What class do you play as?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. What class do you play as?

2. 2. Continued

It's because paladins and rangers both suck and you're all terrible people for playing as them. Seriously, you should feel ashamed that you picked a **** tier class and should uninstall the game..

Just kidding calm down.

It was a poll limitation, there was a limit at 10 options and there's 11 classes. Also with the amount of salt being spread around with all the "Paladins suck" threads, I figured it would be fun to dump a whole canister and laugh at the results.

Edited by Laz0r

Paladin in any D&Desque CRPG. Tank and face all in one (good thing Charisma Resolve is still the conversation stat). And in this game, Charisma Resolve gives you armor class too!

Eder was looking pretty jealous of the 150 passive Deflection my Pally was pulling by endgame. 'Course, he was built as tank/dps hybrid  :-

Exoduss, on 14 Apr 2015 - 11:11 AM, said: 

also secret about hardmode with 6 man party is :  its a faceroll most of the fights you will Auto Attack mobs while lighting your spliff

Monk, an active class with a lot of potential, but requires some thought to reach it.  I enjoy cipher quite a bit too, another active class.

how is monks potential working on POTD seems like most useless class to me 

get hit get 9 wounds almost die , hit some spells miss all of them like GEEGEE the masterclass 

Edited by Exoduss

Monk, an active class with a lot of potential, but requires some thought to reach it.  I enjoy cipher quite a bit too, another active class.

how is monks potential working on POTD seems like most useless class to me 

get hit get 9 wounds almost die , hit some spells miss all of them like GEEGEE the masterclass 

Great class on hard, I've never tried PotD.

My usual go-to role playing character for D&D was a fighter/ranger with high Dexterity and Wisdom who specialized in twin swords (longswords or scimitars), stealth, and always made sure to fit great cleave into his build. He is meant to be a bit of a reckless fighter who enjoys being in the thick of combat and attacked enemies with relentless fanning slashes meant to overwhelm several opponents at once. Such recklessness demanded a certain amount of fearlessness, which is why his wisdom score would be a priority even though it's not usually considered a min/max stat for front-line fighters. He was absolute hell if he managed to get the drop on enemies backline (stealth) where he could eviscerate mage and healer alike. 

In Pillars of Eternity the Barbarian class fits this character like a glove with Carnage, Frenzy, and One Stands Alone allowing him to cleave through several opponents at once. I like that barbarian also has several empathic powers based around causing enemies to cower in fear as I can't imagine anyone passively watching this guy eviscerate your friends wouldn't make you question your chances of survival. 

While he is geared more towards bringing pain, I've built him so he can hold his own in a fight without needing to rely on Eder to tank everything for him. This gives me a bit of a safety net for when things go badly and I need a back up tank, and ensures that my main character can support his reckless combat style. That and I just personally dislike the idea of him breaking apart like a wet paper bag if daddy Eder isn't there to baby-sit him. Not very heroic. 

I rolled a priest first expecting it to be as equal as the D&D 3.5 cleric. Was disappointed cause of the lack of offensive spells, not saying that priests aren't a good class they are just well suited for support in PoE. Rerolled a druid atleast this class has a spell that resembled Storm of Vengeance, shame that wearing full plate has a huge downside still.... This is the class that reminded me the most of 3.5 clerics.

Edited by dimvision

Storm of Vengeance

A 9th level spell? This first installment of PoE is a low-mid level campaign (not that that stopped the devs from giving casters game-breakingly powerful spells like mass Petrify, mass Paralyze, mass Confusion...).  Priests do get a number of powerful Burn damage spells, especially the higher level ones. They're one of the few classes I think it makes sense to give Scion of Flames.

Edited by mazeltov

also secret about hardmode with 6 man party is :  its a faceroll most of the fights you will Auto Attack mobs while lighting your spliff

Storm of Vengeance

A 9th level spell? This first installment of PoE is a low-mid level campaign (not that that stopped the devs from giving casters game-breakingly powerful spells like mass Petrify, mass Paralyze, mass Confusion...).  Priests do get a number of powerful Burn damage spells, especially the higher level ones. They're one of the few classes I think it makes sense to give Scion of Flames.

Yes I know, like I said I was "EXPECTING" them to be on par with 3.5 clerics which are complete powerhouses... y'know given Obsidian's history with D&D based games.

Yes I know, like I said I was "EXPECTING" them to be on par with 3.5 clerics which are complete powerhouses

Oh yeah, Clericzilla. Balance Man put the kibosh on that. Which is not to say that the game is anywhere near balanced, of course; some classes just got more hits from the balance bat than others.

Now that I think about it, any class can feel like a 20th level druid by using Maelstrom scrolls. Maelstrom is basically Storm of Vengeance from D&D. I crafted half a dozen for Kana to use in the last two endgame zones.

Edited by mazeltov

The modified poll is not helpful - it tells me that I have to vote in both polls. :)

Same issue here.

