Will this game kick off a new wave of DND games?

Al a like when Neverwinter Nights came out? I DND is a great system that was never fully intergrated for video games till Pillars came out.

This isn't DnD though.

[grognard]3rd Ed was the only *REAL* D&D.[/grognard]

There are soooo many RPG systems designed since D&D crawled out of the swamp, it would be nice to see some variety.   Which is what this game has.

I'd love to see a RIFTS video game. (Not counting that N-Gage handheld quickie of a game.)

I never really liked the system Palladium uses, but I love that setting.

Palladium is a strange duck. The whole "megadamage" thing is a crap mechanic, but the setting is made of equal parts crazy and awesome.

A game changing the rule-set slightly shouldn't be viewed with malice. The point of D&D is that it helps add structure to what is basically grown adults with successful careers spending a few hours playing make believe with each other. It's meant to act as a guide, not a cage. If a game developer tweaks a couple of the rules associated with D&D to make the game more enjoyable than he hasn't done anything worse than people who make up house rules to help make their gameplay more enjoyable. 

5th Edition is pretty good. It's end result is very similar to pathfinder, but much more streamlined and coherent. If I didn't already spend a bunch of money on all the crap for pathfinder I'd probably prefer it. 

Edited by Akos

Al a like when Neverwinter Nights came out? I DND is a great system that was never fully intergrated for video games till Pillars came out.

This isn't DnD though.

I suspect I was playing OD&D when you were swimmin' in daddy's ballsack, son.

• Like 2

sonsofgygax.JPG

Good God, Monte!  :Cant's at a loss for words icon:

I'm forty-five and I began my DnD experience in 1979.  On Guam.  That means about 1975 in modern world terms.  So, I literally started in the first edition.  So, I qualify as an ol' skooler and I think 3.x is the best edition.  Of course, I disliked 4th and never tried 5th or 6th, so I can't comment.  Just saying that for many 'grognards,' 3rd was the best edition.

...But, please, leave our daddy's genitalia out of it.

On the other hand, 'setting' is a poor argument.  A skilled designer can make something great out of a lackluster setting, while even the best of settings falls apart in the hand of a poor designer.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Pillars of Eternity represents the creme de la creme of western hardcore RPG.

Highest funding ever on kickstarter.

Superstar developers from the IE RPGs

A proven gaming studio loved by the hardcore fans.

Extensive coverage from mainstream gaming media and the rave reviews that came with it.

Even with all that PoE sales still only hovers around the 300k mark.

So no. I doubt this will start a new wave of hardcore, DnD-like, CRPGs

Edited by Iankas

Dungeons & Dragons is designed for tabletop games, with humans calculating everything. It's quite bad for realtime games. You could never have Intelligence increase enchantment duration by seconds in D&D. Time is measured in rounds, all measurements are based on small integers. PoE system just works better. Sure it needs some work and balancing, but it's a very good foundation for a computer game.

How much did Baldur's Gate 1 sell back in the day ?

I don't know what this will be like to play, but D&D is hardly dead as far as PC gaming is concerned.

https://swordcoast.com/

I'm sorry about the ball-sack comment, :D

I broadly agree that 3E was probably the crunchiest iteration of D&D and Pathfinder the best modern tabletop RPG out there. Although like many grogs, the uber-simplicity of back-to-the-dungeon OD&D clones like Labyrinth Lord and OSRIC still appeals.

sonsofgygax.JPG

This isn't DnD though.

The original AD&D was meh. 2nd Edition is a load of bulky, hard to comprehend, thematically inconsistent and mechanically inept horse****. 3rd Edition was Gods own personal gift to nerds, carried from on high to be spread around the world by Gary Gygax, the Avatar Incarnate of the RNG.

I would like to see someone finally make a crpg using GURPS or some other rpg system without climbing HP. Last one I remember was Drakensang and it's prequel.

Drakensang and it's prequel use The Dark Eye -rpg system. Which has climbing health (if you mean that you get more health during level ups), although it also has wounding system that allows killing high health character's without need to take characters vitality to zero. I don't remember if Drakensang had some alternations for this system.

I am also little confused about OP's message, as PoE don't use D&D, even though it uses lots of similar mechanics. And most of the D&D games that come out after NWN were already in production before it come out or they were add-ons to NWN. Although there were NWN2 and Dungeons & Dragons Online several years later.

Highest funding ever on kickstarter.

Um.... not even friggin' close, dude.

Like.... just no. It's #10 on the Top 10.

And only title that it ever held was highest funded game in Kickstarter, mantle that it lose few months later for Torment Tides of Numenera, which lost it for Exploding Kittens card game.

The original AD&D was meh. 2nd Edition is a load of bulky, hard to comprehend, thematically inconsistent and mechanically inept horse****. 3rd Edition was Gods own personal gift to nerds, carried from on high to be spread around the world by Gary Gygax, the Avatar Incarnate of the RNG.

I'm talking about OD&D grey-box version although admittedly most of my early gaming was 'Basic' D&D followed by 1st Ed. AD&D. I missed 2nd Ed entirely, we were playing RuneQuest by then.

But, yes, Blessed Be His Garyness, the High Gygax and may the Geek-Lords bathe his immortal soul in sweet Mountain Dew.

sonsofgygax.JPG

One of my biggest pet peeves about recent DnD games is the usual bull**** 'lets just Nerf everything to uselessness for balance!.

Like in DDO - 'OMG how dare people play necromancy specced wizards and instakill everything? Add 10 second cooldown to finger of death and 60 seconds to wail of the banshee. Give every named monster in epic difficulties death spell immunites.

Oh, and lets not forget monsters with over 10k HP while my spells still only do PnP damage numbers.

This isn't DnD though.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Really? Many people were seriously put off by 2nd Ed AD&D. I was one of them. The franchise collapsed under munchkinism, splat-books and the Forgotten-bloody-Realms. Lorraine Williams / TSR / hubris / collapse...

2nd Ed AD&D killed the game. 3rd Ed resurrected it.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

Obsidian has been interested in D&D in the past, but the reason you haven't seen D&D games recently is because that license is caught up in a bunch of corporate suits who have no idea what they want from D&D PC games and have done a really poor job of greenlighting any major D&D release. 

Sword Coast Legends was recently announced calling itself the 'return of D&D', but gameplays suggest that it's not using full D&D rules, and it has cooldowns, 'Mordekainen's Sword II' and other oddities. 

I have no idea if Hasbro/WOTC/etc will get on the wagon anytime soon. 

Yeah I was very excited about Sword Coast Legend until I found out they're using cool downs for spells and abilities. What an awful design decision. :(

D&D3 is only any good compared to AD&D.

It's the best of the D&D, by far. Of course it's worthless tripe compared to half the other PnP's out there. I have a special place in my heart for D&D, but is far from the best system...or even a particularly good one, really.

• Like 1

Paranoia is Security Clearance VIOLET. Any further discussion will be considered treason. Please proceed directly to the nearest terminal for re-education.

Thank you for your co-operation, and remember: the computer is your friend.