matter what. 5 DR pass is huge, period. I honestly don't see how you can say " penetrating shots" are not needed.

It's not a matter of "I want to use bow". I'm indifferent to weapon type.

If you feel Arbalest is superior, in this case, the unique one Wreacker, you have to provide examples of why it is. What better choices are there that you mention? Yes, Arbalest has higher damage per shot, but, that does not equal to higher dps.

By picking hunting bow/war bow. You don't have to take gunner and not penalised by Vicious Aim. I feel, people are not taking this into account.

Edited by rahl

As said many times , Blunderbuss is a superior weapon to arbalest , with penetrating shots , and even tho Blunderbuss doesnt apply 6 envenomed strkes but it always apply the best envenomed strke out of 6 projectiles so : Your envenomed strke can miss , graze, hit or crit , and with blunderbuss out of 6 envenomed strikes the game will choose the one that crit , i saw this theorycrafting in envenomed strike thread . Also Blunderuss will usually do more damage than arbalest , only reason to use arbalest is if you got few more weapon sets unlocked so you use arbalest for first hit because it has 12 m range , and then switch to blunderbuss'es ,

also BOW's only works for rogues and even then arbalests are better , bow just does negative damage on Path of the damned , but with Ranged Rogue Sneak Attack+Crit build Bow can be viable , 

Also If you want to build Min/Maxed Pure Max Damage ranger  : You need 4 Weapon sets + 3 blunderbusses + fast reload weapon + quick switch , other builds dont even do half of the damage i played ranger since release on every party , finished game twice already with it , nothing can wreck face harder than 3 Quick Switched Blunderbuss with 3 Envenomed Strikes , after that your damage slows down ( if there are any enemies left after the quick switch barrage) thats why you need fast reload weapon like Forgiveness or Hold-Wall for 4th Weapon Set( even if hold wall doesnt work now with reload speed it will soon after a patch ) , also ranger has no good talents and this is what makes this build the best there is you take ranger skills and Offensive+Utility Talents 

Edited by Exoduss

Exoduss, I  appreciate your responce, trully. Thank you for taking the time. But as mentioned, Cipher is useing Leap-Spiter.

All range use Penetrationong shoots. I think that goes without being said.

You said bow only work for rogue, but did not back that up with anything. I confess, I don't understand what you mean. Yes, rogue opening from steath hits hard.  Dubious if thats better than say wizard opening with mass confuse or mass knock down. Doesn't seem the case. Also, topic is not about rogue.

I consider, fast swap between multipal range weapons to be cheese. It's not something I would take satisfation in abusing. To each there own.

My pick is Hold Wall arbalest (because of x1.2 attack speed) and swift aim ability, Reliable, decent speed, prone on crit - solid choice. Blunderbuss does glitch with bounce shot talent and need penetrating shot.

Also Sagani looks better with arbalest rather than firearm, but thats my personal bugs in head.

Edited by ErlKing

Exoduss, I  appreciate your responce, trully. Thank you for taking the time. But as mentioned, Cipher is useing Leap-Spiter.

All range use Penetrationong shoots. I think that goes without being said.

You said bow only work for rogue, but did not back that up with anything. I confess, I don't understand what you mean. Yes, rogue opening from steath hits hard.  Dubious if thats better than say wizard opening with mass confuse or mass knock down. Doesn't seem the case. Also, topic is not about rogue.

I consider, fast swap between multipal range weapons to be cheese. It's not something I would take satisfation in abusing. To each there own.

... okay

So Why Rogue works with a Bow : Sneak attack ( not the point ) , CRIT TALENTS ( Thats the point of the build ) rogue can stack ton of crit chance only from the class talents ( if you include racial its even more beast but i take wood elf still ) , thus making fast attacking bows crit more often and crit for huge damage because of sneak attack. Sneak Attack works on any debuffed target not only from stealth , also rogue can open from stealth using blinding strike and have it reset for the fight because its per encounter , and wizard can cast str8 after that. Enough about the rogue i dont rly like the class either i  prefer ranger.

Quick Switch being cheese? its a talent.... that requires building whole char arround it ( racial+specific guns+other talents) i dont understand you now :D that is like the purest non cheese way to get unique character in this game imo . using a Quick Switch talent is definetly not cheese . it actually reminds me of AC: Black Flag where you could have 4 guns and shoot them once each :D

If you got no blunderbuss'es for your ranger then going Arbalest with Gunner talent and Chanters reload chant is the only viable way , to do any damage . Bows works if you crit alot and ranger really doesn't . Also try to avoid investing any talents into your pet .

