Will this game kick off a new wave of DND games?

Obsidian has been interested in D&D in the past, but the reason you haven't seen D&D games recently is because that license is caught up in a bunch of corporate suits who have no idea what they want from D&D PC games and have done a really poor job of greenlighting any major D&D release. 

Sword Coast Legends was recently announced calling itself the 'return of D&D', but gameplays suggest that it's not using full D&D rules, and it has cooldowns, 'Mordekainen's Sword II' and other oddities. 

I have no idea if Hasbro/WOTC/etc will get on the wagon anytime soon. 

• Like 1

I don't see why, really. D&D hasn't been taking point for a long time now, but it hasn't exactly been dead, so there's no reason Pillars of Eternity would suddenly make D&D take off or cross-pollinate or whatever.

t50aJUd.jpg

Guest BugsVendor

People have ears and they listen.

Gaming companies noticed the success of this game without a doubt.

I don't know if this will be exactly D&D, 100% old style experiences but we will definitely see a come back of rpgs just because it's good business.

Step in the right direction in gaming the way I see it.

Bioware is going to copy this game, adding fabulous glitter all over the place and making sure all the women look like men, except for two, that seems to be their balance.

• Like 2

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

People have ears and they listen.

Gaming companies noticed the success of this game without a doubt.

I don't know if this will be exactly D&D, 100% old style experiences but we will definitely see a come back of rpgs just because it's good business.

Step in the right direction in gaming the way I see it.

It ain't good business for publishers to sell 300-500k in first week or two. They'll just say, "we were right! Those niche CRPGs don't sell anywhere near enough for us."

• Like 1

Isnt like every single CRPG game we got in last few years made by KickStarter Campaign? How is it bad business to get whole sum for game donated and then take all the earnings as profit , this is more like a financial fraud where people dont rly get scammed except that they get half of product ( talking about bugs on release that took atleast 3-5 patches to fix for every single CRPG we saw in last few years and hey PoE is no different half of talents are there just for lolz with description but no effect ) 

I miss Faerun. I would be super happy to go on a new crpg adventure in that world.

Sadly, WOTC trashed that world as part of their big '4th edition is the greatest thing ever,' push.

Now it's just a generic points-of-light fantasy setting.

Mark my words :

First good CRPG of new gaming age , WONT be funded by Kick Starter 

As soon as some company will decide to make next gen CRPG without KS , they will invest their own money and deliver 25 times better product than all of the Bugstarter crap , now there is just no point to not get lazy and start slacking when you already got paid for the game before you started creating it 

Mark my words :

As soon as some company will decide to make next gen CRPG without KS , they will invest their own money and deliver 25 times better product than all of the Bugstarter crap , now there is just no point to not get lazy and start slacking when you already got paid for the game before you started creating it 

This prediction is clearly not based on past events.  And if you didn't think PoE was good you should just let go of your dream because it's unlikely anything better is going to be made anytime soon.

Edited by Atheosis
  • Like 2

hasbro is acting like GW when THQ closed, they are giving their licenses to everyone

Neverwinter MMO sucks

atleast GeeDuubs is hitting the target with their games, mordheim is awesome, and vermintide will be L4D2 on Skaven Roids

and TW: Warhammer Fantasy will be announced this year

Edited by Shadow_Arms
  • Like 1

Mark my words :

As many flaws as PoE has, it's a lot better than the pure dung that has come out non-kickstarter productions in the last ~12 years.

In fact, I'd say almost all of the flaws that PoE has are inspired by that pure dung or by design concepts that were at the heart of that pure dung.

The sad truth is, that it's probably not going to get any better than PoE or D:OS.

• Like 1

Mark my words :

Um, so either a publisher will pay for the game, in which case the developers won't be using their own money, and will be subjected all the potential meddling that comes with that, assuming anyone wants to even bother funding such a niche genre, or some start-up company makes a much smaller, low budget game, because one like this would be way out of their scope. 

It would be nice if more indie folks would make more games like this, at least. I don't need oodles of them every year nor do I need them to be super high AAA budget, would just be nice to see more.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Quite satisfied not to see any D&D games.  PoE is most definitely not a D&D game.  The D&D games in the past that I liked, I liked for reasons other than the creaky old game system.  Often the biggest faults I found in those games were in the way that D&D was shoehorned onto the game where it works better on the tabletop than run by computer, and the rigid fanatical adherence to whatever the latest ruleset was (probably insisted upon by WotC before they had out the license).

There are soooo many RPG systems designed since D&D crawled out of the swamp, it would be nice to see some variety.   Which is what this game has.

It would be nice if more indie folks would make more games like this, at least. I don't need oodles of them every year nor do I need them to be super high AAA budget, would just be nice to see more.

Completely agreed.

I suppose there was ToEE, which had a pretty good CRPG combat system based on D&D rules.  But the past aside, I'm hoping PoE turns into a franchise, with improvements coming in the future as they see what works well, and what didn't work as well.  Since they aren't beholden to D&D rules, they have the freedom to tune and improve the system as they wish.  I'll be plenty happy just to get more games like PoE from Obsidian, as long as they keep trying their best rather than "phoning it in" for future instalments because they focused all their resources on a contracted AAA title.

Honestly I enjoy PoE more than any CRPG I can recall in the past 10 years.  The big budget games mostly went the dumbed-down route to sell into the mass market to recoup the $100 million development costs.  I'm a lot happier with what Obsidian did with $4 million!  IMHO they beat the crap out of the AAA titles.

• Like 1

Mark my words :

I quite enjoyed Shadowrun: Dragonfall, thought Shadowrun:Seattle was pretty decent, enjoying the hell out of Pillars of Eternity, and dyyyyyying for Star Citizen and Torment.

I'm pretty happy Kickstarter is around.

• Like 1

This prediction is clearly not based on past events.  And if you didn't think PoE was good you should just let go of your dream because it's unlikely anything better is going to be made anytime soon.

Mmm... I have high hopes for T:ToN. Although it's going to be so different that 'better' or 'not as good' will be a difficult comparison to make.

And there's P:E2...

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

There are soooo many RPG systems designed since D&D crawled out of the swamp, it would be nice to see some variety.   Which is what this game has.

I'd love to see a RIFTS video game. (Not counting that N-Gage handheld quickie of a game.)

I never really liked the system Palladium uses, but I love that setting.