One huge problem I have with combat

When selecting a target for a spell, the spellcaster will cast the spell at the spot you cast the spell, not where the enemy has moved since you told them to cast the spell.

This is pretty annoying, especially if you want to get something like Arcane Assault off early in the fight. It's counter-intuitive that the UI shows you casting at a specific target, yet when you actually cast the spell it targets the ground.

It would be just as annoying to have AoE spells lock onto a target. You'd end up nuking yourself half the time as they moved in. It's very important to place your AoE's so you don't get caught in the friendly fire.

Anticipate, or wait until the front line is engaged and things have settled down a bit. Think of it like throwing a grenade. They don't follow whoever you threw it at either, and P:E enemies don't try to run away from the AoE at least.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I'm not saying every AoE should do this, that would be very silly, indeed. But I think certain AoEs with a small area should do this. At the very least the UI shouldn't imply that you have targeted an enemy by causing the arrows to appear within their unit circle.

I'm still not understanding the complaint here, for me using Arcane Assault I realised it didn't track enemies the first time I used it. When a fight starts, most of the time your front liners and the enemy are going to run towards each other and engage in the middle, making it trivial to predict where to use Arcane Assault. Even if the enemy does something slightly unexpected, the reasonable AoE of Arcane Assault (at least combined with Aloth's Armour and some Int boosting equipment) means that you're not really punished for not predicting precisely where the enemy is in the first place. You can also just wait until them have engaged if you want to be 100% sure you're going to hit, granted you're then not whacking out spells as fast as you could have been but most encounters you're not going to be using a spell anyway.

I'm not saying every AoE should do this, that would be very silly, indeed. But I think certain AoEs with a small area should do this. At the very least the UI shouldn't imply that you have targeted an enemy by causing the arrows to appear within their unit circle.

The UI is telling you that the target where it currently stands is within the area of effect. Its not implying anything, you just assumed it was. Want some unintuitive UI to complain about? Try to work out how you delete Journal Notes and get back to me.

Its certainly in no way a huge problem with combat.

• Like 1

When selecting a target for a spell, the spellcaster will cast the spell at the spot you cast the spell, not where the enemy has moved since you told them to cast the spell.

This is pretty annoying, especially if you want to get something like Arcane Assault off early in the fight. It's counter-intuitive that the UI shows you casting at a specific target, yet when you actually cast the spell it targets the ground.

Some spells are cast at the target while others are cast at the ground.

How to tell the difference?

If the game lets you cast the spell at the ground, then it's casting at the ground.

Try to work out how you delete Journal Notes and get back to me.

Is there actually a way? I've tried to delete them but had no joy - I've settled for editing old notes.

Double-click on the note (you'll get no feedback that you double-clicked, but its a necessary step iirc) then hit DEL on the keyboard.

Told you it was intuitive ;)

Try to work out how you delete Journal Notes and get back to me.

Is there actually a way? I've tried to delete them but had no joy - I've settled for editing old notes.

Double-click on the note (you'll get no feedback that you double-clicked, but its a necessary step iirc) then hit DEL on the keyboard.

Told you it was intuitive ;)

Then again, it's probably a feature almost nobody would ever care about, since the number of quests is not that big to begin with.