Edited by Exoduss

Lenas Er with high Int, the right equipement and stunning shots becomes the best weapon in the game. You can perma stun only with a hunting bow and that means enemies deflection reduced by 30 all the time, even more with Lenas Er (debuff which can stack multiple times) - in other words that means also close to perma criticals.

Hold Wall, it's speed mod is great, assuming it works, as a above poster said it doesn't. I can't see anyone taking swit aim over vicious aim, + 10 acc is too big to pass up. Aedrin's Wrecker blows away Hold Wall. So, I'm not sure why you brought this weapon up.

Quick switch a bit cheesy because there is one thing about switching weapons - if you switch right after shot it cancel recovery time, so you can shoot all your guns in 1 second. Actually you can take 2 warbows, pick penetrating shot + vicious aim and quick switch between bows after each shot - cheesiest ranger ever.

Well, I stack buffs for accuracy (paladin + priest) and throw debuffs (cipher + priest) so while 10 accuracy is nice it doesnt matter that much.

About arbalest pick - Hold Wall available right from start and I haven't got to Aedrin's Wrecker yet, though I dont know how much of improvement will be change "x1.2 attack speed" for "stun chance on crit".

Exoduss, I'm fully aware of how rogues work. Not the point of the post. I just want opions of these two weapons. That is unfortunitly hard to get.

Your right tho, swift swap is a game mechanic. And technically not cheese. I personaly would not get satisfation of useing these talents.

Erlking, Accuracy is huge, it's not just about chance to hit, the more you have, the less chances of glaze hits, better change of crits. Saying that acc is not that big of a deal is a lack of understanding of the game. Sorry to be harsh. But your clueless.

If your your not aware of Wreackers stats, the best arbalest in the game by far, why even post.

Edited by rahl

When target stuck, prone and paralyzed there is no graze attacks and arbalest not so great for crits anyway.

Hold Wall x1.2 + Swift Aim x1.2 - recovery boost and Swift Aim x1.5 - reload boost make big difference in terms of dps. Maybe not as impressive as high number crits, but this way work better for me.

If your your not aware of Wreackers stats, the best arbalest in the game by far, why even post.

What do you mean? Superb quality? What stops me from enchanting Hold Wall to superb?

Weapons differ only by enchantments (base stats all same), so weapon with most useful unique enchantments win, thats why I compare x1.2 attack with stun chance. If you not going to argument your opinion "why even post".

Edited by ErlKing

God, Erlking, your killing me.

I know the stats on Hold Wall, everyone does, cuz it's in the first town, why are you listing it? Do you belive your the holder of some secret knowlege?

You could have googled Wreacker and saved yourself a pointless post. HoldWall max dam is 41, Wreacker is 56, that is a mammoth difference. Not all weapons are the same, WHY do you assume they are? Wreacker can stun on crits + the prone that is on all arbalests.

Fully aware of the importance of speed on weapons, BUT if the above post is to be belived, it's currently bugged and not providing the bonus.

Thank you for your common knowledge on how enchants work.

My post is about two differnt weapons, and why one is potationaly better than the other, if you have a opion on that I'd like to hear it. Why people are assuming they have a basic knowledge great than mine of this game is painful.

Edited by rahl

I know the stats on Hold Wall, everyone does, cuz it's in the first town, why are you listing it? Do you belive your the holder of some secret knowlege?

You could have googled Wreacker and saved yourself a pointless post. HoldWall max dam is 41, Wreacker is 56, that is a mammoth difference. Not all weapons are the same, WHY do you assume they are? Wreacker can stun on crits + the prone that is on all arbalests.

Fully aware of the importance of speed on weapons, BUT if the above post is to be belived, it's currently bugged and not providing the bonus.

Thank you for your common knowledge on how enchants work.

My post is about two differnt weapons, and why one is potationaly better than the other, if you have a opion on that I'd like to hear it. Why people are assuming they have a basic knowledge great than mine of this game is painful.

I don't know where you're getting these numbers, but I just checked the numbers from Gamepedia and it says Hold-Wall is 22-32 while Aedrin's Wrecker is 32-46. I assume this is with 0% effect from might and you know what? The only difference in damage is the fact that Aedrin's wrecker has superb enchant on it. If you add that superb enchant to Hold-Wall you'll have the exact same damage number on the weapons.

All weapons of the same type can be enchanted to have the same damage (provided they have enough crafting points left). Weapons with procs on critical hits are interesting mostly for rogues who can convert normal hits into crits. For a ranger, until he gets stunning shots, Borresaine is a better choice because with enough speed you could hit again while your target is stunned and crit (because you benefit from the low deflection) and stun again.