Anyway, my class is ranger, with the antelope. I chose between druid and ranger, mostly because of shape****ing and the animal companion. I especially liked how you were supposed to coordinate attacks with your animal companion. I haven't really seen anything of this yet (lv5), but it is still a fun class. I don't care about powergaming, so the fact that other classes are more powerful doesn't bother me. It is good enough for me, which is all I care about.

Wizard. Only because I've played spellcaster types and I love being able to make things explode while purely dealing tremendous amounts of AoE damage. The irony of this statement is that I expected the wizard to do this without researching DnD properly and found out that DnD wizards are more crowd control than pure AoE damage. Still, a change in pace and playstyle is always nice and though I find the wizard to be a bit on the OP side at the later levels, I think it's fun. Imo, it would be more fun if the wizard had a balanced early level and balanced late level experience.

Wizard. Only because I've played spellcaster types and I love being able to make things explode while purely dealing tremendous amounts of AoE damage. The irony of this statement is that I expected the wizard to do this without researching DnD properly and found out that DnD wizards are more crowd control than pure AoE damage. Still, a change in pace and playstyle is always nice and though I find the wizard to be a bit on the OP side at the later levels, I think it's fun. Imo, it would be more fun if the wizard had a balanced early level and balanced late level experience.

I like playing as casters too, but my vision of a caster is always a thin, slightly pencil-necked book worm kinda guy. It's cliché sure, but that's my vision.

My problem with PoE is that I have to have high might to have high damage output (I like nuker/evocation types). But in PoE might corresponds to physical strength & spiritual strength.

Seeing an 18 next to might for my scarecrow thin toon doesn't sit well with me. It just grates on my OCD sensibilities too much. Especially if I then look at Edér's and see he is 2 points lower - and he's supposed to be muscular tank warrior.

Can't my character be spiritually strong but physically weak? Why are these two things combined?

That said... Been playing through with a rogue. Pretty fun so far.

Given the mechanics of magic in this game - that you only cast IN combat and can't pre-buff and you can't use spells to ambush (fireball from a distance a la BG/IWD games), I think I prefer it.

Wizard. 

Because why play a fighter and kill stuff...

... when you can play a Wizard with 873 buffs that transcends you to godhood and cleave people to pieces with your greatsword instead.

Wait, you made a spellsword? Could you message me the build? I would be very interested.

Edited by Venatio

Wizard. 

... when you can play a Wizard with 873 buffs that transcends you to godhood and cleave people to pieces with your greatsword instead.

Wait, you made a spellsword? Could you message me the build? I would be very interested.

Starting stats:

Might: 16+

Con: 6-7

Dex: 16+

Per: Dump

Int: 16+

res: 16+

Play as a regular mage until lvl5-6.

The buffs you want to make it viable in difficult fights are:

Displaced Image (+25 deflect, +20 reflex save)

Vital essence (+100 endurance)

Ironskin (+8DR)

Bulwark against elements (+15DR vs elemental)

Alacrity (+1.5x attack speed) Note: Allows you to wear plate without attack speed penalty. 

The support spells you'd want most are:

Expose vulnerability, Slicken.

Weapon: I recommend Estoc or greatsword. 

When you get your 6th lvl spell, martial power - you get:

+20 might, con, dex, deflect, accuracy, deflection. 

You will be strong without buffs, but with all buffs up - your wizard will be more powerful than any other melee fighting class. I expected this playstyle to fail against difficult encounters, but it became the opposite. With your buffs up (playing on hard) you can defend easily vs 1-2 melee attackers. The real strength of a spellsword is that in addition to being a powerful melee fighter - you have CC spells and debuffs (most notably expose weakness and slicken) to aid your team.

Untitled_zpsfo3teva5.jpgUntitled2_zpsi9uwllei.jpg

Wizard. 

Because taking the time to cast those 873 buffs is not everyone's cup of tea. I'd be more inclined to play such a character if buffs weren't auto-dispelled after every fight.

I haven't voted in the poll for now because 1) I don't usually stick to a single class and 2) there's a few I haven't tried yet. I tend to play melee characters more than other types, although not exclusively.

Wizard. 

Because taking the time to cast those 873 buffs is not everyone's cup of tea. I'd be more inclined to play such a character if buffs weren't auto-dispelled after every fight.

I haven't voted in the poll for now because 1) I don't usually stick to a single class and 2) there's a few I haven't tried yet. I tend to play melee characters more than other types, although not exclusively.

In most fights you don't need buffs, or just 1-2 if they are moderately hard. The cast-times are not problematic. It takes less than 5 seconds to cast (at max) the 5 best buffs.

A fighter / barb / monk will always be good. A melee wizard can rival them in unbuffed strength with the right talents and gear. But in a very hard fight - the fighter / barb / monk will be kinda static in strength - while a superbuffed wizard (about 4-5 seconds max to buff, no more time than what it takes to position your party) will outperform them. 

Buff list

+11 DR

+20 might

+20 con

+20 dex

+20 acc

+25 deflect

+20 reflex

+15 elemental DR

+ 100 endurance

... can be achieved in 5 seconds, like I said, no more than whats needed to position at the start of the fight. The whole idea is - you are strong w/o buffs, but godly when it matters most.